Events/Trails Seattle area role call and planning thread (1 Viewer)

Let’s do a Tahuya trip. When can you go?

• Saturday July 24

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Saturday July 31

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saturday Aug 7

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're in the Seattle area and have a takeoff under rig spare tire cross member/ tire winch for sale/trade let me know!

You can have mine in Feb! Or maybe grab Kyle’s?

Got into some pretty sketchy moments on icy hills in Bellevue today, later in the evening. What were you guys doing to keep traction in the ice while going down steep hills?

Got into some pretty sketchy moments on icy hills in Bellevue today, later in the evening. What were you guys doing to keep traction in the ice while going down steep hills?

Unfortunately no magic on ice other than studded tires or chains. I usually engine brake as much as possible by down shifting. Just take it slow 🙌

Hi all, I just moved to Seattle!

Just a few Qs...
  • Any reccos on a good shop in the area to get the following installed? I've seen that Michael's Toyota Bellevue is good but over priced. Torfab is very good but massive lead time. Tru-Line seattle looks promising.
    • 33s + spacers installed (including any trimming and heat gun work for rubbing)?
    • Sliders + armor installed? I just ordered a set of aluminum from Victory 4x4 and I suspect it will take 3-4 months to get the set
    • Twin compressor onboard air
  • Any day trips or 1-2 night trips that don't require sliders (think 3-4/10) recommended for me to start exploring with my wife and pup?
  • If anyone wants to hit the trails and wants a buddy, let me know! Also am interested in any group outtings -- please lmk if any are planned (I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything)

Hi all, I just moved to Seattle!

Just a few Qs...
  • Any reccos on a good shop in the area to get the following installed? I've seen that Michael's Toyota Bellevue is good but over priced. Torfab is very good but massive lead time. Tru-Line seattle looks promising.
    • 33s + spacers installed (including any trimming and heat gun work for rubbing)?
    • Sliders + armor installed? I just ordered a set of aluminum from Victory 4x4 and I suspect it will take 3-4 months to get the set
    • Twin compressor onboard air
  • Any day trips or 1-2 night trips that don't require sliders (think 3-4/10) recommended for me to start exploring with my wife and pup?
  • If anyone wants to hit the trails and wants a buddy, let me know! Also am interested in any group outtings -- please lmk if any are planned (I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything)

Welcome! Anything that you could explore this time if year wont require sliders, more here:

Local shops:
  • Mule Expedition Outfitters (Issaquah/Preston)
  • Auburn Offroad (Auburn)
  • Adventure Ready (Seattle)
  • Torfab (Everett)

Most shops will have long lead time — this is the "off season" and many people get builds done since we're socked in for the winter.

Unfortunately no magic on ice other than studded tires or chains. I usually engine brake as much as possible by down shifting. Just take it slow 🙌
Dude I had chains on the Rears! I had to pick up my brother from Newcastle and he has an annoying hill up to his neighborhood. Got up on my Wildpeaks with 0 problems without chains, but on the way down 10 mins later the fronts kept wanting to skid the truck into the ditch. Just ended up using maxtrax on front and going down a bit at a time. It was just a couple of inches of hard packed ice and some guys had ditched their cars on the side of the road which didn't help

Do you think 4Lo would help? Just lower gears and maybe engine braking so I don't have to break to slow down and lock the tires? Downhill assist control / Crawl control?

Feel like it wouldn't be a problem if I could put chains on the front. May end up just getting winter tires just to drive around town (my job is not WFH and I often have to do night shifts, and I have a few good hills just getting to work)

Dude I had chains on the Rears! I had to pick up my brother from Newcastle and he has an annoying hill up to his neighborhood. Got up on my Wildpeaks with 0 problems without chains, but on the way down 10 mins later the fronts kept wanting to skid the truck into the ditch. Just ended up using maxtrax on front and going down a bit at a time. It was just a couple of inches of hard packed ice and some guys had ditched their cars on the side of the road which didn't help

Do you think 4Lo would help? Just lower gears and maybe engine braking so I don't have to break to slow down and lock the tires? Downhill assist control / Crawl control?

Feel like it wouldn't be a problem if I could put chains on the front. May end up just getting winter tires just to drive around town (my job is not WFH and I often have to do night shifts, and I have a few good hills just getting to work)
Well it only will be snowy for four or five days a year, so unless you snow wheel a bunch snow tires are not necessary. And snow really isn’t the problem, it’s the sheet ice that forms from compaction.

Using trax was a good idea.

Nothing to do on ice but go as slow as possible, maybe use min slow crawl going down? I know you couldn’t avoid the hill but that is basically what I do for the steep ones, drive around if possible, if not probably walk it. Generally speaking Seattle isn’t set up for snow so just be cautious.

4 lo will help with engine braking however I’ve had same issue with plowing in the front going downhill. Snow chains up front do help- if you only have one pair one run up front and one in back.

oh are we allowed to run chains up front? I thought I had seen there's no clearance with the suspension or KDSS or something, and front chains were dangerous?

I'm medical, work at Swedish Issaquah and Donwtown (both up hills), and have to commute from Redmond to get there. i have good sized hills just to get to the freeway though. I think I'm just going to fork up for winter tires (still have my factory wheels lying around), that way I'll feel more confident taking the family out to Leavenworth/Rainier/Crater Lake or something over the winter.

Redmond Dicount Tire seems to have 275/70/18 Blizzaks and 275/65/18 Nokian Hakka 3s in stock, hmmmm

oh are we allowed to run chains up front? I thought I had seen there's no clearance with the suspension or KDSS or something, and front chains were dangerous?

I'm medical, work at Swedish Issaquah and Donwtown (both up hills), and have to commute from Redmond to get there. i have good sized hills just to get to the freeway though. I think I'm just going to fork up for winter tires (still have my factory wheels lying around), that way I'll feel more confident taking the family out to Leavenworth/Rainier/Crater Lake or something over the winter.

Redmond Dicount Tire seems to have 275/70/18 Blizzaks and 275/65/18 Nokian Hakka 3s in stock, hmmmm

I would not commute in chains - agree that snow tires would be a better solution.

Not sure what you mean by allowed to run chains up front. Whether you have an LX or LC you’ll definitely have to make sure you have clearance which depends on tire size and wheel offset.

I’ve chained up from and run a 295/70 but don’t have KDSS.

Sorry to butt in. The 2 main ways into newcastle off of Coal Creek dr. are crap in this weather. I would go North almost to 405 and take that left into the back end. It's still a hill, but a bit longer so less steep. Or, enter off the main intesection at McDonalds, ampm, library etc. I've lived/worked here a while, so I have routes memorized, but not always the street names.

Sorry to butt in. The 2 main ways into newcastle off of Coal Creek dr. are crap in this weather. I would go North almost to 405 and take that left into the back end. It's still a hill, but a bit longer so less steep. Or, enter off the main intesection at McDonalds, ampm, library etc. I've lived/worked here a while, so I have routes memorized, but not always the street names.
Ha this was the coal creek exit from 405 then immediately turn right and up the hill. Across from the bike path

Nice. I've never yet purchased a set of winter specific tires. I've thought about it quite a few times though. I realized a couple of hours later that that route is pretty steep.

Nice. I've never yet purchased a set of winter specific tires. I've thought about it quite a few times though. I realized a couple of hours later that that route is pretty steep.
This is my first time too, I'm pretty impressed with the difference. Earlier I was doing controlled skids going down the road on my snow rated Wildpeaks just for fun/practice, now my blizzaks won't even let me do it 😔 have to find the right spot and slam the brake to get them to lose grip

Anyone have any reccos for some easy solo trails around Seattle for a night or two of solo winter camping? Wife and fam are flying out and I’m feeling some cabin fever, want to get out somewhere quiet for a night.

Anyone have any reccos for some easy solo trails around Seattle for a night or two of solo winter camping? Wife and fam are flying out and I’m feeling some cabin fever, want to get out somewhere quiet for a night.
N 47.305454
W 121.386218

It’s not too far up the forest road, but I’ve not tried it in winter.

Nice summer spot on a creek.

N 47.305454
W 121.386218

It’s not too far up the forest road, but I’ve not tried it in winter.

Nice summer spot on a creek.

That area is closed until april. It becomes a snow park late December.

@gx2lc highly recommend you go east past the cascades to Kittitas / Vantage / Ellensburg area - anything not purple

2D4873E6-53F1-4BDD-9284-EAB4FDB69F6B.png

Welcome! Anything that you could explore this time if year wont require sliders, more here:

Local shops:
  • Mule Expedition Outfitters (Issaquah/Preston)
  • Auburn Offroad (Auburn)
  • Adventure Ready (Seattle)
  • Torfab (Everett)

Most shops will have long lead time — this is the "off season" and many people get builds done since we're socked in for the winter.
+Mule
They have treated me really well, know Toyotas, do solid work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom