Builds 2002 HZJ76 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went from a 2-way 4ohm 20watt RMS to a 4ohm 3-way 60watt RMS and the difference is sound quality/clarity is palpable.

Finished look:

20211215_123120[1].jpg

Ok, so the latest cold snap brought out the gremlins to be dealt with...

With the really cold snap... (-15C to -25C) the poor cruiser was not starting great... took a few tries unless I fed it a fair bit of fuel. First guess was something I never did take the time to baseline as it is an easy fix. I ordered a new set of bosch glow plugs for about $120 incl shipping.
glow.jpg

I proceeded to replace all 6 and decided to test the old ones once I had them out. Turns out only 3 of 6 were actually good/working. That would definitely do it! Starts a lot cleaner, easier, and no smoke again. Will see how it does at -15C or colder whenever it drops again. It was a balmy -5C when I changed them out.

Since it was so nice out, I decided to put in some Cerwin-Vega 4" speakers up front as well, and it all went fine and the speakers do sound great! In order to get the right side in, you end up taking out the dash and cluster. Well I had the cluster still all attached and just laying on the dash, and I decided to make sure the speakers are working ok so I turned the key on and made sure all was working, turned it back off, then buttoned everything up.

However the next time I went out to use the cruiser - my speedo, odo, tach and gauges were not working except for the fuel gauge... I tore it all open again and realized the little ground filament burnt in the back circuit "board" because the metal dash must have grounded out a screw somewhere!! 🙄:doh:

Sigh - live and learn... total noob thing to do. I was glad to see this "circuit board" is a replaceable piece on its own and is actually a soft lay-on type to the back of the instrument housing. Courier delivered to the door for $100 cdn. Part #83861-6C070 Plate, Meter Circuit, Toyota

The gauges themselves should be ok, once the circuit board is replaced, as it appears it is just one little spot (common ground?) that burnt, we will see. Everything starts and runs and works as per yuge.

Us non noobs will continue to do noob things, buddy. It keeps things interesting.

I'm interested to see how the Bosch glows do. I put on OEM ones in my kzj90 daily, and it doesn't have quite the same quick start as it did when the OEMs were 100%. But Bosch is usually very good so maybe you'll get good service life?

The OEM speakers are... Wow. Eh? I need to get at mine too...

Ok, so the latest cold snap brought out the gremlins to be dealt with...

With the really cold snap... (-15C to -25C) the poor cruiser was not starting great... took a few tries unless I fed it a fair bit of fuel. First guess was something I never did take the time to baseline as it is an easy fix. I ordered a new set of bosch glow plugs for about $120 incl shipping.
View attachment 2888836

I proceeded to replace all 6 and decided to test the old ones once I had them out. Turns out only 3 of 6 were actually good/working. That would definitely do it! Starts a lot cleaner, easier, and no smoke again. Will see how it does at -15C or colder whenever it drops again. It was a balmy -5C when I changed them out.

Since it was so nice out, I decided to put in some Cerwin-Vega 4" speakers up front as well, and it all went fine and the speakers do sound great! In order to get the right side in, you end up taking out the dash and cluster. Well I had the cluster still all attached and just laying on the dash, and I decided to make sure the speakers are working ok so I turned the key on and made sure all was working, turned it back off, then buttoned everything up.

However the next time I went out to use the cruiser - my speedo, odo, tach and gauges were not working except for the fuel gauge... I tore it all open again and realized the little ground filament burnt in the back circuit "board" because the metal dash must have grounded out a screw somewhere!! 🙄:doh:

Sigh - live and learn... total noob thing to do. I was glad to see this "circuit board" is a replaceable piece on its own and is actually a soft lay-on type to the back of the instrument housing. Courier delivered to the door for $100 cdn. Part #83861-6C070 Plate, Meter Circuit, Toyota

The gauges themselves should be ok, once the circuit board is replaced, as it appears it is just one little spot (common ground?) that burnt, we will see. Everything starts and runs and works as per yuge.
Where did you get this bosch from? I think I will need to replace mine to at some point and I'd rather upgrade for cold temperature too

Us non noobs will continue to do noob things, buddy. It keeps things interesting.

I'm interested to see how the Bosch glows do. I put on OEM ones in my kzj90 daily, and it doesn't have quite the same quick start as it did when the OEMs were 100%. But Bosch is usually very good so maybe you'll get good service life?

The OEM speakers are... Wow. Eh? I need to get at mine too...
Thanks Phil, yep... trying not to be too hard on myself... as far as life lessons (and I have had some doozies!) this is a fairly inexpensive one. I have never had a bad experience with a Bosch product, and have used many many sets of their glow plugs. These ones come with a 2 year warranty as well. It would not be fair for me to compare with the OEM glows because when I was starting it cold, it was only running on 3 cylinders. Knowing this now, I am amazed it started at all or as well as it did. So obviously the difference is HUGE for me. It literally starts almost immediately when I turn the key, and there is no smoke at all. Now bearing in mind this is around -5C, so in colder temperatures, there may be a little more complaint. But that said, we are now in our usual weather here in the Okanagan with above 0C in the daytime and below at night.

For the low cost of decent speakers nowadays, it is definitely an upgrade worth doing! But now with the crisp clear sound, I am wanting a small sub! LOL - it never ends.

Thanks Phil, yep... trying not to be too hard on myself... as far as life lessons (and I have had some doozies!) this is a fairly inexpensive one. I have never had a bad experience with a Bosch product, and have used many many sets of their glow plugs. These ones come with a 2 year warranty as well. It would not be fair for me to compare with the OEM glows because when I was starting it cold, it was only running on 3 cylinders. Knowing this now, I am amazed it started at all or as well as it did. So obviously the difference is HUGE for me. It literally starts almost immediately when I turn the key, and there is no smoke at all. Now bearing in mind this is around -5C, so in colder temperatures, there may be a little more complaint. But that said, we are now in our usual weather here in the Okanagan with above 0C in the daytime and below at night.

For the low cost of decent speakers nowadays, it is definitely an upgrade worth doing! But now with the crisp clear sound, I am wanting a small sub! LOL - it never ends.
@Rigster, I just installed the same replacement speakers last night in my 78. Same speakers, deteriorated lol. I like your hack for the factory mount, I just found some steel strapping and custom bent some brackets and that worked too. I found a 6" sub on Amazon and was able to get it rigged into the back door but it was a little hairy. Does your back door have a small factory subwoofer in it? Are you still using factory head unit?

Thanks,

Where did you get this bosch from? I think I will need to replace mine to at some point and I'd rather upgrade for cold temperature too
Hey bud! You have nearly the same machine as mine, these would be a direct fit. I like dealing with Online Auto Parts in Australia. The have impeccable customer service, answer questions promptly, and ship out really quickly. These are the glow plugs I ordered here. They also have a great "parts match" algorithm on there site that makes it easy to check that it is for your exact vehicle. Just enter your 2001 KZJ78 3 door wagon as your vehicle and it will filter parts that don't fit your machine when you do a search. A great, well designed site, and backed up with great customer service.

NOTE: add in another 20% on average to your order as you will get dinged duty and taxes on entry to Canada. OAP does have sales from time to time (black friday, New years) so I try to order then. But their prices are already competitive, so if you cannot wait to order on a sale, then it is still ok by the time it lands at your doorstep.

@Rigster, I just installed the same replacement speakers last night in my 78. Same speakers, deteriorated lol. I like your hack for the factory mount, I just found some steel strapping and custom bent some brackets and that worked too. I found a 6" sub on Amazon and was able to get it rigged into the back door but it was a little hairy. Does your back door have a small factory subwoofer in it? Are you still using factory head unit?

Thanks,
Hey bud! Glad to hear you are all over that nice new "family wagon"! :D

I did not know they even made a 6" sub, I thought 8" would be the smallest. Good to know! I don't have a subwoofer currently, but the back door was exactly where I was thinking it could go, lol. The factory head unit was a cassette player, which I was surprised to see in a 2002 vehicle, so that, along with all the other Japanese electronic paraphernalia they seem to love (I think I emptied 20lb of wiring and devices when I got it here - lol) was pulled and tossed. I also took out the factory slide out cupholders below the head unit and stuffed in an android stereo. It is a cheaper chinese make I picked up for about $120, but it is pretty neat, it has GPS and maps, can be online through bluetooth to your phone, can be operated via voice command... for example, I can tell it to search for a song on the USB I have connected to it in the glove box and it will play it for me...

Wait... do you have to change your login name now that you changed cruisers??? 😯🤔

Last edited:
Hey bud! You have nearly the same machine as mine, these would be a direct fit. I like dealing with Online Auto Parts in Australia. The have impeccable customer service, answer questions promptly, and ship out really quickly. These are the glow plugs I ordered here. They also have a great "parts match" algorithm on there site that makes it easy to check that it is for your exact vehicle. Just enter your 2001 KZJ78 3 door wagon as your vehicle and it will filter parts that don't fit your machine when you do a search. A great, well designed site, and backed up with great customer service.

NOTE: add in another 20% on average to your order as you will get dinged duty and taxes on entry to Canada. OAP does have sales from time to time (black friday, New years) so I try to order then. But their prices are already competitive, so if you cannot wait to order on a sale, then it is still ok by the time it lands at your doorstep.

Thanks, Mate for the head's up! Next year is the engine rebuild + turbo upgrade with transmission so that will come handy

Hey bud! Glad to hear you are all over that nice new "family wagon"! :D

I did not know they even made a 6" sub, I thought 8" would be the smallest. Good to know! I don't have a subwoofer currently, but the back door was exactly where I was thinking it could go, lol. The factory head unit was a cassette player, which I was surprised to see in a 2002 vehicle, so that, along with all the other Japanese electronic paraphernalia they seem to love (I think I emptied 20lb of wiring and devices when I got it here - lol) was pulled and tossed. I also took out the factory slide out cupholders below the head unit and stuffed in an android stereo. It is a cheaper chinese make I picked up for about $120, but it is pretty neat, it has GPS and maps, can be online through bluetooth to your phone, can be operated via voice command... for example, I can tell it to search for a song on the USB I have connected to it in the glove box and it will play it for me...

Wait... do you have to change your login name now that you changed cruisers??? 😯🤔
Yes, I should. FJ40 that green thing was about 5 cruisers back so I just gave up on it. I'll just keep changing my Avatar. ha ha

Spark plugs? 😦

I assume you mean glow plugs, and I replied to you earlier in this thread with the ones I ordered and even posted the link to where I ordered them from in AU. Just scroll UP!! 👆😃

I was wondering what injectors you run since you're Turbo :p

Ah, I see! I had picked up a brand new set of OEM ones. I did not see any aftermarket options other than reman's and another brand that were basically set to OEM SPEC. If there had been another option for better atomization/more HP or something I may have looked at them, but then you have to start considering if the pump then needs to be adjusted or upgraded as well. So, since the turbo already gets such a performance increase, I decided to just work with the OEM pump and injectors and adjust the injection timing to suit.

It is also written up in the thread as well...

Ah, I see! I had picked up a brand new set of OEM ones. I did not see any aftermarket options other than reman's and another brand that were basically set to OEM SPEC. If there had been another option for better atomization/more HP or something I may have looked at them, but then you have to start considering if the pump then needs to be adjusted or upgraded as well. So, since the turbo already gets such a performance increase, I decided to just work with the OEM pump and injectors and adjust the injection timing to suit.

It is also written up in the thread as well...

I will read it up! I plan to get something similar to you with no more than 8PSI it's only to help the 1HZ

Ok, earlier in this thread you would have read of my bonehead moment of laying the cluster on the dash... and forgetting the dash is METAL. I turned the key on to test the newly installed speakers before closing everything up and burnt a section of the circuit board. I had found a replacement circuit board on megazip and ordered it... only to have it cancelled a few days later and they stated it was unavailable.

Even bringing in a heavy hitter like Dave Stedman in Japan did not rustle up any options... other than searching and waiting for a used part... and then paying for an entire cluster!

Plan "B" ensued. The damage was minimal, although completely debilitating. The only things that worked on the cluster was the emergency brake light, the high beams light, and the fuel guage (sort of). The backlighting on the cluster was also fine.

After pulling the cluster and running some tests on the nearby links to make sure there was no crossover continuity from the damage, I decided to repair the circuit board.

20220123_090921[1].jpg

Use a tester between the poles of the burnt section and the neighboring links poles to make sure they are still separate

20220124_114623[1].jpg

Fortunately for me, the damage was limited to the one link, so I proceeded to put a connector on the bolt of the ignition pole, and solder it to the other end of the link, effectively bypassing the damaged section.

Note - there is another option, to pick up some foil tape and replace the burnt section, but that would mean separating the 2 layers of the board, and with the circuit taking a meandering path to its destination, I figured it would be a lesson in frustration.

20220124_114604[1].jpg

Now the only thing was to plug it in and test:

20220124_121836[1].jpg

Things are working again... I have yet to road test it, so that will be the next step to ensure ALL the gauges are functioning as desired. From all indications, it looks like it is back to normal.

I truly hope this does not happen to anyone else, but in case it does, this should help with fixing it up. I also taped the wire flat against the back to avoid unnecessary vibration over time that may interfere with the soldering spot.

And if anyone is wondering... YES, I am still kicking myself over the silliness of this completely avoidable error. :bang:

This fix at least, makes it a little easier to swallow...

Ok, earlier in this thread you would have read of my bonehead moment of laying the cluster on the dash... and forgetting the dash is METAL. I turned the key on to test the newly installed speakers before closing everything up and burnt a section of the circuit board. I had found a replacement circuit board on megazip and ordered it... only to have it cancelled a few days later and they stated it was unavailable.

Even bringing in a heavy hitter like Dave Stedman in Japan did not rustle up any options... other than searching and waiting for a used part... and then paying for an entire cluster!

Plan "B" ensued. The damage was minimal, although completely debilitating. The only things that worked on the cluster was the emergency brake light, the high beams light, and the fuel guage (sort of). The backlighting on the cluster was also fine.

After pulling the cluster and running some tests on the nearby links to make sure there was no crossover continuity from the damage, I decided to repair the circuit board.

View attachment 2904249
Use a tester between the poles of the burnt section and the neighboring links poles to make sure they are still separate

View attachment 2904250

Fortunately for me, the damage was limited to the one link, so I proceeded to put a connector on the bolt of the ignition pole, and solder it to the other end of the link, effectively bypassing the damaged section.

Note - there is another option, to pick up some foil tape and replace the burnt section, but that would mean separating the 2 layers of the board, and with the circuit taking a meandering path to its destination, I figured it would be a lesson in frustration.

View attachment 2904252

Now the only thing was to plug it in and test:

View attachment 2904254

Things are working again... I have yet to road test it, so that will be the next step to ensure ALL the gauges are functioning as desired. From all indications, it looks like it is back to normal.

I truly hope this does not happen to anyone else, but in case it does, this should help with fixing it up. I also taped the wire flat against the back to avoid unnecessary vibration over time that may interfere with the soldering spot.

And if anyone is wondering... YES, I am still kicking myself over the silliness of this completely avoidable error. :bang:

This fix at least, makes it a little easier to swallow...
That right there is a deep dive repair. Impressive that you tracked it to the right place, and even more so that you fixed it. Soldering on a board takes a deft of hand that I'm not equipped with. I betcha maestro @janyyc could manage it, but not this guy. My students call me butterfingers.

We've all got embarassing tales from the shop I'd wager. ;) But you turned yours into a brilliant fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom