FJ62 Neutral safety switch starting to fail (no current to starter) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Intermittent problem where my ignition switch does not engage the starter without jiggling the shift lever (usually pushing lever hard forward and holding it there)

Would like to know two things on this ;

1. Is there a bush fix for the day that it finally craps out on me

2. What are the ways to bypass the thing and avoid replacing/re-building the switch --- or is this not even possible because the ECU needs the PRND32L position in order to start and run?

Thx

Have you opened up the neutral safety switch to clean it and make sure all of the connections are good? I wasn't getting rear reverse lights when I shifted into reverse and I found a thread describing how to fix that. Just make sure that if you open it up you don't lose any of the springs or nodes that are inside it.

Are your shifter bushing non existent? Along witj the grommets in the shifter linkage dryrooted? I would start in these area's first.
Tommy

20211112_231427.jpg

20211112_231408.jpg

20211112_231341.jpg

20211112_231745.jpg

20211112_231814.jpg

20211121_210929.jpg

Do your reverse lights work when in reverse?
Do your reverse lights work when in reverse?
Reverse lights Do work.

However, I do know that my blue plastic shifter bushings cracked and deteriorated many years ago, and so of course the shifter is a bit loose.

As for the rubber bushings you show, I do not know their condition (i just replaced all 24 or whatever suspension bushings so I am pretty sure these are petrified like those were)

I will check all of my contacts

HOWEVER ... still wondering if there is a bush fix for the day that i am stranded in a parking lot.

It will also start with the shifter in "N". You can jump the circuit if you identify which wires it is. However the ECU does read the status of the neutral start switch for idle control. You can see this if you quickly shift the transmission into drive and then back to neutral - the idle speed will briefly increase.

But really, just replace the bushings in your shifter. They're still available from Toyota, cheap and only take like 25 minutes to change.

It will also start with the shifter in "N". You can jump the circuit if you identify which wires it is. However the ECU does read the status of the neutral start switch for idle control. You can see this if you quickly shift the transmission into drive and then back to neutral - the idle speed will briefly increase.

But really, just replace the bushings in your shifter. They're still available from Toyota, cheap and only take like 25 minutes to change.
ok - i actually have those bushings after stocking up years ago on a bunch of small parts - so you're saying that with a little luck, the looseness in my shifter might be causing a contact issue ? Guess that makes sense - worth a try. Thanks

Can anyone confirm the part numbers and quantities for the bushings? I’ve already done the blue one but need to do the rest of them down the line. It looks like 2 each for these two parts. Is there a cotter pin that helps hold things together? Any change of that snapping and needing replacement too?

A21F7F26-021A-4BB0-9248-29B9C7E20B43.jpeg

I have a similar wiggly shifter issue. We have replaced the bushings under the shift lever cover in the cab of the truck - how do I get to the other rubber grommets? from the cab under the shift trim or from below?
i think this is a better pic of that area?

Last edited:
I have a similar wiggly shifter issue. We have replaced the bushings under the cover in the cab of the truck - how do I get to the other rubber grommets? from the cab under the shift trim or from below?
i think this is a better pic of that area?
ok. went home and answered my own question. there are two of these grommets - one on either end of the linkage, along the driver's side of the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom