What transmission fluid for a 99 LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read a few older threads and got a lot of mixed information from them. Can anyone give me a straight answer on what type of fluid is okay for a 99 Land cruiser? Is it okay to just use the mobile one synthetic ATF?

Thanks!

ATF is the correct fluid for the 98-02 100 series with the A343F 4 speed automatic. I use Mobil 1 ATF in my 2001

I read a few older threads and got a lot of mixed information from them. Can anyone give me a straight answer on what type of fluid is okay for a 99 Land cruiser? Is it okay to just use the mobile one synthetic ATF?

Thanks!

Oh my.. Here's it comes.. M1 Syn ATF is fine. I think there are many on here using it. A 99 model is easy since it only requires Dexron III.

So anything from Costco or Walmart (e.g. from Warren) to the most expensive boutique Dexron compatible on this earth.

What are your other vehicles? Are you using an ATF that you like today?

Oh my.. Here's it comes.. M1 Syn ATF is fine. I think there are many on here using it. A 99 model is easy since it only requires Dexron III.

So anything from Costco or Walmart (e.g. from Warren) to the most expensive boutique Dexron compatible on this earth.

What are your other vehicles? Are you using an ATF that you like today?

I have a 2013 Mazda 3 that has supposed lifetime fluid, Im getting ready to do that soon. Have a few more years until my F250 will need any ATF.

I have a 2013 Mazda 3 that has supposed lifetime fluid, Im getting ready to do that soon. Have a few more years until my F250 will need any ATF.
In that case, you have many options for a Dex III+ compatible. I change fluids more often than most due to extreme dust and mud conditions.

I use old style non-synthetic atf (valvoline from walmart, about 14 a gallon) on the advice of a previous mechanic. Seems to work, the truck still moves and gets great mileage -almost 14 mpg!

M1 MV full syn ATF is top shelf.

Our 98-02 love it. My local Toyota Dealerships shop Uses it in problem Transmission running hot, to get temp down. Otherwise they just use cheap bulk Dex III.

BTW: All 98 thur 2022 LC and LX power steering love it too. For that matter any Toyota requiring ATF dex I, II or III

I've done full 12qt flushes in 98 w/ ~350K miles that had never been flushed before, but used for towing. Trans was slipping, but no longer after. My 00LX w/350K miles also. My 01 I ran it in last 100K miles I had it. Had a 01LX last summer a CA shop did drain and fill with who knows what. Throwing codes and runn hot. Flushed w/full 12 qt M1 and no more issue. I flushed more Dex III rated transmission with M1, than I can remember. Not one has had a problem. They range for 60K to 370K miles before first flush. Improved each and everyone's shifting. Fact is you can barely feel when they shift.

Difficult part is setting level. As it's hard to get to hot:
98-02 158-176F. Dex III ATF
2003 158-176F Toy IV
2004-up 98-115f Toy WS ATF (TSB set level 04-07)

If Exxonmobil would approve for 03 which takes Toy IV, I'd use it in them. I'd use in place of Toy WS ATF, if approved.

BTW: Exxonmobil makes transmission fluid for Toyota. They also make a full syn WS, but will not sell in USA. Wonder why!

I wish our Walmarts would sell it. Stuff is not cheap, but well worth it.

Our 98-02 love it. My local Toyota Dealerships shop Uses it in problem Transmission running hot, to get temp down. Otherwise they just use cheap bulk Dex III.

BTW: All 98 thur 2022 LC and LX power steering love it too. For that matter any Toyota requiring ATF dex I, II or III

I've done full 12qt flushes in 98 w/ ~350K miles that had never been flushed before, but used for towing. Trans was slipping, but no longer after. My 00LX w/350K miles also. My 01 I ran it in last 100K miles I had it. Had a 01LX last summer a CA shop did drain and fill with who knows what. Throwing codes and runn hot. Flushed w/full 12 qt M1 and no more issue. I flushed more Dex III rated transmission with M1, than I can remember. Not one has had a problem. They range for 60K to 370K miles before first flush. Improved each and everyone's shifting. Fact is you can barely feel when they shift.

2003 158-176F Toy IV

If Exxonmobil would approve for 03 which takes Toy IV, I'd use it in them. I'd use in place of Toy WS ATF, if approved.

BTW: Exxonmobil makes transmission fluid for Toyota. They also make a full syn WS, but will not sell in USA. Wonder why!

Thanks for the info! My 99 has 245k and I don't know if the trans is ever been serviced. I plan to do a 12 qt flush myself as part of the baseline.

Thanks for the info! My 99 has 245k and I don't know if the trans is ever been serviced. I plan to do a 12 qt flush myself as part of the baseline.
Many will warn, do not do a full 12qt flush.

Issue is clutch plates fall apart, that are held together by gunk. Synthetic will clean your transmission. But so will standard Dexron III, just not as well.

But I always warn people, saying this: If it goes bad after a full 12qt flush, you've a bad transmission. Better it fails now, than 500 miles from nowhere! Or we can play it safe and do drain & fills every few hundred miles, 4 times. Then come back in year and do full 12qt at one time. 99 out of 100 times we just do the full 12qt.

2003 158-176F Toy IV

One more question for you, sorry. I went to order the Mobil 1 MV ATF, and saw there is also a LV (low viscocity?) variant, which says "dexron approved" on the bottle. Is one better than the other for my 99's transmission?

I just did the flush on my 02 yesterday with the Valvoline Max Life - $17.95 per Gal / Amazon. I flushed and refilled with roughly 17 quarts.
I have also used this over and over again on my 02 4runner (301K). never an issue.

The only one I've been using for last 15 yrs or so, is: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is a multi-vehicle, fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It is a little higher viscosity than some. Which I ran MPG comparisons. I lost less than 0.5 MPG using it, then standard or blended..but I like it anyway. Good stuff!

I see they have a Mobile (That's not Mobil One) that states: Dexron III, Toyota/Lexus: T; T-III; T-IV; WS; FZ; Type D-III; Type T-IV. Long life. Which I don't know if they now sell in USA. I need to look at this one. As I could than use for 98-up.

The LV I see is DEXRON® HP ATF. That's not Dexron I, II or III rated. I would not use.

A lot of guys use Valvoline Max life. I don't. Not anything wrong with it. I just choose years ago, to stick with all ExxonMobil product in the shop Just as Toyota did/does!

Last edited:
A few months back I did a drain and fill of about ~3 Qts. on my 99 TLC with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and I can report that it is still working. :)

I've just spent some time on the phone with Exxonmobil engineer tech support. Basically they can't give much info on the Toyota products they make.

Gist of conversation:

The Mobile One line, is flag ship and top shelve. For our possposes, Mobile One MV full synthetic, is approved for use as Dexron III. Which is what's called for in our: 98-02 transmission and 98-up Power steering

Mobil MV full syn ATF, is a very high quality, but not as high base stock as Mobil ONE. Both very high quality. But the ONE, has better heat resistance and longer life rating. Not something most would every notice. Mobil MV Full syn ATF is approved for (not tested with or approved by Toyota) where Dexron III and Toy IV and Toy WS is called for. So can be use 98-up transmission & power steering. This product was a blended product, reformulated in the last to a full Synthetic. I've got to give it a try one day for sure. I see as a step up above Toyota IV or WS as it's a full synthetic.

When I compare prices. If price does tell anything other than marketing.

Mobil One is top shelf.
Mobil, is on second shelf.
Toyota (made by Exxonmobil) third shelf down, of the three. But still very high quality.

Consider also Toyota mark-ups. Cost difference would put Mobil One in a super category, over Toyota.

In the past decade, I've purchased a few 200,000+ mile Japanese automatics with severely neglected transmissions. In one case, the fluid looked more like black motor oil than transmission fluid. The car had 230,000 miles and I suspect the transmission fluid had never been changed. To get the rehabilitation process going without sending the patient to the morgue, I slowly introduced new fluid by doing a drain and refill, driving 200 miles, then "rinse and repeat" until I had exchanged 12 quarts.

After the fluid exchanges cleared up the old mess, then I changed the filter screen that was surprisingly clear considering where it started. This case happened in 2011. So we have been lucky to get 10 years out of that car and transmission. I can't guarantee this process will work for anyone else. I can report that I have personally had success with slowly introducing new fluid into old neglected automatics.

I've just spent some time on the phone with Exxonmobil engineer tech support. Basically they can't give much info on the Toyota products they make.

Gist of conversation:

The Mobile One line, is flag ship and top shelve. For our possposes, Mobile One MV full synthetic, is approved for use as Dexron III. Which is what's called for in our: 98-02 transmission and 98-up Power steering

Mobil MV full syn ATF, is a very high quality, but not as high base stock as Mobil ONE. Both very high quality. But the ONE, has better heat resistance and longer life rating. Not something most would every notice. Mobil MV Full syn ATF is approved for (not tested with or approved by Toyota) where Dexron III and Toy IV and Toy WS is called for. So can be use 98-up transmission & power steering. This product was a blended product, reformulated in the last to a full Synthetic. I've got to give it a try one day for sure. I see as a step up above Toyota IV or WS as it's a full synthetic.

When I compare prices. If price does tell anything other than marketing.

Mobil One is top shelf.
Mobil, is on second shelf.
Toyota (made by Exxonmobil) third shelf down, of the three. But still very high quality.

Consider also Toyota mark-ups. Cost difference would put Mobil One in a super category, over Toyota.
Interesting. I just realized there is the Mobil MV ATF (blue bottle, red cap) and Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (grey bottle). Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is what I ordered earlier today. Should I cancel the order and order the Mobil MV ATF? On the product pages linked, it shows MV works with toyota type D-III, is that different than the GM DEXRON IIIH mentioned in the Mobil 1 Synethic ATF product page? Am I just overthinking this or do you think it matters?

I just did the flush on my 02 yesterday with the Valvoline Max Life - $17.95 per Gal / Amazon. I flushed and refilled with roughly 17 quarts.
I have also used this over and over again on my 02 4runner (301K). never an issue.
Ddi you drain all ~4.5 gallons at once? Or did you flush and fill over time? I thought I read on mud somewhere that opening the drain plug typically allows 4-6 quarts to come out, then you can fill that amount, run the truck to let it cycle for 1K miles, then flush another 4-6 quarts out and fill again... I guess to slowly clean out all used fluid out of all trans components. Maybe I read something wrong but just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom