1980 FJ40 Smog Pump Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm still required to have the factory smog pump on my 1980 to pass the biannual smog inspection in California. I was tightening a fan belt last week and heard a noticeable growl coming from the smog pump. I know there are no new units out there but am wondering if anyone is still running the factory smog pump and had occasion to rebuild it? The last time a had one rebuilt for another vehicle, is lasted about a year and seized up on me. I was hoping to find a reference for someone who can rebuild them to last a very long time. Back in the day, a mechanic told me the smog pump was not really a Toyota part but was instead sourced from the third party and that this same pump was found on MGBs of the same period sold in the US. Not sure if that was true or if it would help me find a reputable rebuilder.

Maybe this is even near you. B-Z Rebuilders Canoga Park, California 818 703 0821. Got mine rebuilt 2 years ago for 200 bucks, was like two day turn around.

Thanks for the reply. Not to far away. Can I ask how many miles/years you got on your rebuild?

1979 and 1980 smog pumps are different than the later version
even finding a replacement would be difficult, thinking rebuild or good used is your only option.

I repaired the pump on my ‘76. The rear Torrington bearing had shucked a needle bearing that got crosswise, seizing the rotor. The nut on the pulley has left hand threads, righty loosely. I had trouble sourcing the bearing and after waiting a couple of weeks I gave up and just put it back together minus the one needle (out of about 100) and it ran for another 8 years beforeI sold it.

Yes, these pumps are a pain but I am stuck with having to maintain it as long as I am in CA. I'll give the guys in Canoga Park a try.

Do you know ( inoperative odometer - pretty common ) how many miles are on your 40? As the old saying goes, “ nothing is forever”.

It's funny thinking about it. I watch the new vehicles on my block become old and get replaced over and over and my 40 is always the same. It feels like it did since the day I bought it in 1994. I checked the clock last month and it showing about 45K which is 145K in my case. Still original built engine with one clutch replacement and some better T/C gearing for crawling. I hope it lasts a long time because I always look forward to a trip in it. Its not miles per gallon but miles of smiles in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom