troubleshoot factory lockers, lights blink nothing else (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If only a section of harness is bad and it is easily accessible and it is obvious that it was damaged through some sort of mishap, I would just patch up that section rather swap out an entire harness.

If only a section of harness is bad and it is easily accessible and it is obvious that it was damaged through some sort of mishap, I would just patch up that section rather swap out an entire harness.

heard that.

with the rear harness i went pretty far up and down the wires and it was just brittle and cooked on all of them except the worst one which was turned into dust in a small spot (1-2"). i think that wire took the brunt of the blow and burned itself out quick while the others were slowly dying.

the other wire harness (for the cdl) had many suspect spots and being the cheaper harness i just went for it.

the most expensive was the broken nss harness around the plug so i'm hoping that fixes my reverse light problem

i think cdan said for the at least one of the harnesses there were only 3 in the usa!

im hoping i don't need any more, i have yet to check the main harness in the engine bay forward to the battery and box.

i thought about trying to reuse the plugs and rebuilding the harnesses but with the hassle time and money for the conduit, wire, terminals, some questionable plugs...

it is what it is, big thanks to cdan

the most expensive was the broken nss harness around the plug so i'm hoping that fixes my reverse light problem

If you have ABS problems, it may fix that too!:clap:

new sensor / switches at the rear and cdl, new wire harness from the rear lock to the rear ds harness, new wire harness from the cdl to the firewall and the problem seems to be solved.

thanks for everyone's help.

looks like i'm ready to get myself into trouble.

new sensor / switches at the rear and cdl, new wire harness from the rear lock to the rear ds harness, new wire harness from the cdl to the firewall and the problem seems to be solved.

thanks for everyone's help.

looks like i'm ready to get myself into trouble.

Awesome dude, just don't call me. I'm a bit too far away :hillbilly:

1993 1FZ-F engine

The diff lock lights on the dash flash ok, but no relay sound, no actuator sound.

Fuse in the panel down low on left of driver is ok, but where are the relays exactly?

Down in the driver's side kick panel there are 3 silver round, and two black square (one of them marked "flasher" so I guess that's for the indicators).

Last edited:
I have been considering manual cable locker actuator conversion for the 80. I have a CDL ABS light that works as designed, rear locker light blinks front goes solid. Front locks rear does not. Far too much electrical safety crap for my taste. Manual lockers it is!

This may be a shot in the dark, but
i'm missing something here, where is this 4wd control ecu? i was assuming it was the silver box in the ds kick panel in front of the transmission ecu (the smaller cig pack shaped box modified for the pin7 mod).

i have the manual above which doesn't seem to show its location but i also have a '96 manual which indicates in the ds kick panel.

im looking at the wiring harness and female end in the ecu and they don't seem to jive with the manual picture. does the manual not show that this plug has 16 wires or at least 16 terminals?
Does anyone know where the 4wd ECU is located on RHD 80 series? Specifically 95 HDJ81? I have been behind glove box and in both kick panels and the 4wd ECU has not presented itself. Any recommendations appreciated. A copy of the service manual, I would certainly buy if I could find it. Thanks Legends

from reading i figured i'd pull the wires at the front locker and give them a look and test. after sometime of having the car on (key on, engine off) and the f/r lockers set to 'on' i was able to pull the plugs and test them, I am getting no reading out of the two plugs.

also, forgot to mention all fuses look ok.

i'll try to trace back the wires and find the connections on the other end.

was my test appropriate or do i need to check those wires when the engine is running or at the same time the f/r locker switch is activated?
Pull the plugs at the ff/rr sensors, bare some copper wire shaping into a ů and plug into the connector. If the red lights are on your wiring is good.
Follow the other suggestions of getting all 4 tires off of the ground as you can grab or kick a tire around to verify locking or unlocked conditions.
You should also hot wire the CDL harness at the sensor with a U shape wire because sensors do fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom