Best ways to paint an fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone used Eastwood primer before? I’m also considering paining my rig myself and was going to buy their epoxy primer. I used their internal frame spray paint and their rust encapsulator and was very pleased with them.

Have any recommendations for a good primer?

I think (It's whatever the shop I work at uses) I used PPG DP90LF epoxy primer. Its ~$600 a gallon mixed, but it damn near indistructible. I shoot it on bare metal, DA'd to 80 grit. Throughly degrease the panels, don't skimp on prep. Prep really sucks, but it is the difference between the paint sticking and not.

I shot PPG Delfleet for my exterior since I could get it at cost, and it is a super durable paint. If you have never shot before, I'd recomend PPG Deltron, as it lays down a lot nicer due to the lower solid content. Still a very good paint, just not quite as durable.

Last edited:
Have any recommendations for a good primer?
2K epoxy. Urethane paint after that. Works great and easy to paint yourself. This is sanded down only with 120 grit paper.
8FB797FD-D8D0-4430-8DF0-A813752B5279.jpeg

Has anyone used Eastwood primer before? I’m also considering paining my rig myself and was going to buy their epoxy primer. I used their internal frame spray paint and their rust encapsulator and was very pleased with them.
I have used their epoxy primer and it is quality. The others on here are also highly recommended. Eastwood has been in this business for a long time and have many happy customers.

I have used their epoxy primer and it is quality. The others on here are also highly recommended. Eastwood has been in this business for a long time and have many happy customers.
Thanks, I tried looking for the other recommended primers but couldn’t find any sources that I know of. Is there a recommended place to buy these from online? There is a Sherwin Williams auto paint store near me. I heard they carry Eastwood products too but wasn’t sure.

I am currently using monstaliner on my 40. I like the fact that is is a rubberized epoxy paint similar to rhinolining but the texture is better. It is more of an orange peel texture but for my first time i will say that it has the 50/50 rule. where it looks good from 50 feet away or at 50 miles per hour. the down side is you have to use all of the paint fast or you will end up with a big rubber booger.

I would go to your nearest Automotive paint supplier and ask them what they recommend. Either Finishmasters, Sherwin Williams auto paint, or PPG auto paint stores. Each of those stores will have their own lines of 2k epoxy and single stage/ 2 stage paints. They should have a couple tiers depending on what your budget is.

I painted my FJ40 in my garage and used Nason single stage paint, provided by finishmasters. I chose single stage because I didn't want to risk spraying the vehicle twice and having to sand out drips and mess up the paint. Spray once and your done compared to spraying the main coat then clear coat.

Just know you will spend $1000 plus for primer, paint, sand paper, prep-sol, etc. You also need a spray gun, air compressor large enough to spray, Take your time, read up on it, and do things the right way. Prep takes a ton of time but it's worth it. Also, follow the instructions to the T. If you paint in too cold or too hot weather, the paint will not adhere right. If you wait too long between coats, the paint will not adhere right. If you don't sand or prep correctly, the paint will not adhere right.

I would go to your nearest Automotive paint supplier and ask them what they recommend. Either Finishmasters, Sherwin Williams auto paint, or PPG auto paint stores. Each of those stores will have their own lines of 2k epoxy and single stage/ 2 stage paints. They should have a couple tiers depending on what your budget is.

I painted my FJ40 in my garage and used Nason single stage paint, provided by finishmasters. I chose single stage because I didn't want to risk spraying the vehicle twice and having to sand out drips and mess up the paint. Spray once and your done compared to spraying the main coat then clear coat.

Just know you will spend $1000 plus for primer, paint, sand paper, prep-sol, etc. You also need a spray gun, air compressor large enough to spray, Take your time, read up on it, and do things the right way. Prep takes a ton of time but it's worth it. Also, follow the instructions to the T. If you paint in too cold or too hot weather, the paint will not adhere right. If you wait too long between coats, the paint will not adhere right. If you don't sand or prep correctly, the paint will not adhere right.
^^^^THIS^^^^^

I know nothing about painting and had 2 projects to do. I got a little guidance from a friend for the 1st project along with help from the guys at our local PPG auto paint store. I used the PPG Omni system 2 stage for the 1st project and single stage for my 2nd project, FJ40 dog house. Be sure to get the data instructions and follow them. Fro the 2nd project, I purchased epoxy primer. 2k sand able primer and color. The store offered guidance and if I had any questions or problems to be sure to call them. The paint store threw in mixing cups, filter funnels and stir sticks. They want you to be successful with your project. I purchased a couple of paint guns from H/F did a lot of research and video watching on gun setup and painting techniques

Last edited:
Thanks all, and thanks @Jackson Hanes for starting the thread.

I’ve sandblasted my frame prior to painting and I’m really glad I did. For the tub and other panel pieces however I am concerned with the metal being much thinner than frame and the risk of damaging them. I asked my sandblasting guy and he said he could use less aggressive mediums and that it shouldn’t be a problem. Has anyone here sandblasted the body prior to painting? It could save a ton of prep work for me.

Thanks all, and thanks @Jackson Hanes for starting the thread.

I’ve sandblasted my frame prior to painting and I’m really glad I did. For the tub and other panel pieces however I am concerned with the metal being much thinner than frame and the risk of damaging them. I asked my sandblasting guy and he said he could use less aggressive mediums and that it shouldn’t be a problem. Has anyone here sandblasted the body prior to painting? It could save a ton of prep work for me.
I used aircraft paint remover. Brush it on. Let it sit then wipe it off. Use a wire wheel for the creases

I used TCPGlobal epoxy primer and urethane enamel on my 71 and was very happy with it. I was going to go with Tamco but they couldn’t mix the spring green color. I’ve heard great things about SPI and Tamco. I know people who have used Eastwood paint system and are pleased as well. I’ve used nason a few times in the past on other projects with good results. I would’ve used it on the 71 but my local supplier has gone downhill in recent years.
I feel the biggest factors are following the data sheets exactly and using the same brand or system start to finish. So don’t buy Eastwood primer, then use local nason paint, etc.

I used aircraft paint remover. Brush it on. Let it sit then wipe it off. Use a wire wheel for the creases
I’ve used that before also and it works well, it’s not the best smelling product though. My concern is getting to all the hard-to-reach areas, sandblasting did a fantastic job doing that with the frame.

I’ve used that before also and it works well, it’s not the best smelling product though. My concern is getting to all the hard-to-reach areas, sandblasting did a fantastic job doing that with the frame.
For sure. It also sucks to get on your skin.

I'd say the '40 is the perfect vehicle to get familiar with auto refinishing. It can be done piece-meal and you can take your time. Most other vehicles have to be shot all at once and it's work with hose management, being able to reach the center of the roof, laying it all down before it hardens in your cup, etc. $1000 for materials? Been a while since I painted my last car. I know prices have gone up, but wow.

+1 for a single stage paint, if you're not interested in it looking shiny and expensive. I hired a guy to do the body work and paint for me because I didn't have the time, space or the skill for that step. He stripped it down and welded new metal in a few small rust spots. Primed then sprayed on a Nason single-stage paint. I've since used the same paint with a Harbor Freight HVLP gun to do the bumpers and a few odds and ends. It's pretty darn easy to apply and seems to match how I'd imagine it looked back in the day.

I have sandblasted every piece of my 40. I recently sandblasted the entire tub and had it galvanized to stop the rust.
How much it warped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom