Overland LX570 Gets a Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks sharp!

Interested in the net weight gain. Have you been weighing it all?

I should have but didn't as I was still cutting and fabricating pieces. Winch also has cable still on it and I'll be spooling it with synthetic. Still need to tear it apart one more time so maybe I'll get around to it then.

Looks great. I'm impressed with your creative approach and fabrication skills.

Something about those recovery points has me wondering how they'll hold up. It's all beefy steel, but when I imagine the forces involved, I see something getting bent or ripped off. Maybe just crazy talk on my part. Only time will tell.

I ended up trimming plastic grill grating to make an access port for the clutch lever. It wasn't great, but was better than always having to go in from above.

The structural concern is a good question and it's something I've been working. I'll say the shackle mounts started as stylistic elements as I didn't just want the hawse fairing in the middle without accents to widen the facade. Knowing myself, I'd have a hard time leaving anything non-functional. What's not shown well is that the bumper horns and crash winglets are sistered into the HWM in a way that considerably strengthens the structure. There's even the stock lower skid plate bracket that bolts into the middle of the HWM. No qualms about pull load. And should offer substantial triangulation and stability just short of the shackle mounts for any other funny forces. The last short untriangulated section is really beefy 1/4" steel, whereas most steel bumpers use 1/8" or 3/16". The shackle mount itself will be welded in around it's periphery and rosette welded through the plate so no way that's going anywhere.

Of course, it's all theory and maybe one day I'll be able to put it to the test. The stock recovery points just below will stay which is a good way to distribute loads if I ever need to use the winch and a doubler.

Last edited:
Looks nice and clean! I wish trail tailor could create one for the early lx570 since i dont possess any of these skills

love the depth you're going to!
I've never seen one of those hidden winch mounts up close, but it looks like it uses the 8 crashbar studs. I recently posted this concern for the guy that's building his own bumper, but not sure if you saw it:
I stripped 2 of my horn bolts during dissent install, and had to grind/bang them out. During the process, I managed to bend the little 1/8" (maybe 3/16"?) plate that holds the bolts. I think those 8 bolts are only meant to hold the crash bar in place - during a front impact, the force pushes the crash bar into the actual frame. It looks like the HWM pulls forward on those bolts (away from the frame). In the pic below, you can see how the plate is bent back a bit (and then in place after I torqued everything down.
I know there are a lot of TT HWMs out there, so maybe this is a non-issue...

View attachment 2888298

View attachment 2888299
I had the bumper mounting plates gusseted to the frame on my rig when I installed my winch bumper. I doubt it’d do much in a crash but it should help add strength when winching

Looks super nice teck, your sleeper theme is getting serious. I like it.

Did not know about those maxx jacks either until I peeped yours… that’s an intriguing product.

Max Jax - yeah, have them to support my other 911 Turbo toy as everything is done from underneath. Too bad it won't handle the 200-series as it's over the 6k capacity. Then again, AHC makes everything easy to access underneath on the LX.

1642277935680.png

Looks nice and clean! I wish trail tailor could create one for the early lx570 since i dont possess any of these skills

Honestly, I think Jason @TRAIL TAILOR already has 95% of this product ready. Sure it won't have the crash bar integration but not everyone is looking for that.

Borrowing a picture from @supercarrera with an early prototype, Trail Tailor is already mounting the winch low and back as I modded mine to be. It comes down to the fairlead integration and on the early LXs. Prototypes situate it at a fairly steep angle. My preference was to make for a more substantial cut, similar to what a hybrid winch bumper would be. I preferred this style, and it has some advantages of allowing winch access which is necessary to really use the winch anyways. The bumper will be cut regardless of style - a fairlead hole with a lower grill cut behind license plate for access, or as I cut mine - so there's no getting around that.

It comes down to what the market wants. I think if you or others were to express to Jason that this style of fairlead integration works, I think he could make it turn key with minor tweaks to existing prototypes. Or turn it into a real hybrid winch mount bumper. I surely wouldn't mind he took this idea and ran with it, as I've benefitted from his original work and product just the same. Just want to see more built LXs. :)

1642278673883.png

1642278706098.png

Max Jax - yeah, have them to support my other 911 Turbo toy as everything is done from underneath. Too bad it won't handle the 200-series as it's over the 6k capacity. Then again, AHC makes everything easy to access underneath on the LX.

View attachment 2894614
I have a maxjax and put the 200 on it...

I would put a stock LC on the MaxJax as they are in the 5,600lb curb weight range stock. Just as I've put my previous LX470 100-series on it that was in that weight range. The LX570 is 6,000 to 6,300 in the newest variants, against the 6k rate MaxJax. Maybe if I pulled the wheels which should pull about 400lbs off? Built 200s are probably well beyond any of the weights quoted above. I'm being conservative as all lifting equipment has requirements for significant design margin above and beyond rating.

Looks sharp!

Interested in the net weight gain. Have you been weighing it all?

Tore it apart and got some weights.

Total net weight added (66 + 25 - 8) = 83lbs
EDIT: More accurate weights: Total net weight added (49 + 6.5 + 2.5 + 25 - 8) = 75 lbs

Warn 10 with power cables = 49 lbs
90' 1/2" synthetic line = 6.5 lbs
Warn aluminum fairlead = 2.5
HWM plate = 25 lbs
Stock crash bar 24 lbs, removed center section = (8 lbs)

Last edited:
Putting everything back together for the final time. Pulled the cable from the winch and it's more unwieldy and heavy than I expected. 20lbs for 90'. For comparison, the 90' of synthetic line I'm spooling back is just over 6lbs. So correction on the Warn winch total weight is ~58 lbs including aluminum fairlead. Pretty happy I'm getting a functional winch setup for 75 added pounds!

1642378403041.png

Here's detail of how the crash bar wing is sistered to the HWM. The crash horn is welded in and integral to the HWM. There's no deflection anywhere in this thing which is probably a good thing for structure, but not so good for softening full frontal impacts. It's all a trade.

1642378128084.png

Small overlap crash performance between the Jeep and Bronco has been in the news lately. It's important enough to me which is why I'm going through the complexity of keeping the wings. Interesting vid.

Last edited:
Why did you go with steel vs. synthetic? Especially since it seems like weight is a big factor for you (no bumpers or a winch previously). Don’t see too many steel ropes anymore.

Why did you go with steel vs. synthetic? Especially since it seems like weight is a big factor for you (no bumpers or a winch previously). Don’t see too many steel ropes anymore.

The Warn 10S (synthetic) came at a premium (+$250) with some accessories I wanted to change like the included steel fairlead. Instead of paying the premium and paying again to replace things, I figured I could get the cable version and buy the aftermarket pieces I wanted.

Calling this one done. All buttoned up. I still need to spool the new line but need to sort out what I'm doing to make an end loop first. Will save that for another day. The Warn VR EVO 10 remote function is nice. Nothing to plug in, just hold the power on the remote to turn on, that's it. Same remote works in wired fashion if the batteries (3x AAA) are dead.

Access from below is good. Should make it reasonably easy to use and or spool. The HWM plate is tied in with the stock skids and beauty panels so it's hardened pretty well from underneath.

1642479355656.png

Like all your mods - you display an envious amount of DIY capability and fabrication skills. Also, a nice well lit garage 😉

Well done.

Calling this one done. All buttoned up. I still need to spool the new line but need to sort out what I'm doing to make an end loop first. Will save that for another day. The Warn VR EVO 10 remote function is nice. Nothing to plug in, just hold the power on the remote to turn on, that's it. Same remote works in wired fashion if the batteries (3x AAA) are dead.

Access from below is good. Should make it reasonably easy to use and or spool. The HWM plate is tied in with the stock skids and beauty panels so it's hardened pretty well from underneath.

View attachment 2897430
Very sporty! I have the TT concealed plate in the basement waiting on this sort of motivation…

Nothing to see here. Just another Lexus ready for some mall'in.

1642555131045.png

Any reason for the evo 10 over evo 12?

In my end cost is about 10% more, specs are same outside of capability

Reasonable question and outside of incrementally more cost and weight, should drop in similarly.

For myself, I've strived to really watch weight and balance, as I need to keep as much payload as possible for the trailer. Not too much and not too little. Hoping to make it just right across use cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom