Heavier springs rate that works with AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nicely done! Great new option for heavily built LXs.

I have airbags in my rear as I'm still roughly stock weight, but wanted to make sure I could handle significant tow payload well. AHC seems to adapt fine even if I have the bags at 20 PSI without any payload or towing. Takes a bit longer to get into low, but still okay.

With the springs you have, I would have no qualms of AHC handling well over 2000lbs payload. While still maintaining a ridiculously refined ride.

Sorry to bring the thread back to live again.
I have been looking to upgrade the rear springs to Terrain Tamer as well.
My question is should I put spring spacer as well?
Current set up: dissent rear bumper, 24 gal LRA, Slee sliders, roof rack with Ikamper RTT, heavy drawer system with Fridge.

TIA

Current set up: dissent rear bumper, 24 gal LRA, Slee sliders, roof rack with Ikamper RTT, heavy drawer system with Fridge.

TIA
I would personally try it without the spring spacer. We’ve been using the spring spacer to preload, and I bet your upgrade will surpass what we were trying to accomplish with the spacer.

Let us know how it goes.

Did we ever figure out the spring rate for the Terrain Tamer springs?

1world1love seems to be happy with it.
All I need to accomplish is to have something to support the heavy weight at the back, and still be able to work with AHC.

TIA

I don't think I would do both. I think the uprated springs are sufficient.

Also, just to provide an update in this thread in case anyone finds it, After a little more than 6 months in, the springs have been great. It has improved the ride and I have had no negative impacts. The initial issue with going down to AHC Low was likely just a glitch in the matrix brought on by making a number of changes all at once. After a few days, the truck evened out on all corners (at least to the degree that it was originally), and has no issues going into AHC Low now.

I don't think I would do both. I think the uprated springs are sufficient.

Also, just to provide an update in this thread in case anyone finds it, After a little more than 6 months in, the springs have been great. It has improved the ride and I have had no negative impacts. The initial issue with going down to AHC Low was likely just a glitch in the matrix brought on by making a number of changes all at once. After a few days, the truck evened out on all corners (at least to the degree that it was originally), and has no issues going into AHC Low now.
Thank you for the update.

Did you happen to check the pressure on the AHC system before and after the install?

Did you order direct from Terrain Tamer or elsewhere? TIA!

I did not. I went through Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids. They are the North American distributor for TT. It was super easy and fast and the guys at Cruiser Brothers are great to work with. Shipping was very fast. Just a few days from ordering to delivery.

No problem. I didn't check the pressures before or after install.
How much weight do you think you added to the rear of your rig to warrant the extra springs?

How much weight do you think you added to the rear of your rig to warrant the extra springs?

I've never really done the math, but I would guess that my static net additional weight is 400-500 lbs, but my usual "trip" load is quite a bit more.

One thing to add is that I added the springs with the plan to add a LRA and possibly permanent water storage.

I've never really done the math, but I would guess that my static net additional weight is 400-500 lbs, but my usual "trip" load is quite a bit more.

One thing to add is that I added the springs with the plan to add a LRA and possibly permanent water storage.
Did you notice any particular symptoms of being slightly undersprung for your weight?

I ask because I think have a sort of pogo’ing effect going on due to perhaps being overloaded in the rear of my lx. I have a fair amount of tools and parts back there…plus a Wilco swing away hitch and carrier. I noticed lately that I have almost no “rake” between the front and the back.

I’m trying to figure out if I’m undersprung for the amount of weight back there.

Last edited:
Did you notice any particular symptoms of being slightly undersprung for your weight?

I ask because I think have a sort of pogo’ing effect going on due to be overloaded in the rear of my lx. I have a fair amount of tools and parts back there…plus a Wilco swing away hitch and carrier. I noticed lately that I have almost no “rake” between the front and the back.

I’m trying to figure out if I’m undersprung for the amount of weight back there.
Try putting two psi more in your tires, assuming they are LT/E tires. Don’t overinflate P tires

I ask because I think have a sort of pogo’ing effect going on due to perhaps being overloaded in the rear of my lx. I have a fair amount of tools and parts back there…plus a Wilco swing away hitch and carrier. I noticed lately that I have almost no “rake” between the front and the back.

I would be surprised if any of that was caused by overloading. I have been on trips prior to installing the uprated springs where I was probably over 8k lbs and never experienced any obvious effects, even while wheeling.

The main thing I did notice was that over time, the time it took to go from N to H got longer and longer. Sometimes it would take a full minute or so. I took it in to get serviced and the globes and pump checked out fine. The MST said there was nothing wrong that they could find. He thought it was just a function of the extra weight.

While you could replace the springs, a cheaper and probably easier option may be to first try OEM spring spacers. Both are easy installs on the rear (assuming you have tools and a couple of good floor jacks), or cheap to have done at a shop. The spacers are about $80 while the TT springs were probably about $250 depending on the exchange rate. You could always upgrade the springs later, but a little pretension may be all you need at this point.

Sounds a bit like porpoising, which is more common when towing a large trailer. Basically the vehicle can see-saw about the rear axle when there's too much cantilevered weight on the hitch. Solution there is to use a weight distribution bar to project load back to the front axle but that's not an option in your situation.

Would you have a picture of what your Wilco setup looks like? How much weight do you think is cantilevered back there? Add a winch to the front bumper as ballast? :hillbilly:

Try putting two psi more in your tires, assuming they are LT/E tires. Don’t overinflate P tires
They are k02 lt’s. And more air in the tire is a good idea. I’ll give that a go. Thank you.

Sounds a bit like porpoising, which is more common when towing a large trailer. Basically the vehicle can see-saw about the rear axle when there's too much cantilevered weight on the hitch. Solution there is to use a weight distribution bar to project load back to the front axle but that's not an option in your situation.

Would you have a picture of what your Wilco setup looks like? How much weight do you think is cantilevered back there? Add a winch to the front bumper as ballast? :hillbilly:
Bumper and winch ballast is already installed. Very pleased with the Ironman bumper. I was able to do a slight modification to it and use my arb recovery points.

The Wilco is currently configured as such in the picture. I measured and, with the hitch riser, the rear of the hitch carrier is equivalent to the lx’s departure angle. I’ve got a slightly higher riser I’m going to install soon so I can fit my hilift and an axe under the hitch carrier as pictured though.

The Wilco is heavy, but it’s not the thing probably weighing me down.

I’ve got a lot of tools I like to carry around…plus a starter, cv, alternator, more power puller, and various other recovery gear…which I’m going to pull today. Most of that stuff I really don’t need to carry every day. It was just convenient to leave it back there.

If airing up doesn’t solve the problem I’ll probably purchase the terrain tamer springs and see if that fixes it…or perhaps do air springs for road trips where I would bring all those extra parts and recovery gear.

I need to check and see if you made a thread explaining air springs.

7F54917D-A3B1-4B34-942C-D5684D6A32D2.jpeg

72839B11-D7FF-426B-9BB9-FC24716CCCB7.jpeg

It seems like you would need to have a significant amount of weight on the carrier to cause that. Possibly more than the safe weight rating of the carrier itself. I have had my carrier loaded with a few bags of concrete and never had that issue.

Sounds like he is carrying a fair amount in the cargo space which is mostly centered over the rear axle.

Is It possible that his rear shocks are shot?

Also curious - @highfructose What AVS setting do you normally use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom