Tighter Colorado emissions standards starting 1/1/22 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My last Larimer County emissions run was 2020 and the stated limits for my 94 were:
HC GPM Limit 2.0
CO GPM Limit 20.0
NOx GPM Limit 4.0

The inspection covered Gas Cap, Gas Cap Integrity, Catalytic Presence, Air Injection System Presence, and Oxygen Sensor Presence.

I'm going to go next week since I'm due early 2022 anyway.

Crap. Here are the numbers for mine in Jeffco: does anyone know if we are considered light trucks or light vehicles excluding trucks? Light trucks have a slightly higher limit (in parentheses)

HC .6 2018 limit 1.2 new limit .8 (or 1)
CO 7.7 limit 15
NOx 1.9 2018 limit 3.5 new limit 1.5 (or 2)

May not pass NOx depending on which limit they choose.

HC .4 2020 limit 1.2 new limit .8 (or 1)
CO 11 limit 15
NOx 2.6 2020 limit 3.0 new limit 1.5 (or 2)

Wouldn’t pass NOx either way. Looks like I need to figure out how to get the NOx down.

Crap. Here are the numbers for mine in Jeffco: does anyone know if we are considered light trucks or light vehicles excluding trucks? Light trucks have a slightly higher limit (in parentheses)

HC .6 2018 limit 1.2 new limit .8 (or 1)
CO 7.7 limit 15
NOx 1.9 2018 limit 3.5 new limit 1.5 (or 2)

May not pass NOx depending on which limit they choose.

HC .4 2020 limit 1.2 new limit .8 (or 1)
CO 11 limit 15
NOx 2.6 2020 limit 3.0 new limit 1.5 (or 2)

Wouldn’t pass NOx either way. Looks like I need to figure out how to get the NOx down.
Based on the previous limits which I erroneously posted earlier in the thread, and the actual limits stated on my recent tests, I concluded that 80 Series are light duty trucks.

Did I see somewhere someone say 35in tires and they just do an OBDII test…??
I started reading the data and it made my head hurt.

Are they going to require dyno testing? Here (Cali) being AWD they only did OBD, dyno was required for 2wd only. 4 wheel dynos are expensive, hell 2wd dynos are expensive.

What I'm trying to say is, if you have an AWD vehicle, good luck finding an AWD smog check. I hope they exclude AWD's.

I started reading the data and it made my head hurt.

Are they going to require dyno testing? Here (Cali) being AWD they only did OBD, dyno was required for 2wd only. 4 wheel dynos are expensive, hell 2wd dynos are expensive.

What I'm trying to say is, if you have an AWD vehicle, good luck finding an AWD smog check. I hope they exclude AWD's.
Nope. All the stations have AWD dynos

Nope. All the stations have AWD dynos
So much for hoping.
By brother lives in Vegas. When be bought his Mercedes AWD diesel SUV, he had to do a registration smog check. He had to drive to another county to find one.

I'm curious how they can legally require a vehicle to pass emissions it couldn't meet when new.

This is a question for someone in an non emissions state. So sorry for the ignorant question
I agree. It’s BS.

I'm curious how they can legally require a vehicle to pass emissions it couldn't meet when new.

This is a question for someone in an non emissions state. So sorry for the ignorant question
Agree, makes absolutely no sense. No emissions in the county where I live but I’m afraid the emission nazi mindset is creeping closer…

According to this it’s being done to earn air quality credits whatever that means.

My impression from looking at the graphs produced on my failed tests is that it is better to run with ETC on and overdrive off. I concluded this because it appeared (I am not certain of this), that lower emissions occurred at higher rpm’s right before an up shift. My hypothesis is that overdrive off and ECT on results in a higher average rpm during the test and hence reduced emissions. I am certainly open to different views on this since my certainty is low. There is certainly a peak/valley pattern in acceleration on the graph. If the peal is before an up shift, rather than after an up shift I think it would mean it is better to keep the ETC off. On one of my recent tests, the tech turned off the ECT at some point because when I got in the truck it was off. Overdrive was still off.

My impression from looking at the graphs produced on my failed tests is that it is better to run with ETC on and overdrive off. I concluded this because it appeared (I am not certain of this), that lower emissions occurred at higher rpm’s right before an up shift. My hypothesis is that overdrive off and ECT on results in a higher average rpm during the test and hence reduced emissions. I am certainly open to different views on this since my certainty is low. There is certainly a peak/valley pattern in acceleration on the graph. If the peal is before an up shift, rather than after an up shift I think it would mean it is better to keep the ETC off. On one of my recent tests, the tech turned off the ECT at some point because when I got in the truck it was off. Overdrive was still off.
I looked at my recent tests again, comparing the test with ETC on and ETC off. The peaks at the shift points are higher with the ETC off than with it on. I think this confirms my view that it’s better to have ETC on.

Did I see somewhere someone say 35in tires and they just do an OBDII test…??

That had been a rule for a long time and they didn’t enforce it. About 3 years ago they started enforcing it. I was led to believe that the Greeley shop could handle 35s so I went up there. Nope.

And yeah, they will do some OBDII test and mine has it but since their damn book says “96 and later” and mine is a late 95 with it, they couldn’t do it.

So I registered under my house in Mineral County. I tried.

Last edited:
BTW, I know several people that had startling success using Lucas blue label to get the NOx down. Every emission test they did it it cut it in half.
Can you please clarify what you mean? I can find Johnnie Walker but not Lucas…

This I suspect

05646B40-7E92-436D-85AD-0E03BFA5B794.png

Wow, very sorry to see this emission insanity spreading to your neck of the woods. Most of these rigs just see weekend, recreation use at least that's my case. I've lived the nightmare in Kalifornia.

Wow, very sorry to see this emission insanity spreading to your neck of the woods. Most of these rigs just see weekend, recreation use at least that's my case. I've lived the nightmare in Kalifornia.

I daily mine. Mostly because I already have 4 cars, wanted a land cruiser, so I sold my daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom