What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (89 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On thursday I snuck into the garage before the Christmas festivities began so I could get my front end back together. Front diff reinstalled with a fresh set of 4.88's. Replaced the inner axle seals since I was in there (the old ones weren't leaking but, oh well). New knuckle felts/wipers etc. Repacked all the bearings. The bearings all looked good except for one outer wheel bearing so that one got replaced. Nitro chromo axles/birfs.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Went after a rear brake refresh this afternoon

92B0771B-3477-4473-8B0B-FADBF3AE2EDE.jpeg

7C73479D-75DC-4FDA-9FEC-E3956DF1F053.jpeg

Discovered I took a chunk out of my sidewall a couple weeks ago while in Death Valley. I swapped out for my spare, but not sure if I should replace the tire or not. Dont like the crack/tear it created, but what do you think?

These are 285/75/16 BFG AT KO2s
PXL_20211226_213552500.jpg

PXL_20211226_213600246.jpg

Discovered I took a chunk out of my sidewall a couple weeks ago while in Death Valley. I swapped out for my spare, but not sure if I should replace the tire or not. Dont like the crack/tear it created, but what do you think?

View attachment 2875724
View attachment 2875725

Definitely would replace if it were me. Looks like it's got a decent crack beyond the chunk?

View attachment 2875724
View attachment 2875725
It's probably not so much of a crack as it is a slice, obviously not deep enough to leak air. FWIW, I had a very similar chunk/slice in the sidewall of a set of Goodyear MTR's that I drove on without hesitation for nearly a year. But the sidewalls on the MTR are 10 ply and I don't recall the ply count and thickness of the BFG sidewalls. If you've got some kind of road hazard coverage on your tires, then I'd replace it. If not, I'd probably just run it if it were mine, but I'm notorious for taking out buses of nuns and children. :)

Anyone know why my 40th emblem appears to be melting all of a sudden or how to prevent it from continuing? Truck hasn't really been sitting out in the sun recently

View attachment 2873218
It’s “normal”. I’ve seen it on several 40th decals and many non Toyota “blister” decals used in various places on other males/models. It’s like they breakdown and melt after years of exposure. If you pay attention, next time you see a Chevy Express van look at the wheel center cap. Those are the same style sticker and are often a gooey mess.

It’s “normal”. I’ve seen it on several 40th decals and many non Toyota “blister” decals used in various places on other males/models. It’s like they breakdown and melt after years of exposure. If you pay attention, next time you see a Chevy Express van look at the wheel center cap. Those are the same style sticker and are often a gooey mess.
"...In various places on other male models..."

:hmm:

View attachment 2875724
View attachment 2875725
Like boxrocket said, if you've got a warranty from where you bought it, go for a replacement. If not, load up the crack with rubber cement and that's your new spare. I wouldn't sweat it.

View attachment 2874100
I installed the passenger side Vario XXL after a two hour ride in the beat down OEM passenger seat left me in a foul mood. While far from cheap, I figured with some inevitable price increases meant I'd better do it now while my dollars are still worth something.
"tell me your political stance without telling me your political stance" LoL

Seats look great. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a pair.

"tell me your political stance without telling me your political stance" LoL

Seats look great. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a pair.
Full suspension out build. I've had the parts for two year and just haven't had time to finish it.

Pics and list is over on my "Project Gold Digger" build thread.

Wasn't technically the weekend but my long weekend thanks to work. I took the Land Cruiser to get emission testing and she passed, I did use some witch craft (denatured alcohol). It dropped the number a lot. But I am going to be replacing the cats later but for now she is road worthy.

View attachment 2874100
I installed the passenger side Vario XXL after a two hour ride in the beat down OEM passenger seat left me in a foul mood. While far from cheap, I figured with some inevitable price increases meant I'd better do it now while my dollars are still worth something.

How do you like them? Been considering a set for the 60.

How do you like them? Been considering a set for the 60.
I absolutely love them. They're far from cheap but the infinite microadjustments (all acme threaded screws, not notch/ratchet pick from 3 settings) make all the difference. The XXL is particularly good for longer torsos as your shoulders are fully supported. The thigh support is great. They're also friendlier than Recaros to guys who like beer and fried food. I previously couldn't stand drives over about 3 hours with the stockers (admittedly beat down but still poorly shaped for tall folks) but now my limit is determined by the fuel capacity, not my lumbar and butt. There are several threads here on the seats. I have now spent more on seats than I did the truck but I know these seats will be moved to whatever 80 or 100 I eventually end up with....

I absolutely love them. They're far from cheap but the infinite microadjustments (all acme threaded screws, not notch/ratchet pick from 3 settings) make all the difference. The XXL is particularly good for longer torsos as your shoulders are fully supported. The thigh support is great. They're also friendlier than Recaros to guys who like beer and fried food. I previously couldn't stand drives over about 3 hours with the stockers (admittedly beat down but still poorly shaped for tall folks) but now my limit is determined by the fuel capacity, not my lumbar and butt. There are several threads here on the seats. I have now spent more on seats than I did the truck but I know these seats will be moved to whatever 80 or 100 I eventually end up with....
Thanks, been debating both. The only plus for Recaros is the JDM cool factor and they do have heated and cooled options. But comfort takes priority. Did you use the extended sliders?

Thanks, been debating both. The only plus for Recaros is the JDM cool factor and they do have heated and cooled options. But comfort takes priority. Did you use the extended sliders?
I used Planted bases and the S-M supplied sliders. Either Dave at Delta-VS (a dealer) or Toby at Scheel-Mann USA (distributor) can hook you up with a setup. Scheel-Mann has a MAP policy, so prices are pretty much the same whichever route you go. I can tell you that with the supplied double-locking sliders, I can slam the seat far back enough that I have stretch my size 14's to reach the pedals (and about 1 3/4 inches of clearance between the back of the front seat and the front of the back seat) and my wife can pull it far enough forward for her 5 foot self to drive it comfortably. The only gotcha I found was having to find a 7/16 fine thread Grade 8 nylock nut for the seatbelt buckle at my local Ace. Weird DOT regs meant the fastener had to be 7/16 Grade 8 fine thread but Toyota used a 14mm head on the bolt. Note that you may want to source NEW seat mounting bolts from your Toyota/Lexus dealer and run a M10 1.25 thread restorer (not tap) in the weld nuts. At $4.76 each from the Lexus dealer, it seemed a better use of time/money/safety to replace the bolts than try to source proper Gr 10.8 bolts or clean up the old ones. On life-support items like the seat base mounting bolts, under 20 bucks per side seems easy money to justify.

Last edited:

View attachment 2875724
View attachment 2875725

Just-a-Flesh-Wound-Gif-In-Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-.gif

Haha, jk.

In all honesty I wouldn't run that tire on the interstate, especially on a really hot day. I would use it as a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom