Throttle cable conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many moons ago and a much dumber version of me converted my 76 fj40 to a SBC. That involved changing the throttle linkage to a cable and finally that cable has broken at the pedal end. The kit I got back in the day was a complete petal with a cable assembly that replaced everything. From the pics at SOR, it appears to be the unthreaded end of '68 - '69 version.

All I really need is the inner cable though, it'd be nice if I could get just that but I don't mind getting the whole assembly if I knew I was getting the right one.

Anyone with a bit of experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if your pedal is exactly the same as my '72, but when my throttle cable broke at the pedal I replaced it with a bicycle brake cable. Works perfect.

I bought setup from Lokar worked good

black-throttlecable2.png

1/8" cable from Ace hardware
O'Reilley cable stop drilled to 1/8"
fits in a SOR sheath I modified the SOR pedal to allow the cable to protrude...
lets me gets me camera...
these are the parts on my bench.

I'm planning on installing a third cable stop, one behind a long end for the trail, as a spare for the trail, and I'll have just enough cable to make the original length if it breaks.

Also, electrical shrinkwrap to cover the sharp end...

20211217_150928.jpg

The SOR cable was 1/16", but the 1/8" from the bulk spool fit fine in the SOR sheath. The 1/16" is on the left in the photo.
20211217_150943.jpg

Last edited:
Check out ebay #265389700271, I've been selling these for umpteen years now, much upgraded over the factory cables.
I am not exactly sure but I may have bought the one I was using from a Downey catalog back in the mid-1980s.

I might buy a purpose-built one, I am about to do another round of work on it.

Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom