Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No argument from me. We’re looking to GTFO.

Nowhere to run to anymore.

March 2020 we left San Francisco for Austin. It’s now the 7th most expensive city in the US and on track to being the most expensive outside of California. I’ve lived in a lot major cities and aside from airport routes and quality of food I don’t care for any of the “advantages” anymore. I’m just tired of living in a giant Ponzi scheme.

March 2020 we left San Francisco for Austin. It’s now the 7th most expensive city in the US and on track to being the most expensive outside of California. I’ve lived in a lot major cities and aside from airport routes and quality of food I don’t care for any of the “advantages” anymore. I’m just tired of living in a giant Ponzi scheme.

Same here and agreed, which is why we live small town now and likely always will if not even more rurally as time goes on.

Tesla quality:

Tesla quality:

Seen this in person multiple times. It’s what’s kept me looking elsewhere the last year for alternatives. Even if it was put together with an iota of care the interior is so cheap feeling and looking that I can’t get over it. I’m pretty big on interior refinement in general though but still, even less particular people can feel it.

Tesla quality:

He covered a lot of the issues that are very common on these cars, it's pathetic that people accept it as normal. The panel gap and poor seals are evident on nearly every single one I've looked at.

He covered a lot of the issues that are very common on these cars, it's pathetic that people accept it as normal. The panel gap and poor seals are evident on nearly every single one I've looked at.
Yup. And if they improved on those things it would encourage me. But they have a monopoly for now on EV. So they’ve ignored it and pushed forward. But now with some of the bigger names getting into EV….the disparity will start to become more evident and Tesla will have to start caring about these QC issues. Can you imagine a Porsche taycan having poor panel gaps and uneven seals.

it's pathetic that people accept it as normal

Oh sing it to me baby.
Im a proper ****, and at 32 years of age i have come to realize without people like me (and maybe you) in the world, we would all be eating s*** and grinning ear to ear and would know nothing better.

Queue up to reward that s*** with a sale for Tesla? That'd be violating two of my strict principles.

Tesla interior is garage. Absolute generic ikea at its best. QC is an absolute joke.

It's easy to criticize. And not to say they shouldn't take the criticism to do better... Produce enough of anything at scale, and shortcomings will show up. As a discerning car owner, owning a Tesla on the whole has been extremely satisfying

Their achievements in many areas is starting to make legacy cars look the part. Just as many potential deal breakers with traditional manufacturers and ICE cars. It's not until you own something new and different do you understand that the current status quo of cars is a giant rube goldberg cluster. Big swaths of the population, including wealthy buyers with lots of options, are equally no longer interested in the current vehicle status quo. Sure, there's art and satisfaction in traditional cars, just like an fine Swiss automatic watch. May or may not be relevant with how best to do a car going forward.

The younger generation (under 25-ish) are very uninterested in vehicles as a whole, at least from my interactions with them and in comparison to older generations. This outlook on the industry will make it much easier to push for automated driving and mass transit in whatever forms that might look like in the future. Auto enthusiasts as a whole are beginning to be a dying breed and in 50 years when I am in my late 80's I imagine we will be dinosaurs amongst the soulless plastic fantastic battery world.

The younger generation (under 25-ish) are very uninterested in vehicles as a whole, at least from my interactions with them and in comparison to older generations. This outlook on the industry will make it much easier to push for automated driving and mass transit in whatever forms that might look like in the future. Auto enthusiasts as a whole are beginning to be a dying breed and in 50 years when I am in my late 80's I imagine we will be dinosaurs amongst the soulless plastic fantastic battery world.
This is a constant perspective. The last generation that used horses for transport and power looked aghast at steam; the steam generation couldn’t believe a train would run as well on diesel or electric. Taking a long view it’s interesting how culturally attached we are to internal combustion given its short albeit impactful run in our history.

Will also be easier to push cars as being disposable and requiring “upgrades” after 3-5 years too.

The irony. The droves moving to Austin and then complaining it’s too much like California. It was a great place to grow up. Was.

I bailed on Austin and moved away back in 2011, it was already overrun with Cali defectors immediately attempting to make it another California back then. I visit friends there a few times a year and I can't wait to leave almost immediately after arriving lol.

Yup. And if they improved on those things it would encourage me. But they have a monopoly for now on EV. So they’ve ignored it and pushed forward. But now with some of the bigger names getting into EV….the disparity will start to become more evident and Tesla will have to start caring about these QC issues. Can you imagine a Porsche taycan having poor panel gaps and uneven seals.
My new Taycan Cross Tourismo is basically perfect build wise. But i would argue with the Tesla monopoly statement. They may have most of the sales, in the US, but that is not due to a monopoly. It is much more driven by momentum, as they were the first EVs at scale and what most people think of first. But there are other choices by Porsche, BMW, Audi, VW, Mini, Nissan, Chevrolet, etc.

My new Taycan Cross Tourismo is basically perfect build wise. But i would argue with the Tesla monopoly statement. They may have most of the sales, in the US, but that is not due to a monopoly. It is much more driven by momentum, as they were the first EVs at scale and what most people think of first. But there are other choices by Porsche, BMW, Audi, VW, Mini, Nissan, Chevrolet, etc.
Agreed, Tesla’s success has been driven by innovation and competition. The small government incentives probably didn’t move the needle to any great extent but didn’t hurt either. Those have long been exhausted.

TESLA is the INNOVATOR everyone else is corporate black sheep who resisted change. Tesla redefined the market and brought passion back into cars. They are not perfect by any means but it is a David vs Goliath story and I always root for the little guy. I admire them much more than Apple as they truly weren't scared to be different. I strongly think Tesla is not getting enough love and respect. I don't own a Tesla, I prefer my Land Cruiser currently but I admire what they have been able to accomplish. They totally upended an entire industry that was overdue for change. Every step and move they did help transform the entire industry. They are the real Toyota - came from the bottom and clawed their way to the top. I do think the purpose of a Tesla is to cheapest on road vehicle, the true economy car that lasts forever little maintenance (sounds like a bruiser without the truck, model S reminds me of a LS600 . The purpose of a Toyota truck is to be tough and reliable. Both cultures intersect and diverge. I'm waiting for Tesla to enter the truck market I think they will send some shockwaves. Rivian beat them to the punch but for some reason I don't respect Rivian. They are EV conformists whereas Teslas are EV rebels james dean American cowboy bada$$ses because they did what they wanted without sacrificing their souls.

Pic is worth a thousand words.

9049E632-2DDA-4250-8138-84333FF79450.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom