Smittybilt Air Compressor - Not Happy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't use my air compressor too often... The times i've used my Smittybilt 2781 I've been left frustrated and disappointed... I keep this thing tucked away neat and cozy in the cargo area of the trunk, to even think I was considering mounting it in the engine bay, I can't imagine how this delicate fragile piece of equipment would handle it.

So please correct me if i'm doing something wrong or there's some type of user error somewhere.

Today, playing atop the mountains in some snow, third time something like this has happened.. The air compressor will run perfectly fine, but once I go to inflate my tires there is very little PSI coming out of the nozzle. The gauge does not move and my tires will not inflate. The pump sounds fine and runs normal, but is as useless as a wet fart in a paper bag.

Things I have tried to troubleshoot the lack of PSI:

Removed the coiled air hose extension and ran the nozzle directly from the pump
Tried hitting the reset button
Checked for any kinks, trapped air, or ice
Checked the filter / ran without filter = no change in PSI
Checked for leaks

I've had the same exact thing happen to me in the summer. And to be completely honest, it's left me completely pissed off and embarrassed. All three times this has happened to me, i've been out with myself and another rig that needed to air back up and it has failed 100% of the time now. Luckily, my trail mate packs one of those Ryobi hand held air compressors. It takes FOREVER, but it's been more reliable than this turd.

I ordered the compressor back in February of 21. I have only needed to use it maybe 10 times for certain trails.

Thoughts before I call Smittybilt on Monday?

Yeah, it’s a cheap POS made for Jeeps. Don’t waste your time. Buy something better. I burned up two of those Smittybilt junkers before I learned my lesson…
What do you recommend? I am looking at Maxi Trac right now.

I always considered Smittybilt to be the ARB of air compressors but I guess I am wrong...

ARB is the ARB of compressors LOL. I bought a VIAIR to replace the $hittybilts and it has worked very well.
Yeah yeah, I meant ARB of bumpers LOL. I have VIAR for our BMWs since they don't have spares and they've been great.

I'll compare the two :D

ARB is the ARB of compressors LOL. I bought a VIAIR to replace the $hittybilts and it has worked very well.
Was out 3 weeks ago with friends and his 24v viair took a dump as well. They just go bad. I have a harbor freight air pump that everyone laughs at but works.

To be fair most air compressors are only recommended to operate >40°F. Condensation builds up in the lines and pump and will quickly kill them when it freezes

To be fair most air compressors are only recommended to operate >40°F. Condensation builds up in the lines and pump and will quickly kill them when it freezes
So what's the excuse for summer operation issues?

I’ve had one of the Smittybilt 2781 pumps for ~6 years. It’s only been lightly used, and after I replaced the hoses, fittings, and wiring, it’s been OK, but not great.

I would’ve probably been better off starting out with a 100% duty cycle VIAIR, or ARB.

So what's the excuse for summer operation issues?
Warm air is less dense so it makes the pump run a longer cycle and more often to net the same output

I have the 2781 that I run with the MORRflate 4 hose system for 4 tires at once. My son bought it for me 3 years ago. I've been using it 2x monthly for over a year. I do not use the hoses that came with it. I use it with a MORRflate adapter. for 4 tires at a time I can usually air up my tires and one or two friends at the end of a run. Though it is only 5.6 CFM. I would like to move up to a 10+ CFM unit. We have a guy in our club with a 10+ CFM until that blows everything else away.

I see people moving to a 10+ CFM unit like the one in this video. I think these compressors are marketed under different names.

1641039894592.png

@OwnerCS saved me on our last trip when my Amazon special gave up the ghost.

I just ordered the MaxiTrac from Napa. They have a 20%off and free shipping deal, which put it at $96. I’m definitely rolling the dice, as it comes with no warranty, however I see other companies marketing identical looking compressors with 3 year warranties in the $250-300 range, so I’m hoping I’m just not paying for the warranty.

I just ordered the MaxiTrac from Napa. They have a 20%off and free shipping deal, which put it at $96. I’m definitely rolling the dice, as it comes with no warranty, however I see other companies marketing identical looking compressors with 3 year warranties in the $250-300 range, so I’m hoping I’m just not paying for the warranty.
👍
I'm tempted to try the NAPA version. They look like rebadged versions of the same product.

Whats the coupon? I may roll the dice as well.

Extremeaire for the win and Puma (has its own thread here on mud) for a decent 2nd.

Have a Puma under my 4rnnr, it runs daily for the air horn and has been doing that for about 2 years I think. Other than it's a loud little beasty I can't complain about it. Seems to be faster than a friend's ARB Single.
I carry a modified MV-50 as a back-up in all of my off pavement vehicles. I take the switch and relay out of them and wire direct.

Although I got many good years out of my Smittybilt 2781, it did start to get obnoxiously loud. I replaced it with a 3/4 HP Puma. I took the Smittybilt apart and learned what was causing the issue - the piston ring failed. I will say it continued to work even with the failed ring and badly scratched cylinder bore.

1667688745741.png

I have the 1.5 gallon puma compressor that I have used religiously for over 10 years. Still airs up like a champ for me and would highly recommend it! I paid 220 shipped back in 2012 off ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom