What have you been doing with your Toyota? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Just represent’in. Wife picked these up for me for my birthday :). Thanks to the Board Member that took time out to deliver!

2333B60D-EFAC-4F15-B886-CA9EE9755D3E.jpeg

Got a house in the spring from 1916. Foundation is good. But center of the house was sagging a bit. Understandably since it’s so old. So it’s always good to have a dozen or more land cruiser jacks around. Leveled both sides of the house.
Working on a new front fence. No Toyota parts yet. But as my other places there will be cruiser parts put to work when it’s done.
BCBA061E-C8E9-45AC-B881-0635C3F3D025.jpeg
51FC70C9-9517-486E-B21D-56E74A24FB02.jpeg
FD32E34E-B6A6-4888-9F6D-E38F530DA08E.jpeg

So, on the Taco, just finished install of new coils and one rebuilt shock...I played the risky game of mix and match aftermarket components and lost. The pig tail end on the OME 885 coil didn't sit right on Falcon Shock. For some reason it was worse on the driver side, and the moment it created forced the coil to rub on the shock body. Falcon was pretty painless to work with (I just had to pay for it). Technically, they only approve fit with stock coils, but that is not any fun. I went with Eibach based on someone else's input with the same setup otherwise. So I will still pay close attention to what happens from here.
1637200822724.jpeg

I finally finished the clutch swap I started last winter in the pickup. I've had the new clutch master cylinder under my bench, but I just ran out of gas last winter. So this morning l finally finished the job. It's nice to have a pedal that I don't have to lift up with my toe anymore.

Not Yota, but I bought this camper, stuck it in the garage, and started gutting it to make it livable. Water damage is a lot worse than initially thought.

PS - Anyone know how to wire a solar panel? I want to either put one on now budget permitting or set everything up for the future but I don’t know squat about it.

7CE815F2-38B2-4509-A711-BB2B4DC73AED.jpeg

A4E3B30B-8BF0-409C-8FCE-CCE4035846C3.jpeg

0A96EA55-0021-4A8C-8B1B-168D1657247E.jpeg

PM = P of M
I've had a stash of PM parts for my 80 hanging around my shop for a while and finally took the plunge this weekend. I replaced all the rad hoses, the PHH, thermostat, and all three belts, and all of the sway bar bushings. I learned a lot about my truck and especially that the PHH is wrongly named. Pesky is when you you have flies buzzing around your head, but P ought to stand for PITA. The PHH had a slight bulge in it and was not nearly as thick as its replacement. Hopefully that is a job I will never have to perform on this truck again.
Also, it was reassuring to have visible evidence of the interior of my cooing system and I was happy with what I saw. With the work behind me, I now have scarred arms and peace of mind not having to think about 26 year old parts that may possibly fail. All in all I think I invested about seven hours and ~$150 into the work but the payoff is priceless.

IMG_3735.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg
IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3764.jpeg
IMG_3748.jpeg
IMG_3749.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg
IMG_3784.jpeg

Last edited:
Not Yota, but I bought this camper, stuck it in the garage, and started gutting it to make it livable. Water damage is a lot worse than initially thought.

PS - Anyone know how to wire a solar panel? I want to either put one on now budget permitting or set everything up for the future but I don’t know squat about it.

View attachment 2851600

View attachment 2851601

View attachment 2851602
I highly recommend Renogy flexible solar panel 175W for the roof. Works great.
I use it with a 100 amp hour AGM battery.
Amazon product ASIN B082FCZ4MD
Solar.jpg

W Boulder Camper from Top.jpg

Beartooth Camper.jpg

Last edited:
Had the tires off the pickup to rotate them the other day and noticed that one of the calipers had seized up and would be wearing through the pad in short order. I also noticed a little wandering and found that my outer tie rod ends were pretty much shot. I ordered some parts from Rock Auto and got started last night with the brakes. Should have ordered 2 calipers because I found another seized piston. Found one in stock locally but at nearly twice what I'd paid at Rock Auto. Then I broke both of the hard brake lines between the rubber line and the caliper. So I got some practice making new lines. The reservoir leaked out onto my garage floor between parts runs, so I had to get some additional fluid and bleed everything real well. Including 3 trips to the parts store and a broken punch, it ended up being a 4 hour brake job.

This afternoon I replaced the old outer tie rod ends. I'd expected them to fight me, but it went really easy. Start to finish, with a rough tape measure alignment, was maybe an hour and a half.

Then I spent 3 hours trying to get the parking brake, which has been broken the entire time I've owned the truck, functional again. I did not win this fight. Apparently the truck just doesn't want to have a functional parking brake.

I did an oil change on Monday and am looking into snow tires after driving the KO2s on ice! 4WD drifts are fun, but not in town. Oh, and the real reason we have kids.... To build future enthusiasts of course....

IMG_0254.jpeg

1999 100 series (235k miles) radiator replacement, with full petcock drain-If you've never done this before, I'm happy to help you locate and work through it. Got a new Toyota radiator. This came with the foam already attached and a new cap. Also, found the holy grail (according to Darren) of non-Toyota antifreeze. While I was in there, replaced the heater hose T's and the junk after market Import Direct fan clutch with an Aisin. You can just see the difference in quality and hear the difference in the sound coming from under the hood. The Aisin is serviceable while the ID is a "sealed" system. I use the term sealed loosely...it was leaking all over the place. After installing a new fan shroud, I put it all back togther. I was warned that there could be some seeping on the old heater hose, which there was. After adjusting the constant tension clamps,,,BOOM! No more leaks! These clamps are a pain to remove and adjust. They build them in the factory with all of the grip points pointed down or away from your side of the engine (had to work on both sides and up over the top). Felt like I was auditioning for Cirque du Soleil's newest show as I contorted my body to gain access. Silicone hoses are probably in my future, but decided to hold off on this for the time being. Toyota wanted $170 for the heater hose kit alone, which is literally a few feet of 5/8th and 1/2" heater hose...ridiculous! Bought some back up hoses at NAPA for about $5. As a side note, one of the hose T's just broke apart in my hands as I was attempting to pull the hoses. This is common from all of my research. Couldn't get the hoses off without cutting them and didn't want to risk breaking a fitting, so carefully worked the plastic out of the hoses so as to not introduce into the system. Went with the Toyota T's, but probably should've sprang for the stainless steel. Maybe next time when I win the lottery.

Side projects recently included ARB slider install, Transmission fluid drain (partial) and Transfer Case oil change with AT-205 additive (it was leaking a little before so fingers crossed), Power Steering flush, and home jobber diff breather reroute. ARB wants $75+ for the breather kit. Think I did mine for about $20. Stuck with the factory line size of 6MM while the ARB kit supersizes to 8MM ID. I kept the original breather valves and gave them a thorough cleaning before reinstalling. Soon will add the snorkel.

Currently trying to pinpoint some rough idling after the engine is hot and that annoying chirp sound on the rear suspension. Thinking it's a few bad bushings in the rear control arms?
UPDATE: Installed new ARB Bull Bar Bumper with US Made Warn Winch and ARB fog lights. I highly recommend the ARB fogs and think they were well worth the money! Also, installed older gen ARB roof rack with modified rail system. It's the full size rack that spans the entire top portion of the rig. Don't know if all of that will ever get used, but its there if needed and looks pretty cool IMHO. Have thought about sleeping up there, which could be cool. The rack has an awning and a supplemental water system, which have not been utilized yet. A rear SLEE bumper with swing-outs was installed.

After spending $50 on fuses and literally tearing every electrical component apart, finally figured out that my electrical whoas were originating from the "new" brake pedal switch. The lesson learned is never EVER EVER put in any electrical components that are not Denso. Also, you have to massage those old rusty bolts out of the frame...massage them. Working on replacing the ignition coils that are non-Denso as well. Next projects include install of front side bars, off road lighting, and dual battery system. Eventually, we will get to the snorkel.

Got to put the winch to use for the first time on Blue Lake late summer and it performed perfectly. The sliders were also tested on that trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom