LANDTANK - SUPERCHARGER (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thought I'd share an update on this project,

While technically you don't need a bypass valve at low boost levels but I wanted one in the system. Fitting one into the system has been a challenge for me. I've tried several locations and different valves and nothing really came together in the way I wanted. I took a little break and came back at it and came to the realization that the easiest and cleanest way was to include an intercooler in the system. This gave me the opportunity to easily cut into the transition pipe from the discharge pipe to the inlet of the intercooler.

The not so good news is that this will add design time and delivery time to the project and additional cost to the system and what was intended as an option is now going to be a standard.

The good news is that this will eliminate some fabrication work and the need for the intake extension pipe from the build midigating some of the cost of the intercooler and the end result will be a complete system.

So right now my focus is mainly on the intercooler. The intercooler will be available for the TRD units and built using Bell Intercooler cores.

As for the bypass valve, I bought one of the typical valves used on the TRD charger and other units for design and evaluation and found it to be leaky when closed and found a lot of complaints with smoothness of operation causing driveability problems on line.

At this point I'm going with a Tial QRJ 38mm valve. It fits my application and is supposed to have a tight seal and smooth operation.

I've been asked about a time line and the short answer is I don't have one. It's a very slow world out their right now.

Thank you Sir for all your efforts, and the update! Waiting with keen interest!

nice, does that mean we can run more boost? :p
The final part is going to be the crank pulley. I have a specific target in mind as far as air flow goes and that will determine its size. I guesstimate that the The Whipple’s rpm will be between 10-12,000 rpm’s at red line. Whipple compressors have a 20,000 rpm limit. So yes there will be some head room available if one was wanting to use it.

Put me down for one.😉

This is brilliant. Ive been adamant about finding a trd unit, but I have always been incredibly impressed with Whipple units in marine applications. Im watching this anxiously!

You know I Iove anything Land Tank,

Very, interested

I’m going to echo all the others and thank you for bringing us more options. I’ll be interested in what the final product provides in terms of performance increase.

Update:

The intercooler and intake flange are designed and drawings sent to the fabricator. This required redrawing the throttle adapter and I'm waiting on a response from my shop to let me know if he sees any problems with the designs.

The last item at this point is the heat exchanger. I'm ordering the water pump and will work through that as fast as possible.

After testing the intercooler kit on my TRD with good results that kit will be offered for sale.

that's all for now

post #24 above starts to note our obd1 issues. PAIR system delete is required, then there are the VAF/MAF and fueling issues to overcome.

@landtank will this still fit obd1 93-94 80s?
theoretically you can get it to work with a simple enrichment setup. But that means you need to add another injector. I've got a lot to still sort out and if I was to do that it would be after the dust settles and I have some time.

Of you could start looking for an OBDII rust bucket of an 80 with a blown engine and convert your truck over.

I don’t mind waiting until the dust settles. Personally speaking, I just swapped lockers in oem style and a full 2 stage paint job … tossing it to the curb for a supercharger will not be happening in the near future

I don’t mind waiting until the dust settles. Personally speaking, I just swapped lockers in oem style and a full 2 stage paint job … tossing it to the curb for a supercharger will not be happening in the near future
keep your eye out for a rust bucket with a blown motor. Buy it and swap in the OBDII parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom