Time to sell my Montero and buy a LX! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They aren’t without their issues.. do some digging and read about cold weather triggering a flashing light that will prevent 4Lo engagement. Or as mentioned steep places like Moab causing evap codes that will prevent the computer allowing it.

But we are working through all that stuff. Teckis has a great write up on rehabbing the actuator assembly, and a Bluetooth code reader can get you into 4lo to get out of a trail.

They aren’t without their issues.. do some digging and read about cold weather triggering a flashing light that will prevent 4Lo engagement. Or as mentioned steep places like Moab causing evap codes that will prevent the computer allowing it.

But we are working through all that stuff. Teckis has a great write up on rehabbing the actuator assembly, and a Bluetooth code reader can get you into 4lo to get out of a trail.
So Just read up on that and my Gen3 Montero has the exact same issue regarding fuel boiling up causing evap codes if thats what you mean. There was a Mitsu TSB that resolved that issue, one of the issues if it happens is it will suffocate the Charcoal canister resulting in evap codes.

A majority of modern fuel tanks work somewhat the same now so I am just going to link what I wrote regarding it because it MAY help. But then again I only spent 10 minutes on the topic for the cruisers.

Yes, love modern emissions. The evap code, aka Moab code. Agreed with these modern cars, it's necessary to have an OBD code reader as part of a kit.

There's nothing about AHC that inherently prevents it from handling the Rubicon. Or being severely built out and heavy. So long as it's maintained, protected with skids near the frame rails. It has robust capacity stock, but can be modified for further weight handling, beyond 2k payload is not a problem. If anything, in my mind it has some merits that can help.

Stock high mode can already put it up 2+". If you add a sensor lift to the normal position, say 1.5", that's touching on 3.75" lift in high with just that. If it detects being hung up or turtled, it'll go another 1" to extra high, which puts it at 4.75". Won't even matter what payload you have as that lift doesn't sag with weight.

Any tire lift will add to overall lift, and if running the Rubicon, is likely going to be a 34+ tire, so add another 1.5" and your at an easy 6+" total lift.

If you do decide the system is not for you, rip it out, and choose from the myriad of LC suspensions. The LX just starts with a suspension that is up to enthusiast pursuits for no cost up front. With the LC, you've likely got to commit to a new suspension pretty quickly off the bat.

I totally agree...
AHC is a beautiful thing... it's one of the best features in LX.

Yes, love modern emissions. The evap code, aka Moab code. Agreed with these modern cars, it's necessary to have an OBD code reader as part of a kit.

There's nothing about AHC that inherently prevents it from handling the Rubicon. Or being severely built out and heavy. So long as it's maintained, protected with skids near the frame rails. It has robust capacity stock, but can be modified for further weight handling, beyond 2k payload is not a problem. If anything, in my mind it has some merits that can help.

Stock high mode can already put it up 2+". If you add a sensor lift to the normal position, say 1.5", that's touching on 3.75" lift in high with just that. If it detects being hung up or turtled, it'll go another 1" to extra high, which puts it at 4.75". Won't even matter what payload you have as that lift doesn't sag with weight.

Any tire lift will add to overall lift, and if running the Rubicon, is likely going to be a 34+ tire, so add another 1.5" and your at an easy 6+" total lift.

If you do decide the system is not for you, rip it out, and choose from the myriad of LC suspensions. The LX just starts with a suspension that is up to enthusiast pursuits for no cost up front. With the LC, you've likely got to commit to a new suspension pretty quickly off the bat.

I think it goes without saying that I just mean the Montero needs alot more attention than other vehicles, plus I am starting to get excited on learning and wheeling a different and more capable platform with a solid rear axle instead of IRS

Coming from the Montero, a difference that might take getting use to for technical wheeling is the larger size of the 200. It is really bigger than ideal for some of the tighter and more technical tracks. No doubt, the challenge can be fun, but it can also be a drag. Nothing more lift and tire can't solve right?

Coming from the Montero, a difference that might take getting use to for technical wheeling is the larger size of the 200. It is really bigger than ideal for some of the tighter and more technical tracks. No doubt, the challenge can be fun, but it can also be a drag. Nothing more lift and tire can't solve right?
and true sliderssssssssss

@TeCKis300

”On and off road. I'm not just throwing superlative words together. And there's lots more specifics that can be said. I'll say some, including myself would consider it rash and arguably a downgrade to go to a static suspension. Which can be excellent in specific use cases, but will won't touch the overall performance and bandwidth of AHC.”

Don’t mind Teckis300…he goes beyond superlatives at times…to the point of being fictional. :D He once compared LX to a Porsche Cayenne in handling!

On-road, LX handles worst than LC. LX does tow better due to self-leveling and squats for old people/children to get in/out. But handling-wise, AHC in Lexus LX is worst than Land Cruiser’s KDSS. This is fact.

Off-road, at normal height, LX is lower than LC. At max height, LX matches LC mostly in terms of approach, breakover, and departure angles. This is fact.

But at that max height, LX articulation gets worst than LC significantly. This is fact. At max height, the ride quality of LX turns bad. Pogo stick bad.

”Sensor” lift is great to get big tires on there…i think 35”. Great…something that LC cannot do without getting aftermarket lift kits and trimming. But sensor lift will negatively affect ride comfort, handling, and longevity.

Forget about what Teckis300 claim about towing above limit…that’s utter nonsense! He goes out of engineering envelope with towing and tire pressures….YET dear goodness, he loves his PREMIUM gas! LOL

Take everything you read on internet, esp. Teckis300 (and me for that matter) with a grain of salt. Good luck in your search. Do your research and see which one of us is right. :)

And don’t get me started on AHC complexity, hard to diagnose, hard to fix, expensive to fix, etc.. Heck, even Lexus dealers refuse to touch it, even when Owner’s Manual states to flush it every 60k.

Last edited:
Well, I bought an LX 4 years ago. Mostly based on price. Any 200 would have been fine with me, TLC or LX. The name or lack of name meant nothing to me as they are 90% the same truck, with the LX just having more bells and whistles, including the apparently divisive hydraulic suspension.
It's a fine rig and I never worry about it. It drives comfortably and quietly for hours at any speed I want, and will take on and complete any terrain I point it at. There are now enough aftermarket support in LX or TLC to get any armoring or build out stuff easily, and most items have been installed multiple times and well documented.
I don't think you can go wrong either way, just get what meets your price and condition criteria.

@TeCKis300

”On and off road. I'm not just throwing superlative words together. And there's lots more specifics that can be said. I'll say some, including myself would consider it rash and arguably a downgrade to go to a static suspension. Which can be excellent in specific use cases, but will won't touch the overall performance and bandwidth of AHC.”

Don’t mind Teckis300…he goes beyond superlatives at times…to the point of being fictional. :D He once compared LX to a Porsche Cayenne in handling!

On-road, LX handles worst than LC. LX does tow better due to self-leveling and squats for old people/children to get in/out. But handling-wise, AHC in Lexus LX is worst than Land Cruiser’s KDSS. This is fact.

Off-road, at normal height, LX is lower than LC. At max height, LX matches LC mostly in terms of approach, breakover, and departure angles. This is fact.

But at that max height, LX articulation gets worst than LC significantly. This is fact. At max height, the ride quality of LX turns bad. Pogo stick bad.

”Sensor” lift is great to get big tires on there…i think 35”. Great…something that LC cannot do without getting aftermarket lift kits and trimming. But sensor lift will negatively affect ride comfort, handling, and longevity.

Forget about what Teckis300 claim about towing above limit…that’s utter nonsense! He goes out of engineering envelope with towing and tire pressures….YET dear goodness, he loves his PREMIUM gas! LOL

Take everything you read on internet, esp. Teckis300 (and me for that matter) with a grain of salt. Good luck in your search. Do your research and see which one of us is right. :)

And don’t get me started on AHC complexity, hard to diagnose, hard to fix, expensive to fix, etc.. Heck, even Lexus dealers refuse to touch it, even when Owner’s Manual states to flush it every 60k.

Glad you're paying attention. :)

This Montero discussion brings back some fond memories of my 1995 Montero, which was my first SUV. It was a nice solid vehicle, but aftermarket support didn’t exist for it at the time.

This Montero discussion brings back some fond memories of my 1995 Montero, which was my first SUV. It was a nice solid vehicle, but aftermarket support didn’t exist for it at the time.
For the Gen2 your year, aftermarket is still meh but we all got creative with solid axle swaps or fabbing new shock mounts

^^^not on T4R.org. My cousin has an 01 Montero 3rd gen (not sport) and he loves it. We recently discovered an issue with brake master pump. Motor went bad. He then rebuild the motor yet motor runs constantly. Then we replaced the accumuator and problem solved. It is sad to see many montero's going into junk yards simply because of failing accumulator ($150 OEM new). IF you can spread the message about this failing accumilator (which then wears out the motor) in montero forums we can save few remaining Monteros.

One more thing. You can buy all OEm parts from Dubai via partsouq.com.

^^^not on T4R.org. My cousin has an 01 Montero 3rd gen (not sport) and he loves it. We recently discovered an issue with brake master pump. Motor went bad. He then rebuild the motor yet motor runs constantly. Then we replaced the accumuator and problem solved. It is sad to see many montero's going into junk yards simply because of failing accumulator ($150 OEM new). IF you can spread the message about this failing accumilator (which then wears out the motor) in montero forums we can save few remaining Monteros.

One more thing. You can buy all OEm parts from Dubai via partsouq.com.
Yup I had my whole unit fail which I replaced. The accumulators are similar to the LX470 and 4th Gen4runners.

Many 3rd gen owners know about the issue now and we have documented it right now. And yup I love partsouq! Hope to use it when i get my LX

All i know about AHC is that you should 100% listen to @Madtiger on the subject. :)
In all seriousness though, he is the grindstone to smooth our AHC loftiness.
Or maybe i just like and respect a guy who will slander something others oversell?

No but for real though, AHC is great when you replace shocks, globes and fluid and buy a new pump.
IM JOKING, but it needs maintenance. (there is one actual fact here for anyone still reading).

Jokes aside there is ONE and only ONE criteria you need to consider between LX and LC.
Do you like your wood real or real fake? :) :)

No no seriously though, its really about do you like your seat leather to crack first or your steering wheel?
LOLOLOL

this is fun.

All i know about AHC is that you should 100% listen to @Madtiger on the subject. :)
In all seriousness though, he is the grindstone to smooth our AHC loftiness.
Or maybe i just like and respect a guy who will slander something others oversell?

No but for real though, AHC is great when you replace shocks, globes and fluid and buy a new pump.
IM JOKING, but it needs maintenance. (there is one actual fact here for anyone still reading).

Jokes aside there is ONE and only ONE criteria you need to consider between LX and LC.
Do you like your wood real or real fake? :) :)

No no seriously though, its really about do you like your seat leather to crack first or your steering wheel?
LOLOLOL

this is fun.
No seriously…as much as i crap on AHC (for good reasons), the LX is a phenomenal SUV. I dislike my LC interior…you guys know how much i hate the fake wood. Hard plastic. Fake aluminum. Fake door handles. I can go on and on. Pure crap for a $90k car…in today’s market, it is like a $110k car!

LX interior is just sumptuous. Beautiful. Classy. The mouse entertainment is a disaster but i am sure that i can learn to tolerate it. (I have not learn to tolerate the fake wood in my LC in contrast.)

I think LX exterior is pretty damn nice too, even the 2016+ ones. Those 21” rims…love them…yes i know that they suck off-road…but sure is pretty.

My Montero has a real wood steering wheel - soooo real? I guess?

Does the AHC control the shock valving as well? I was reading the thread of turbo8 and saw he deleted the system and added traditional shocks. When he pulled out the OEM AHC shock, that thing is massive - the shaft looks beefier than any stock OEM suv shock and seems thicker as a Koni RAID maybe?

I guess after taking about AHC, my next question is - is it easy to pull out the rear DVD system? It appears the center stack on the 570 (08-12) seems very integrated into the vehicle, as you have climate settings there - so I assume no way to get carplay unless I install those expensive GROM Vline2 units?

My Montero has a real wood steering wheel - soooo real? I guess?

Does the AHC control the shock valving as well? I was reading the thread of turbo8 and saw he deleted the system and added traditional shocks. When he pulled out the OEM AHC shock, that thing is massive - the shaft looks beefier than any stock OEM suv shock and seems thicker as a Koni RAID maybe?

The shocks are passive as are the globes, its the solenoids who actuate damping rates, and the pumped fluid volume that creates the lift.

Not a hard system to deal with, just that it takes a little more care, and you are ECU bound as all other controlled systems so its pretty locked down.
Nothing wrong with the shocks and they are not any more leaky than anything else OEM as far as i know. They also age like everything else.

If you want to rip it out, it would still sort of make sense outside of the labor. You could save on the truck, and recoup money on any salvageable AHC components.

I guess after taking about AHC, my next question is - is it easy to pull out the rear DVD system? It appears the center stack on the 570 (08-12) seems very integrated into the vehicle, as you have climate settings there - so I assume no way to get carplay unless I install those expensive GROM Vline2 units?
GROM or one of the full screen/hvac control replacements (there are a few "name brand" and then a bunch on ali express). I think i've finally convinced myself to get a GROM. But waiting for another group buy...500 is ridiculous enough, 650 is too much for the cheapskate in me.

The shocks are passive as are the globes, its the solenoids who actuate damping rates, and the pumped fluid volume that creates the lift.

Not a hard system to deal with, just that it takes a little more care, and you are ECU bound as all other controlled systems so its pretty locked down.
Nothing wrong with the shocks and they are not any more leaky than anything else OEM as far as i know. They also age like everything else.

If you want to rip it out, it would still sort of make sense outside of the labor. You could save on the truck, and recoup money on any salvageable AHC components.
After reading and hearing everyone back and forth, I think I am going to keep AHC for a while and wheel the truck like that, I already got over the whole overland phase of bolting stuff up so I travel pretty light as it is. Thanks for the knowledge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom