1998 Dakar Rally Toyota Team ARACO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I watched the entire video and can say I’m not surprised. Looks like a lot of fun. Now I want skinny tires though….

I watched the entire video and can say I’m not surprised. Looks like a lot of fun. Now I want skinny tires though….
255/85 16s are wicked effective.
Just not cheap here in the US.

edit:and maybe not even legal in some states. lol

I put a set on my very first 80, which was white btw. They were BFG muds. They were definitely affective. It would be nice if they came I 17’s 37” tall. It is amazing the performance team Araco got from those skinny tires as the tread wasn’t aggressive either.

I always read about people shooting at the Dakar drivers but never saw it until now. Also lol at the "separating the weak" bit with the shot of the stuck Prado.

Can you expand on the illegal part? Should I go hide my 80 with St Maxx 255/85 16s?

This video is awesome...

Last edited:
Fender bender in the middle of the desert looked like a good time. Those guys need buggy flags lol.

Anyone know if the driver is related to Stephane Sarrazin? He's done a lot of good work in FIA WEC and WRC.

Can you expand on the illegal part?
My guess is it's the sidewall height, relative to the width and wheel size that some states have a real problem with.
IIRC, I could find 255/85's in most tire outlets in GA without issue. You will not find a single tire outlet with 255/85s in stock, in CO. They aren't illegal here per say. Just frowned upon (evidently).
It's similar to CO's weird law that new tires in quantity of two or fewer must go on the rear axle, regardless which axle is the drive axle. Not all shops abide by that (Walmart does tho); but get in an accident and your insurance company will be looking for a violation in that regard.

My guess is it's the sidewall height, relative to the width and wheel size that some states have a real problem with.
IIRC, I could find 255/85's in most tire outlets in GA without issue. You will not find a single tire outlet with 255/85s in stock, in CO. They aren't illegal here per say. Just frowned upon (evidently).
It's similar to CO's weird law that new tires in quantity of two or fewer must go on the rear axle, regardless which axle is the drive axle. Not all shops abide by that (Walmart does tho); but get in an accident and your insurance company will be looking for a violation in that regard.

A cursory search shows 255/85r16s in stock all along the front range of Colorado. Weird speculation.

A cursory search shows 255/85r16s in stock all along the front range of Colorado. Weird speculation.
Well first of all, my OP was "maybe illegal, in some states" tongue in cheek-like. Most people interpreted it that way.
And B lol in my surrounding area, I walked-in, when and where ever it was a came up empty.
Many also posted online they carried the the size and still didn't have it. :meh:

19 different 80 series land cruisers may be running in the 2022 Dakar classic along with other LCs of various series.
If any of you find good coverage/video of how the 80s are doing or of their specifications feel free to share them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom