Builds 1997 FZJ80 to HDJ80 1HD-FTE + H152F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So just like some of you, I grew up playing those games too and buying the magazines, I think I had a subscription at one point in my teenage years. We used to go buy the newest games at ToysRUs, take them home and play them all weekend, finish the game and return it for another one. šŸ˜‚ I was like 12 or 13. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

I stopped playing console games in the early 2000ā€™s though and started playing everything on my PC. A SEGA Dreamcast was the last console I had. I used to play A LOT of Team Fortress in the early 2000ā€™s. Man that was fun. Damn medics running around spreading the plague! šŸ˜‚

I still play games, I would rather do that than watch TV. I donā€™t play them a lot these days though, guess I got old. I do really really enjoy the Shadow of War and Shadow of Mordor games though. Soooo much fun. I am not sure I have ever played any video games this fun.

Cheers
Ian,

Have you tried video games with the Oculus??

It's a different level. It immerses you into the environment entirely.

I used to do aircraft simulations in NASA 25 years ago, and we used computers for rendering that cost $15M. Today you have more power on an iPhone.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

--ofer

Ian,

Have you tried video games with the Oculus??

It's a different level. It immerses you into the environment entirely.

I used to do aircraft simulations in NASA 25 years ago, and we used computers for rendering that cost $15M. Today you have more power on an iPhone.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

--ofer
@ofer bruhis in my opinion video games are like Land Cruisersā€¦..the older the better. Tell me about that yellow 40 in your profile pic.

@ofer bruhis in my opinion video games are like Land Cruisersā€¦..the older the better. Tell me about that yellow 40 in your profile pic.
Hey John,

We have 3 40 series, one 60 series and one 80 series. In my opinion, the 80 series was designed at Toyota's finest hour. I love the 40, but it's hard to drive 1000 miles a day. Not that I have not done it... So older is good, but too old is fun for some purpose.

Dijon is a 79 BJ40 that was imported to the US in 1979 from Canada by a couple of Canadian Hippies that went to UC Berkeley. Their granddaughter drove it and blew the B engine. It was parked for 5 years by the ocean in Pacifica at the end of a hill, and a drunk driver smashed the front of it when not taking the turn on the road. I bought it 7 years ago for $1K and brought it to life. Found a 13Bt/H55 in Canada and installed it. Then after test driving did a frame off and now it is better then new. It's a 'play' car when the weather is nice. Here is an album of the build. $30K spent. I did most of the work.

Kermit is a 71 FJ40 that was given to my 16 year old daughter 15 years ago as a project car so she can do a frame off and "drive-what-you-build". It had a 2F engine for 15 years and we installed a 1HDT/H55 on it last year. We are done and it's going back to Flagstaff where she lives. Here is an album of the build. Body is from a 75, side rear window panels from a 79, roof and doors from a 78, front axle from a 76.

The 60 has a 13Bt/H55 that Georg in ValleyHybrid installed 13 years ago. We are very good friends. The 60 series is our prostitute. Everyone can take it and do whatever they wish, from trips to Home Depot or going o Burning Man. It has 500K miles and has been to the arctic circle with our 4 kids in 1994. It drives better then new.

Our 80 series we had sine 1998. Overland Bound posted a video on it, and I wrote a very long blog on the build. It is by far my favorite rig. It was our family car since 1998 (soccer, trips, etc.) and I hated it. Tried to sell it ($3K) when no one wanted to drive it anymore, and no one called. This was 7 years ago. I decided to spend $50k, and make it an expedition vehicle. We put 60K miles on it in the last 2.5 years including a drive to AK and back and a cross country to the east coast. Now people everywhere want to buy it. My price is $50K for the parts and $300K for my time. I think it is worth much more then a McLaren that cost $350K.

The last 40 series belongs to my son and we did a frame off when he was in high school. He is 37. The car is under cover and not driven much. 2F engine. The only gas LC we have now.

I have to admit, that paint is free for me. Liquid or powder. I have a friend, that I helped him start a paint shop business, and now I can show up with the color chart, and it's done.

And last week I bought an 1988 HJ75. It's a piece of junk, but I'll make it the nicest troopy in North America. šŸ˜Š Maybe not nice as yours...

Cheers mate

Happy Holidays

--ofer

Hey John,

We have 3 40 series, one 60 series and one 80 series. In my opinion, the 80 series was designed at Toyota's finest hour. I love the 40, but it's hard to drive 1000 miles a day. Not that I have not done it... So older is good, but too old is fun for some purpose.

Dijon is a 79 BJ40 that was imported to the US in 1979 from Canada by a couple of Canadian Hippies that went to UC Berkeley. Their granddaughter drove it and blew the B engine. It was parked for 5 years by the ocean in Pacifica at the end of a hill, and a drunk driver smashed the front of it when not taking the turn on the road. I bought it 7 years ago for $1K and brought it to life. Found a 13Bt/H55 in Canada and installed it. Then after test driving did a frame off and now it is better then new. It's a 'play' car when the weather is nice. Here is an album of the build. $30K spent. I did most of the work.

Kermit is a 71 FJ40 that was given to my 16 year old daughter 15 years ago as a project car so she can do a frame off and "drive-what-you-build". It had a 2F engine for 15 years and we installed a 1HDT/H55 on it last year. We are done and it's going back to Flagstaff where she lives. Here is an album of the build. Body is from a 75, side rear window panels from a 79, roof and doors from a 78, front axle from a 76.

The 60 has a 13Bt/H55 that Georg in ValleyHybrid installed 13 years ago. We are very good friends. The 60 series is our prostitute. Everyone can take it and do whatever they wish, from trips to Home Depot or going o Burning Man. It has 500K miles and has been to the arctic circle with our 4 kids in 1994. It drives better then new.

Our 80 series we had sine 1998. Overland Bound posted a video on it, and I wrote a very long blog on the build. It is by far my favorite rig. It was our family car since 1998 (soccer, trips, etc.) and I hated it. Tried to sell it ($3K) when no one wanted to drive it anymore, and no one called. This was 7 years ago. I decided to spend $50k, and make it an expedition vehicle. We put 60K miles on it in the last 2.5 years including a drive to AK and back and a cross country to the east coast. Now people everywhere want to buy it. My price is $50K for the parts and $300K for my time. I think it is worth much more then a McLaren that cost $350K.

The last 40 series belongs to my son and we did a frame off when he was in high school. He is 37. The car is under cover and not driven much. 2F engine. The only gas LC we have now.

I have to admit, that paint is free for me. Liquid or powder. I have a friend, that I helped him start a paint shop business, and now I can show up with the color chart, and it's done.

And last week I bought an 1988 HJ75. It's a piece of junk, but I'll make it the nicest troopy in North America. šŸ˜Š Maybe not nice as yours...

Cheers mate

Happy Holidays

--ofer
Ha. I have not owned a Troopy in a while and no desire to own another in the future. Iā€™m definitely a sucker for a good 40 or 45 though. Those are some great trucks for sure and some good memories with your kids.

@wngrog and I are working up some plans for this red 45 Iā€™ve had a little while. @FJ60Cam is putting together a fun little engine and @orangefj45 sold me a new H55 and split case. Itā€™s a little too nice for my taste but Nolen wonā€™t let me sell it.

4ADD6C5B-98EA-4DDF-81D1-176204B849C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Ha. I have not owned a Troopy in a while and no desire to own another in the future. Iā€™m definitely a sucker for a good 40 or 45 though. Those are some great trucks for sure and some good memories with your kids.

@wngrog and I are working up some plans for this red 45 Iā€™ve had a little while. @FJ60Cam is putting together a fun little engine and @orangefj45 is putting together a new H55 and split case. Itā€™s a little too nice for my taste but Nolen wonā€™t let me sell it.

View attachment 2850210

This thread. Someone make it stop

1560712639176.jpg

Last edited:

@wngrog and I are working up some plans for this red 45 Iā€™ve had a little while. @FJ60Cam is putting together a fun little engine and @orangefj45 sold me a new H55 and split case. Itā€™s a little too nice for my taste but Nolen wonā€™t let me sell it.

View attachment 2850210
Now that's my kind of patina.

View attachment 2850210
John, What drivetrain you have in it?

@ofer bruhis today it has a 2F and a 4 speed. @FJ60Cam is building one of his mashups for this truck. Will put H55 and split case behind it. Will be fun to see how it compares to the 1FZ thatā€™s in my other 45.
We just installed a 1HDT/H55 on Kermit. It is a rocket. So much fun to drive. I struggled inserting a custom intercooler piping. Not much room in the front for the radiator. But at the end it fit after moving some stuff. Still need to tidy the electrical a bit
C5B65D7A-D9E9-4119-AD73-16DD32CCC922.jpeg
9AED5968-DAA1-4F1E-B926-C68A039B175B.jpeg

We just installed a 1HDT/H55 on Kermit. It is a rocket. So much fun to drive. I struggled inserting a custom intercooler piping. Not much room in the front for the radiator. But at the end it fit after moving some stuff. Still need to tidy the electrical a bit View attachment 2850633View attachment 2850634

Ofer: do you design and build your own power plants? It seems like you doā€¦. :cheers: Great work.

Ofer: do you design and build your own power plants? It seems like you doā€¦. :cheers: Great work.
Thanks. Design? Oh no. Just wing it when I build it. I have a bunch of friends with diesel LC, that inspire me. @orangefj45 Georg, is a very good friend, and provides tech support. Also @gifu Brian Sullivan provides me great support and I followed the 80 build of @Rock40 when did the FT conversion. I think this is a great inspiring community. At the end all you need is a welder and a grinder. šŸ˜‚

Great work as always Ofer! Look forward to seeing you and ā€œnew and improvedā€ Kermit soon!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America
Cheers mate!!! We need to start the electric EJ40.

By the way John, when I bought the yellow(blue) 40 series, it came with thisā€¦ I did not know that Toyota issued a ā€˜credit cardā€™ with the VIN. The address of the owner is Albany, CA but I know the car was imported from Canada. I donā€™t think the ownerā€™s manual was ever opened. It includes both 2F and B engines.

AEB8E367-9DBE-4291-813D-9BEA62DEE1B1.jpeg
AC09F67F-BE05-4B63-AB2A-ED13B14F784A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom