Valve cover vent/port opening after Weber install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all
Wondering if someone could lend some guidance. Took off stock carb/cleaner in favor of Weber. What do i do with the valve cover port/opening on my 79 FJ. Do i buy an aftermarket breather for it or do something else. Notice a plugged port under Weber. Does it feed there?? Thank u much

97F47EC7-81A4-4E71-894C-367DA95EDF27.jpeg

18B86CCB-87B2-4851-8480-78AC3BC309EA.jpeg

My 1972 had a Weber installed by PO. The valve cover vent has a KN breather and the fitting under the air filter is connected to the PVC valve on the side cover plate. I'll be interested to hear from others on this.

Forgot to add. I’m getting gassed out by exhaust fumes in cab. Second question will air breather attached to valve cover port solve this or will i still have same issue. Do i connect valve cover port to that plugged port under carb? Don’t want to create performance issues. Thank you Frank

A hose from the valve cover port to that Weber filter port would be correct. It just let’s the air be filtered that gets drawn in by the PCV system.

On worn engines with poor rings you can have more blow by than the PCV system can handle so dirty blow by can exit that valve cover port and be drawn in through the carb. In that circumstance a stand-alone filter/breather would keep the crude out of the carb. But not solve your fume problem if that's where they're coming from.
I'd try to nail down just where the fumes are coming from. Try hooking it up they proper way and see if it stops the fumes.

Thank you for your reply. Motor is more on the tired side. Would i be doing more harm connecting to carb? Can i rig longer hose with breather further away from cab to reduce fumes?

Thank you for your reply. Motor is more on the tired side. Would i be doing more harm connecting to carb? Can i rig longer hose with breather further away from cab to reduce fumes?
I'd try to nail down just where the fumes are coming from. Try hooking it up they proper way and see if it stops the fumes.
Are the fumes coming out of that valve cover vent? (when running) Could you have an exhaust leak? At the manifold or the connection at the bottom of it?

Are the fumes coming out of that valve cover vent? (when running) Could you have an exhaust leak? At the manifold or the connection at the bottom of it?
Don’t see a leak. Has a header so tough to distinguish sound. Read on another forum that another guy had similar issue attributed to that vent. Almost cold as hell season in PA and tried and true method for exhaust leak is to let run on one of those cold days. Can spot a leak a mile a way.

Forgot to add. I’m getting gassed out by exhaust fumes in cab. Second question will air breather attached to valve cover port solve this or will i still have same issue. Do i connect valve cover port to that plugged port under carb? Don’t want to create performance issues. Thank you Frank
its a weber thing

Attach the fitting under the filter to the valve cover, see the first photo red heater hose works well, second photo shows the fitting on the adaptor plate under the carb . That line goes to the PCV valve see first photo black hose. Fuel line works well for that. It will solve the smell. Hope that helps.

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

Attach the fitting under the filter to the valve cover, see the first photo red heater hose works well, second photo shows the fitting on the adaptor plate under the carb . That line goes to the PCV valve see first photo black hose. Fuel line works well for that. It will solve the smell. Hope that helps.

View attachment 2846431

View attachment 2846432
Got it. Thank you brother. Looks like we have same setup including header.

Webers are notorious for running rich and being finicky about fuel pressure. When I had one, I could never get it to run well for very long.

Went back to OEM. No more issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom