2022 Tundra = US 300 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What’s really crazy is how well the GX still sells despite that swing out gate. Did we ever learn why they went with that when the 4 runner is the same car with a million times more practical and cooler rear hatch?

Angelo I support your quest for LX 600 but at the same time here are the facts:

- Front intercooler design will make a front bumper almost impossible (look at the nude photos)
- rear gate makes a rear bumper hitch basket impossible
- no V8
- rear gate sucks
- 20% smaller tank means no added range, range is still worst in industry lol
- fold flat seats raises rear load floor
- fold flat 3rd row is non removable making all slider cargo systems impossible
- despite all the marketing lies that they cleverly lowered the engine and transmission center of g by 2 degrees down and in, you have a floor driveline hump in second row that is pretty high (they try to hide this with the lx rear seat comfort stack) so a third passenger there has no leg room in a 6,000 lb behemoth LOL
- third row windows shrunk in size and still don’t open
- regular ass moonroof

If the 750h is a thing it may be worth looking at but go get you a 2021 LX mr money bags before it’s too late. Send my apologies to your wife.

What’s really crazy is how well the GX still sells despite that swing out gate. Did we ever learn why they went with that when the 4 runner is the same car with a million times more practical and cooler rear hatch?

- Front intercooler design will make a front bumper almost impossible (look at the nude photos)
- no V8
- rear gate sucks
- despite all the marketing lies that they cleverly lowered the engine and transmission center of g by 2 degrees down and in, you have a floor driveline hump in second row that is pretty high (they try to hide this with the lx rear seat comfort stack) so a third passenger there has no leg room in a 6,000 lb behemoth LOL
- regular ass moonroof

If the 750h is a thing it may be worth looking at but go get you a 2021 LX mr money bags before it’s too late. Send my apologies to your wife.
It has that swing out because other markets get the spare mounted on it and an aux fuel tank underneath.

I'd be ok with the 180 being a G-Wagon competitor.

Lots of interesting info here from the Tundra’s development team. Literally spent years in Japan working with Land Cruiser team. Frame looks very similar.

Shameless plug for the absolute best car review crew on YouTube as well. Check their channel out. No affiliation.

Great video. In the absence of the 300 here in the US, this just might be my next truck. I’ve been drooling over some of the Tundra camper builds out there for years.

The Tundra interior has been a big turn off for me but this looks promising. Also…

it has a tailgate.

Last edited:
The definitely turned things around in regards to the interior. The previous generation left a lot to be desired in that department.

- no V8
- rear gate sucks
- regular ass moonroof

Puzzling the lift gate is cool on the 4Runner but not on the new LX? I would bet the price of the LX that all the seats are removable, they don't weld them in.

If this is the last ICE engine version of the LC we see in the USA I may be in the market for one just before I retire.

Puzzling the lift gate is cool on the 4Runner but not on the new LX? I would bet the price of the LX that all the seats are removable, they don't weld them in.

If this is the last ICE engine version of the LC we see in the USA I may be in the market for one just before I retire.
Agreed. If this is the last ICE LC we get, Im in. There’s a lot of assumptions in that post presented as fact.

I’ve seen images and videos of several 300s with aftermarket bumpers, and it just launched a few months ago.

Rear seat system looks identical to the 150 and those of us who own one know they are removable and slide cargo systems are possible and exist. I’m guessing the 300 will be no different.

Plus this stuff about lack of panoramic sunroof on a global platform needs to stop… it’s not happening. The other markets where these vehicles are big sellers don’t want them.

Remember Toyota saying "stayed tuned for exciting news" after cancelling the Land Cruiser for the US market?
This is the exciting news. Yeah...
The EV taco concept does look sweet!
1639575663569.png

I think it's more implementation than anything. Just like previous Land Cruisers were known for the split tailgate, the one feature that absolutely defined the 4Runner was the rear roll down cargo hatch window. It gave it a little bit of extra function especially for dog owners or for throwing in 2x4's and surfboards. I think it would have been a nice feature to add to the 300 series LC considering they dropped the split tailgate.

That Tacoma certainly looks promising and exciting, much better front end design than the bulbous grille on the Tundra. Scale up the 4-door FJ and it probably becomes a viable alternative to the JLU and new Bronco.

I think it's more implementation than anything. Just like previous Land Cruisers were known for the split tailgate, the one feature that absolutely defined the 4Runner was the rear roll down cargo hatch window. It gave it a little bit of extra function especially for dog owners or for throwing in 2x4's and surfboards. I think it would have been a nice feature to add to the 300 series LC considering they dropped the split tailgate.

The roll down rear hatch glass is far and away the best feature of the 4Runner. I have my fingers crossed that it'll be retained on the 6th Gen.

Agreed. If this is the last ICE LC we get, Im in. There’s a lot of assumptions in that post presented as fact.

I’ve seen images and videos of several 300s with aftermarket bumpers, and it just launched a few months ago.

Rear seat system looks identical to the 150 and those of us who own one know they are removable and slide cargo systems are possible and exist. I’m guessing the 300 will be no different.

Plus this stuff about lack of panoramic sunroof on a global platform needs to stop… it’s not happening. The other markets where these vehicles are big sellers don’t want them.

I’m sure you can mount a front bumper but at the expense of reducing airflow to the twin inter coolers which are lower in the louver area that will be covered up. Look at the photos. There’s no speculation there compared the the 200 and prior.

A rear basket is impossible with the way the lift gate would open. In the 200 you can lift the top half. Sorry mate.

Removing that built in fold flat 3rd row will need additional modification to put in sliders.” And would not be easily reversible either for carrying people again. But either way, when you load cargo in there obviously the seat backs are covered. The 200 didn’t have that problem. You could still install something with the way the seats folded out and away without having to remove anything, even if you lost their use permanently you would not need interior modification. Also we have a GX in the family I know the platform not speaking out of ignorance on that.

Pano sunroof preferences are fine, but your statement is not at all factual. You’re talking about cost limitations and foreign markets like Australia, ME, and Russia absolutely do not care and they buy every luxury product they can get their hands on. I’ve lived in and I’m from the Middle East and can tell you that they absolutely want the best offerings. To hobble the product for poverty pack government / African use is a bad move either way if that’s what you believe the “purpose” was. It’s not. It’s just a cheap cash cow and Toyota knows that.

What I presented was fact, what you presented was indeed all the assumptions…

Be my guest and buy a 300. I’m just not fanboying over a bad product that lost a s*** ton of features.

Rumor is that they're going after g wagon with the j180. Boxy, triple locked, ultimate luxury off roader.

I think it returns… with the spare mounted to it this time.
where did you hear this?

- Front intercooler design will make a front
I was not aware of that.
bumper almost impossible (look at the nude photos)
- no V8
- rear gate sucks
- regular ass moonroof

I take it you don’t sell Lexus. 🤣 Cargo boxes aren’t my jam as I need cargo space.

- Front intercooler design will make a bumper almost impossible (look at the nude photos)
- no V8
- rear gate sucks
- regular ass moonroof

The rear gate is bigger crux fir me
Rumor is that they're going after g wagon with the j180. Boxy, triple locked, ultimate luxury off roader.

I think it returns… with the spare mounted to it this time.
I would be shocked if they were going after a $150k Gwagon but if what you say has any merit, I would certainly be interested. The current platform makes a pretty decent off-roader in the aftermarket world.

- no V8
- rear gate sucks
- regular ass moonroof

lol! I wish I was Mr. money bags. Cash poor and investment…well not hurting in that aspect. 🤷🏻 My wife would rather me drive a used f150. She’s the ultimate money saving samurai. I am leaning towards a slightly used LX570 or another 200 when prices ease and they will. I had no idea about all the stuff pertaining to the 600 you mentioned, expect for the stupid rear cargo door. Nice way to talk me out of that. Good thing you don’t sell Lexus 🤣🤪

I was not aware of that.

I take it you don’t sell Lexus. 🤣 Cargo boxes aren’t my jam as I need cargo space.

The rear gate is bigger crux fir me

I would be shocked if they were going after a $150k Gwagon but if what you say has any merit, I would certainly be interested. The current platform makes a pretty decent off-roader in the aftermarket world.

lol! I wish I was Mr. money bags. Cash poor and investment…well not hurting in that aspect. 🤷🏻 My wife would rather me drive a used f150. She’s the ultimate money saving samurai. I am leaning towards a slightly used LX570 or another 200 when prices ease and they will. I had no idea about all the stuff pertaining to the 600 you mentioned, expect for the stupid rear cargo door. Nice way to talk me out of that. Good thing you don’t sell Lexus 🤣🤪

There are improvements like ive mentioned in AHC, suspension travel, some interior and offroad technology bits but still...
You lose a lot of creature comforts, ergonomics and other brand/segment specific functions. The more i learned about the 300 platform, the more i disliked it.
I can tell you are more inclined to those things like i am instead of being into a spartan barebones off roader so i was just giving you some of the realities.

As far as a basket i want to pop it on, put gas and crap in it i dont want inside, go offroad, when i get home take it off in 5 minutes. Im not going to take it on and off every-time i want to access the hatch.... Not to mention that hatch will probably no longer even open in my garage.

Im also not going to try and choke out the entire massive front grille which was fitted for a purpose despite it looking terrible and everyone hating it with an aftermarket front bumper that will seal it in with metal plates. Its already a compromise on the 200 and now with one more cooler, and both offset to the extreme ends of the bumper left and right, that will be even more of an issue.

If indeed an all electric fleet is coming with a bunch of refinements for lexus etc thats great. I take back a lot of flack i gave toyota thus far.
However, when it comes to the 300 LC and LX 600 these were clearly designed by the dormant Toyota of yesteryear and not whoever came up with the new and relevant aggressive market competition.

This surprise announcement will give me a lot more faith in Lexus going forward. The existing fleet was going nowhere for the company.
All of the back talk i got for trashing Toyota and Lexus has now been fully vindicated as they are revamping their entire (completely lame and obsolete) brand.

There was no way they were going to compete this decade with what they had. Wether you think thats right or wrong is subjective, but the market in general doesnt care. They want forward looking products. Not a LC 300 that came straight out of 2010.

This is slowly not becoming a rumor… ;)

Sadayoshi Koyari is on the motha-fawka

Very exciting!

Remember Toyota saying "stayed tuned for exciting news" after cancelling the Land Cruiser for the US market?
This is the exciting news. Yeah...
The EV taco concept does look sweet!
View attachment 2865801
The real problem with EVs off-road, is they go through the battery extremely fast once they need to use low range. It’s not like you can carry an extra battery around, like you can with gas.

They have had real problems with the hard top roof as why most you see have soft tops. Not the end of the World. Not sure about other problems it may or may not have. The new Raptor is pretty dang impressive though.
They have had other issues as well, including with the climate control system fire up full fan and heat with no input. I have family that works in Ford assembly plants in Michigan and Ohio so we can get a good discount but i would never buy one. Even my family that works in the plants are at their wits end with the quality issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom