Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what kind of power is this thing going to make when done? guess?

So what kind of power is this thing going to make when done? guess?

Goal is 400hp I guess. 300-350ish at the wheels? Roughly double my current (estimated) power.

Are you doing injectors too? What other upgrades besides the turbo components?

The engine has a bunch of stuff. Will do injectors down the road.

To clarify, the goal is 400hp eventually, but not right out the gate.

Made one manifold cap on the mill with 1/8"npt ports for egt and drive pressure gauge ports. Second cap made out of 1/4" plate. Prepped the manifold, preheated it, welded the two caps on, the wrapped it and let it cool slowly. Finally I cleaned it up with some grinder action and ported the round ports to fit the rectangular ports of the engine.

PXL_20220102_182053996.MP.jpg
PXL_20220102_184529275.MP.jpg

PXL_20220102_184521482.jpg

PXL_20220102_201146795.MP.jpg

PXL_20220102_204429666.jpg

PXL_20220102_204421182.jpg

PXL_20220102_204411434.jpg

Spent the next while welding the intake vband onto the primary turbo compressor housing. Welding cast aluminum sucks so bad.

Also finish welded the hot pipe and threw some temp paint on it to prevent rust.

I fought the compressor housing snap rings for a while but won (tool now on order) and put everything back on to start imaging the secondary to primary charge pipe. Gonna be tight, but it will fit.

PXL_20220102_225553131.jpg

PXL_20220102_225549539.MP.jpg

PXL_20220103_010106491.jpg

PXL_20220103_010103339.jpg

PXL_20220103_010205976.jpg

PXL_20220103_010058540.jpg

Can you remind me what size is your 351 turbine?

Can you remind me what size is your 351 turbine?
67mmx76mm

Pretty sure you are going to build boost very quickly and be in boost most of your driving. Maybe this is better with a manual so it will be interesting to see how it settles out. Having a wastegate on both turbos should be an advantage in being able to tune both turbos. I'm curious to see how the egts settle out too. With that quick of boost building I'm going to have to suggest looking into head studs now rather than later. Unless the plan is to try it now, pop the gasket, get the head o-ringed and then not have to worry about higher boost numbers. :D

In starting out your tuning I'd suggest opening those wastegates early and then tighten them up a little at a time. You'll need to run the formula's to see how this combo is sharing the load. I'm thinking that your primary will want to try and do quite a bit of work with that small of an exhaust housing and boost numbers will be high, but you need to try it so we know. I think I'm opened to 16-17cm on my primary turbo right now. It's been a while since I've done any tuning/tinkering on my fueling. I really need to work on my tranny map, I just haven't driven it lately to spend time dialing it in.

I've been thinking about studs more and more as well, lol.

To get the lingo straight, the primary turbo is the one on the exhaust manifold (also called high pressure turbo) and the secondary is the one fed exhaust by the primary (also called atmospheric). Right? That's what I've read.

Yeah it get's jumbled and I've seen it described both ways unfortunately, I think its what flow one is looking at be it exhaust or air intake. While not as cool sounding I should have said big turbo and small turbo. So to edit what I was thinking, I think the big turbo will want to do more of the work than the little turbo.

I'm tracking you, lol.

My thinking is that the he351 with this turbine wheel/housing performs well on 6bts, so it should serve well as a secondary turbo in a compound set on a 4bt. Same thinking as with the hx35. This should spool faster, but that's the goal imo.

We will see!!

Aluminum tig has been kicking my ass the past few days. Have been trying to build the intermediate pipe from big turbo to small turbo. I'm on the third iteration now and I think I've got a winner, just need to finish execution, and get better at thin wall aluminum tig, lol.

Another project update in a few days I hope.

Aluminum tig is no joke. I couldn't seem to get dialed in on my buddy's machine and the grinder became my friend in cleaning up my chicken poo welds. Hope you get that technique dialed in.

After getting the manifold and hot pipe welded, I wanted to fabricate the intermediate pipe between big turbo outlet and small turbo inlet. It's a tricky spot because the alternator is right in the way, and for some reason I decided I wanted to do it out of aluminum.

Long story short I've never welded thin wall aluminum tubing before, and my tig welder is apparently not suited for thin wall AC. I fought with my welder for a while, then ultimately gave up and borrowed a friend's welder (thank you @S4Cruiser !). With some practice I was able to knock together a few iterations of the intermediate pipe, and I think I've got a winner now.

Attempt #1 ended up being too short.

PXL_20220103_190900651.MP.jpg

Attempt #2 wasn't sharp enough of a bend, and deformed too much (due to the welds) when bent to clear the alternator.

PXL_20220104_200914121.jpg

Attempt #3 is my current favorite, and is still in progress. I'm liking it, but that patch pictured didn't pan out, so I've got to make a new one.

Currently waiting on a new vband clamp, as the one in the picture galled + seized, then had to be cut off.

PXL_20220105_191132816.jpg

PXL_20220105_220214078.jpg

Talk about a ****in debacle. I am getting much better at AL tig though, :lol:

Last night I wanted to get something done before the new vband for the inlet showed up.

I bought a he351 generic stainless outlet on Amazon, then a 45*/180* section of 3" 304 stainless and 3" stainless vband clamp set from mandrel-bends.com. Using those parts I was able to repair the middle section of the existing exhaust, and fabricate a new downpipe. It went together fairly well. I need to add one more exhaust hange, and finish weld the downpipe, but I'm pretty stoked.

By the way, welding stainless is way, way, way easier than welding aluminum.

Finally, the tape pictured is high temp masking tape, aka powdercoat tape. Its awesome for holding tubing sections in alignment while you tack it together.

PXL_20220109_214737149.jpg

PXL_20220109_224658438.MP.jpg

PXL_20220109_230531010.jpg

Also @boots4 i ordered ARP studs :lol:

Do you know the height of the step in the rocker pedestals that's needed for the arp studs? I'll machine mine myself, but I need to know how much to lop off.

EDIT: looks like about 1/8" to 3/16" from the pictures I can see.

Last edited:
What size filler you using for that thin AL stuff.
Learning on that 16/18g tubing is trial by fire.

What size filler you using for that thin AL stuff.
Learning on that 16/18g tubing is trial by fire.

3/32". I've done a bit of AL tig before, but this is my first time on thin tubing.

Thicker stuff and training on flat plates is easy, but the positioning and fit up for this tube is a real bear.

PXL_20220104_165051963.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom