Snow Tire Debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, okay - a lame topic - but Snow Tires.

I have BFG KO2s on my FJ62 and although they are awesome tires, they are not snow tires.

Sure, they have the three peak certification - but siping is pretty meh.

I am running 285/75/R17 on FJ Cruiser rims with spacers. I’d like to keep the tire height if possible.

Blizzaks only go up to 265 (about 31.5” or so). Tire Rama mentioned the Cooper Snow Claw as an option. They come pre-drilled for Studs.

Thoughts on good snow tires that fit 17” rims And are around 33-34” in height?

Okay, okay - a lame topic - but Snow Tires.

I have BFG KO2s on my FJ62 and although they are awesome tires, they are not snow tires.

Sure, they have the three peak certification - but siping is pretty meh.

I am running 285/75/R17 on FJ Cruiser rims with spacers. I’d like to keep the tire height if possible.

Blizzaks only go up to 265 (about 31.5” or so). Tire Rama mentioned the Cooper Snow Claw as an option. They come pre-drilled for Studs.

Thoughts on good snow tires that fit 17” rims And are around 33-34” in height?
No experience with any of the above but...

Some studded Goodyear duratracs may be an alternative. I have had 8 (non studded) duratracs on the 80 (4 sidewall failures off-road). I have zero confidence in them as an off-road tire at this point but they were great in the snow/ice and the studded ones I'm sure are better and they have the sizing you want.

My wife had Cooper winters on her Outback and they were unstoppable.....unless you wanted to stop. They were a surprisingly capable choice. Can't speak to the sizing though.

Some studded Goodyear duratracs may be an alternative. I have had 8 (non studded) duratracs on the 80 (4 sidewall failures off-road). I have zero confidence in them as an off-road tire at this point but they were great in the snow/ice and the studded ones I'm sure are better and they have the sizing you want.
Hadn’t really considered the Duratracs. I guess in the best of all worlds, I could go snow wheeling in these tires (on the weekends) and use them for driving around town during the week. How do they handle when you air down? It sounds like the sidewalls might not be the best… but sounds like an interesting option.

My wife had Cooper winters on her Outback and they were unstoppable.....unless you wanted to stop. They were a surprisingly capable choice. Can't speak to the sizing though.
Thanks @CCRider ! I thought about getting them studded, since I am outside of town and the country roads can be pretty sketch after a cold night and some snow.

I figure worse thing (other than an accident) is that I don’t like them and I can $hit talk Cooper forever.

Hadn’t really considered the Duratracs. I guess in the best of all worlds, I could go snow wheeling in these tires (on the weekends) and use them for driving around town during the week. How do they handle when you air down? It sounds like the sidewalls might not be the best… but sounds like an interesting option.
If you Google duratrac sidewall issues you'll come up with a bunch of stuff about the issues they have. The sidewalls are not the best. If you do decide to get a set keep a tire repair kit on hand and know how to use it and how to reseat a bead, if you want a lesson let me know. They do fine aired down, I've had them on the truck for all sorts of terrain over 60k miles and they were great until they popped... Rubicon, Utah, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and died at the most random things (except one was truly my fault, 30+ mph on 2 track taking in Utah's beauty when I hit a rock oops). When loading the sidewall it turns into a gamble which when snow wheeling you usually aren't in the rocks but you can't see what's underneath. It's a toss up. Wouldn't hesitate to run a studded set on my wife's 80 but don't know if I'd put them on my 80 since it sees dirt a lot. For the snow wheeling here they'd likely do you well. I got mine through discount tire (don't have them here) and I had bought the replacement certificates on them so it was like $20 for a brand new replacement. Not sure if anyone local does something like that

I also have zero confidence with them after the pavement ends. I was very happy with them in snow (on the road) but had a random stick go through the sidewall about 25 miles from anywhere. Couple that with the fact that the key for my locking lugs snapped, it was a long day. Never again --> Duratracs & locking lugs

IMG_5798.JPG

since you were looking a blizzaks check out nokians. i put some toyo at3's on my 84 last fall and have been happy. sam just put a set on his pu and is happy with how they handle the ice and slush. we've always had great luck with the cooper st maxx's. interwest is the place to check

I ran Duratrac's for a few Colorado winters... they were awesome in the snow (un-siped) like confidence inspiring. I read the reviews on the sidewalls but mine held up to wheeling in Colorado. I went to BFG KO2's and I have never looked back.

I would get a set of studded Duratrac's for the winter and run your KO2's in the Spring/Summer months. Studded Duratrac's would be about as good as a dedicated snow tire if you need the taller size. You already know the better the snow tire the more limited the sizes unless you drive a Subaru or Audi.

I also have zero confidence with them after the pavement ends. I was very happy with them in snow (on the road) but had a random stick go through the sidewall about 25 miles from anywhere. Couple that with the fact that the key for my locking lugs snapped, it was a long day. Never again --> Duratracs & locking lugs

View attachment 2848814

Curse of the J#&P!

First, Thanks to everyone for all the awesome feedback and experience. It was a tough decision, but I am know there are pros and cons to everything.

Well, I decided to go with the Nokian studded LT tires.

They are not cheap -$312 each, but with Black Friday it’s Buy 3, Get 1 Tire Free. So it evens out. I was looking at getting these last year, but I had another set of snow tires on hand.

Bought them at Interwest and they’ll be installed in a week.

Will let you all know how they turn out.

2B4333D6-66D3-492D-8435-B8253A9E8FA3.png

First, Thanks to everyone for all the awesome feedback and experience. It was a tough decision, but I am know there are pros and cons to everything.

Well, I decided to go with the Nokian studded LT tires.

They are not cheap -$312 each, but with Black Friday it’s Buy 3, Get 1 Tire Free. So it evens out. I was looking at getting these last year, but I had another set of snow tires on hand.

Bought them at Interwest and they’ll be installed in a week.

Will let you all know how they turn out.

View attachment 2849020
Let us know how you like them. Polly definitely needs a better snow tire on her 80

I don't think you'll be disappointed in nokians. Glad you found them in the right size. We run nokian hakks on my wife's Honda pilot. They are the best! I remember a trip to the Midwest during a storm and there were multiple vehicles in the ditches. I couldn't even tell there was snow on the road. The nokians made it seem like dry road.
I don't run a dedicated snow tire on the 80 for the same reasons mentioned, Possible wheeling etc. I'm running toyo open country mt's. I had them siped and I think they handle the snow better than the Cooper st Maxx I had on before.

Timely discussion. Lots of great feedback and experience. I'm waiting until next season to get snow tires. Please keep us posted on the Nokian's. Thanks!

Last winter I ran my Wildpeak AT3 33” on my 99’ Hundo. No problems and they worked great (for everything). This year, the FJ62 is out of the shop and with the power and investment in the LS3 swap, it seemed like snow tires are going to be a great investment.

I’ve never run with studded before and it seems like a small price to protect myself, the family and others on the road. Off-road, well that’s the big open question. I have no idea how well the sidewall is protected or how they will handle some snow wheeling.

Live and learn.

Updates to follow!

Last winter I ran my Wildpeak AT3 33” on my 99’ Hundo. No problems and they worked great (for everything). This year, the FJ62 is out of the shop and with the power and investment in the LS3 swap, it seemed like snow tires are going to be a great investment.

I’ve never run with studded before and it seems like a small price to protect myself, the family and others on the road. Off-road, well that’s the big open question. I have no idea how well the sidewall is protected or how they will handle some snow wheeling.

Live and learn.

Updates to follow!
I will second the wildpeak at3w's as a great tire. Have them in 35's on the 80. They've done amazing in every condition I've thrown at them. Lots of icy winter Wyoming, been great around here, fantastic in Utah.

Alright, so after 24 hours I am very confident that these are the BEST snow tires I've ever had.

The Nokian LT3 Studded will keep you on the road. I've been cruising up tp 50 mph on South 19th (which is compacted ice/snow) and feel super comfortable and confident that at least on the road these will work for me. Its TBD about how they will perform offroad or aired down - but I guess we will find that out this weekend.

They also have a pretty aggressive design - so if "tough" looking tires and performance is important to you along with safety, these might be a good fit.
IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

32BEF93F-AFCB-47AF-9B29-64441CB7814C.jpg

Looking good, I'm excited for your longer term review. Snow tires on rs. Rezarf's car have been hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom