1966 LV “Operation Yellow Submarine back on the road” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought the Banana Yellow LV from Montana. I have had a lot of 40’s a 45pu and 80’s over the years.. current stable is Fj60, BJ73 and now LV! Plan is to get it stopping(dual circuit master) and complete rebuild to be safe then get it running and paint and enjoy… last registration sticker looks like 1987…
I found a log book of stuff done by previous owner which gave up a lot of its history. So what I can gather the story goes…. Fritz bought it in 1972 from original owner when he lived in Seattle. Subsequently did a “restore” in 1985 with the current 🤮 yellow drips all over paint , valve work done, Front seat replaced with buckets from a Mazda (that’s when the original front seat disappeared)😞, air horns and roof lights installed along with a laundry list of other improvements. Then he drove to Bozeman MT where he moved. Have a neat hand written letter to man a fre from 1979! He included $1 for a catalog ( I remember paying for a catalog!!) and asked a lot of questions (before internet when land lines and letters were the form of communication). There is even one of the old man a fre order papers you would fill out and flyer’s of sale items at the time. Fritz was put in a home or passed and the estate sold it(He had it close to 50 years).It went to Pennsylvania for a few months but due to life changes it came back for sale and that’s where I came in and Decided to buy it. As luck and timing it arrived on the morning of my 50th Birthday!!! So let the madness start. This will not be a nut bolt restoration but rather a driver work in progress. It’s really solid and the floors under that indoor/outdoor carpet that was held down by a tar like substance look new( interesting that my 1967 45p/u had the same tar in the bed when I got it…Driver floor has some rust in the middle but it’s a solid LV!

5432690A-BA6F-4766-A80E-FA550EAA134F.jpeg

134B5242-65A9-4700-B062-6D85B0CD5A56.jpeg

A52B7BB1-3C3F-4F21-9B38-2A18D4F330E1.jpeg

6F0BADEC-414B-43B4-9E10-D807170DB42F.jpeg

C178DC07-67C3-48CC-B4A9-51211439AEB0.jpeg

977325B3-53FA-42AE-88AB-B1869EF39AFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome. Good luck with getting her back on the road.

Congats and look forward to seeing the progress! Fairly local. You are roughly only 3 hours away.
Maybe we can meet up sometime when we get down that way again.

Great! Let me know when you are down this way!

Nice buy! Lots of them popping up lately and values seem to keep going up. Need a name - first thing that comes to my mind is the man with the yellow hat from curious George ;) but he doesn’t even have a name. how about Chiquita, for the banana company?

Will enjoy watching it come together. The LV is definitely my favorite cruiser.

I like that! I’ll run it by the fam! My 60 is “Knuckles “and my BJ73 is “burro”

Banana!

Last edited:
That license plate is so cool, need to take care of that piece out of respect for Mr. Fitz. which I am sure you already have plans to.

Damn nice LV Jason, congrats! Lucky you those floors survived under that glued down carpet, that service record is cool too. Looks like it was originally blue and white, maybe spring green and white. Looking at your pics, it seems like yours came with a white interior instead of the soft blue, haven't seen that before. Does it have the little triangle shaped interior lights on the "B" pillar?

Last edited:
Ah.....good....@crzr45 you started a thread :) so much fun to watch these trucks come back to life. This thing is cool with all the history. Great find!

I'll be in the office next week....will look to see what the inventory looks like on LV weatherstrip kits. I think we can put together an order if we don't have any on the shelf 👍

Damn nice LV Jason, congrats! Lucky you those floors survived under that glued down carpet, that service record is cool too. Looks like it was originally blue and white, maybe spring green and white. Looking at your pics, it seems like yours came with a white interior instead of the soft blue, haven't seen that before. Does it have the little triangle shaped interior lights on the "B" pillar?
No lights on B pillar and interior is white with grey dash! Originally white and red
The license plate will always stay with it! I’ll incorporate it somehow into the build!!!

You can see red peeking thru… part of me wants to try and strip yellow and see how much I can save.. interior will definitely get full shiny paint/new upholstery (original headliner is almost perfect with 1 tear and a hole from air horn cable😂)

FE72A987-3958-479F-BE12-58B535F98452.jpeg

B9F10BDF-B4B0-4670-9A21-D8E8E18248A6.jpeg

So nice! You are way ahead of me with that solid truck.

Mine does have the triangle lights on the b pillars and mine has the vent above the front windshield. I heard those options were on Canadian models

Jason

“Yellow submarine “ might stick for her name

What a birthday present! Might have to work the birthday angle in on the name. Looking forward to seeing progress on this one!

What a birthday present! Might have to work the birthday angle in on the name. Looking forward to seeing progress on this one!
Dennis, good to see you here! Jason has got some serious support form the LV family, this one is going to be sweeeet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom