Aqualu tub fitment issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I replaced a rusty tub on my '78 with an Aqualu and have had nothing but headaches with fitment. Is this a standard issue with their tubs?
It has battled me every single step of the way and in hindsight, wish I would have just ponied up and purchased a CCOT tub. The tub looks great but I have spent a ton of hours fitting EVERYTHING. Doors and hardtop have been a nightmare but even the side steps are problematic and the tranny hump nearly caused me to lose my religion. It seems like the top rail on the tub is about 3/8" too tall and I'm not happy with the door fitment on any of the doors. Did anyone else have these issues?
The terrible video they send does not really help with installation and I've sent a few emails to them with no response.

Thanks!

There were a few fitment problems on my restomod, but I got the body parts from Cruiser Solutions back in 2004. I got a 1978 tub, cowl, windshield frame, fenders, apron, running boards, bib, and a tailgate for when the top was off. I put early doors on it to have the vent windows and steel interior, so that was one fitment problem. And the whole front clip was a struggle to get the alignment with the steel hood. It is still off center by an inch or so, but I didn't notice until I mounted a brushguard and I figure nobody else will notice unless I point it out. The top and rear doors fitted well. I had to make some cushions where the B-pillar posts insert (which I cut down to 6-8 inches). I made the cushions out of really thick rubber from a horse stall mat. Luckily I had a secret weapon for the project - FJ40Jim.

Cruiser in process.jpeg

My CCOT tub had a pile of fitment issues as well - so I wouldn't lose sleep over choosing the Aqualu option. I'd go with Aqua' for my next one, or just get the sketchy/cheap SA tub and know that there's work to do but at least it was cheaper upfront (vs paying more AND having to rework it).

Last edited:
I believe that Aquala builds tubs etc.. to original design specs on the Toyota documents. That said, most trucks are old , worn, etc.. and it may be the truck as well. Using these over many years flexing can perhaps make small movements that can accumulate as well.

Thanks for the input! Since I only got a 3/4 tub, I really thought it was going to be a pretty straightforward re-assembly. I should have done more research and understood exactly what I was in for before making the jump. If I'm being truthful, I should have just purchased a completely restored 40 and would have come out ahead financially and emotionally! :D

Thanks for the input! Since I only got a 3/4 tub, I really thought it was going to be a pretty straightforward re-assembly. I should have done more research and understood exactly what I was in for before making the jump. If I'm being truthful, I should have just purchased a completely restored 40 and would have come out ahead financially and emotionally! :D
I’m learning that lesson as well.

wish I would have just ponied up and purchased a CCOT tub.
You might want to rethink that wish. CCOT sure didn't stand behind their work on this tub.

I know Aqualu had fitment issues with there 1st gen tubs about 10 years ago or less. How new of a build is your tub? I know at least a dozen friends with aqua tubs and the assembly was pretty easy no real issues. The issues were with matting old parts to the new on spec tub.

You might want to rethink that wish. CCOT sure didn't stand behind their work on this tub.
Man that is rough and sorry to hear you went through that with the tub.

@Varty Yo - the tub is new (this year) so no idea why everything was off.

Hey everyone,

I replaced a rusty tub on my '78 with an Aqualu and have had nothing but headaches with fitment. Is this a standard issue with their tubs?
It has battled me every single step of the way and in hindsight, wish I would have just ponied up and purchased a CCOT tub. The tub looks great but I have spent a ton of hours fitting EVERYTHING. Doors and hardtop have been a nightmare but even the side steps are problematic and the tranny hump nearly caused me to lose my religion. It seems like the top rail on the tub is about 3/8" too tall and I'm not happy with the door fitment on any of the doors. Did anyone else have these issues?
The terrible video they send does not really help with installation and I've sent a few emails to them with no response.

Thanks!

Will you post up some photos of the specific fitment issues you have had with it? I am curious to see them.

Me too, I have a full aqualu tub and cowl. It’s definitely not perfect and if I ever do another I’m pretty sure it can be made close to fitting like factory.

Will you post up some photos of the specific fitment issues you have had with it? I am curious to see them.
I'll get some photos up later but nearly everything was off and required additional cutting or drilling:

1. Tran hump- this was the worst and required fabbing a spacer to make it look correct
  2. Doors (side and ambulance): these were way off and using 100% of my bracket adjustments it is still off by 1/2". There is a gap at the top that I can't get corrected.
  3. Hardtop: I think all of my door issues are mainly due to the fact that the hardtop sits 1/2" too high. My guess is the tub top rail is out of spec and throwing everything off. I had to do a lot of grinding on the hardtop flange to try to make it fit flush with the tub and could not use the rail gasket.
  4. Seats- bracket holes were off and required drilling and cursing

Since the hardtop was throwing off the spacing, it would not allow me to use the factory holes in a brand new windshield frame so had to do some fabbing on the hardtop lip.

All in all, it has just been 10x the work I was expecting and has really taken the spunk out of me to work on this thing. I wish they would have better installation instructions as the 1980's video they send with the tub make it seem very simple. Or at least respond to their customers when installation questions arise.

I used one of there stretched 3/4 tub when I did my build and did have some issues with it but most of the issues were due to bad A pillars (lots of rust) After I fixed my A pillars, everything went together pretty well. I also found that the top edge was a bit tall but after a little cutting the hard top went on well (with gasket). You can take a look at my build for some of the stuff I did to make it work.

Man that is rough and sorry to hear you went through that with the tub.

@Varty Yo - the tub is new (this year) so no idea why everything was off.
All good - end of the day, it's just metal...but definitely didn't expect to spend the time and the back and forth. I can feel your pain for sure.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
If you look at my build thread I go into getting my tub to fit. You can call aqualu and talk to them as well.
20171231_122822-1008x756.jpg

I'm helping Chris with his build. I can attest to his troubles. Several things I noticed.
The gusset in the rear corner is flush with the rail. The top mounting service has a small lip that rolls over the edge. The gusset is in the way so we had to trim the roll off to get the top to sit correctly. But that didn't help the top of the doors any.
This one I can't get over. The gas tank well isn't deep enough. Without anything under the stock gas tank, the cover will not make it down to the floor anywhere. It's boy 3/8ths away. The well isn't deep enough. How do they miss that?
The front doors are way blowup top and leave a gap. A huge gap. The hinges have been completely removed and adjusted as high as we can go. Still a huge gap. The doors just don't fit back on as well as they did on the "bucket" it was. My first aluminum tub rodeo and I didn't like it any better than the owner did. (that's speaking volumes.)

I'm helping Chris with his build. I can attest to his troubles. Several things I noticed.
The gusset in the rear corner is flush with the rail. The top mounting service has a small lip that rolls over the edge. The gusset is in the way so we had to trim the roll off to get the top to sit correctly. But that didn't help the top of the doors any.
This one I can't get over. The gas tank well isn't deep enough. Without anything under the stock gas tank, the cover will not make it down to the floor anywhere. It's boy 3/8ths away. The well isn't deep enough. How do they miss that?
The front doors are way blowup top and leave a gap. A huge gap. The hinges have been completely removed and adjusted as high as we can go. Still a huge gap. The doors just don't fit back on as well as they did on the "bucket" it was. My first aluminum tub rodeo and I didn't like it any better than the owner did. (that's speaking volumes.)
Did you talk to aqualu?

Did you talk to aqualu?
Thanks Rainman and not yet @White Stripe . I wanted to get some feedback on here first to see if there was anything that I missed or if I was an anomaly. I have emailed Aqualu a few times to get some help but have not heard back so I'll try calling. This has just been a complete nightmare and I should have kept my original tub and patched it. It would have been quicker and cheaper in the end.

I knew the owners when they first started up. They came to the GSMTR lots of times. Great guys. I can't say I liked their product very much. Of course, as I said, it's my first stab at an aluminum tub.

The fuel tank well on mine was too shallow as well, but it doesn’t sound like it is as bad as yours. I was able to get the cover to attach to the floor everywhere but on the door jam. I adapted to make it work but it sounds like yours is beyond adaptation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom