CV Axles: Reboot or Replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new to me truck has 245k on it with unknown history for the CV's. A few boots are leaking, should I just go ahead and spend the money to replace them for peace of mind/longevity? Or will the axles run for a lot longer if I reboot? Is there an approximate mileage the axles last for or need to be replaced by?

I think the axles are good for the life of the vehicle. Mine has 220k and it started leaking. I have opted for reboot. And if you're planning to get new axles. Only get OEM, aftermarket are known to last 1-2 years at most. And OEM axles is about $500 each.

I think the axles are good for the life of the vehicle. Mine has 220k and it started leaking. I have opted for reboot. And if you're planning to get new axles. Only get OEM, aftermarket are known to last 1-2 years at most. And OEM axles is about $500 each.
Oh wow, yeah that's a lot, reboot it is. Thanks!!

I think the axles are good for the life of the vehicle.
Not true.

Oh wow, yeah that's a lot, reboot it is. Thanks!!
Check condition of the outboard splines. If they’re worn then the axle needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Also need to check if you have OEM or aftermarket axles - rebooting an aftermarket axle is not worth the time or effort.

"Most" front drive shaft (AKA CV) at 250K miles aren't worth rebooting. Exception are out there. Those are ones wheel bearings service, was by the book.

Inspection is the key.

3 main points:
  1. Snap ring groove
  2. Axle (outer) splines
  3. CV's

Also keeping mind:
The cost of FDS just keep going up.
One day we may not be able to get new OEM FDS.

Additionally:
If rig lifted or going to be. Old FDS tend to start clicking, within ~20K miles. Plan for with new FDS.

Now if budget tight:
Grade each of the 3 main keys. If each a 7 out of 10 or above. Cost is near nothing DIY reboot. Than rebooting makes sense. They'll last long enough for most, in a daily driver.

"Most" front drive shaft (AKA CV) at 250K miles aren't worth rebooting. Exception are out there. Those are ones wheel bearings service, was by the book.

Inspection is the key.

3 main points:
  1. Snap ring groove
  2. Axle (outer) splines
  3. CV's

Also keeping mind:
The cost of FDS just keep going up.
One day we may not be able to get new OEM FDS.

Additionally:
If rig lifted or going to be. Old FDS tend to start clicking, within ~20K miles. Plan for with new FDS.

Now if budget tight:
Grade each of the 3 main keys. If each a 7 out of 10 or above. Cost is near nothing DIY reboot. Than rebooting makes sense. They'll last long enough for most, in a daily driver.
Thanks for the detailed info. I do plan to lift in the next couple months, I bought this truck for off road/overlanding.

Thanks for the detailed info. I do plan to lift in the next couple months, I bought this truck for off road/overlanding.
Then don’t waste your time rebooting your old CVs. Buy new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom