60 series off-road capability vs Toyota pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

Shake Hands with Danger
SILVER Star
Threads
I am currently balancing between a landcrusier that I just bought and a 93 Toyota pickup truck. Haven’t had much time to play with the landcruiser yet. So my question is, for those of you who have had a Toyota pickup, how did it compare off-road to your 60 series LC?

69DEA618-0AD0-4ED6-9F99-23B0EEB3FFEF.jpeg

They're different vehicles meant to do different things. I don't think they're really comparable. A 62 isn't great in really tight wooded trails, but a Toyota Pickup isn't going to be nearly as comfortable on higher speed fire roads or semi-groomed trails or going on longer off-road expeditions/trips.

I grew up wheeling with friends who had 1980's pickups and I had a 2000 Taco for a while, I feel my 60 is better off road in every way except the above mentioned narrow forest trails. The wider stance and heavier weight gives you more traction, though I could definitely see the weight working against you in the mud. In sand I haven't found the weight to be an issue, the Goat (as I call my 60) just laughs and chugs along.

Clark

I've owned both. The truck was definitely more nimble than my 60 series. It was a 93 reg cab 4Cyl so was not very powerful (kinda like my 60) but got me through whatever I needed it to. I am not sure one was 'better' off-road than the other. For the kind of trails I do, the truck I think would be overall a better choice because of its smaller stance. But gimme solid axles anytime for strength and durability. Would have to agree they are pretty different beasts. I tend to wheel on higher elevation trails so the FI of the truck made it a better choice over my '84 60 series in terms of wheeling. Not your situation however so that wouldn't matter for you. Really comes down to the type of wheeling you do generally. Both are fine choices and have their place so you really couldn't go wrong with either. I am just not sure there is one factor that would make me choose one over the other. Loved that little pickup:

Misc 7-23-2006 5-49-25 PM.jpg
Misc 7-4-2006 2-00-03 PM.jpg

The pickup is waaaay lighter. It blows the 60 away on soft sand on the beach or dunes.
Also the 4 cylinder engine can rev much higher which can be helpful in the dunes.
But if I had to only choose one, I’d choose the land cruiser every time.

I have a 1980 solid axle truck and they both do great. The pickup came with 4.35 R&P so it crawls better. It gets 2-3 mpg more and has better visibility picking a line in front. It has been more reliable than the 60 over all and I don't mind filling the bed up with heavy pinion pine or greasy engine parts. The LC can do a U-turn where the truck need a 3-point turn. The LC is better for longer trips and hauling family and dogs and is by far, more comfortable on and off road. The solid axle truck will climb rough stuff that the later A-arm trucks loose traction on. I am glad I have both and probably wouldn't have bought the 60 if it wasn't for indestructible and good nature of the pickup. But would have not got the pickup if it wasn't for my dad's '66 FJ40.

I grew up wheeling with friends who had 1980's pickups and I had a 2000 Taco for a while, I feel my 60 is better off road in every way except the above mentioned narrow forest trails. The wider stance and heavier weight gives you more traction, though I could definitely see the weight working against you in the mud. In sand I haven't found the weight to be an issue, the Goat (as I call my 60) just laughs and
I have a 1980 solid axle truck and they both do great. The pickup came with 4.35 R&P so it crawls better. It gets 2-3 mpg more and has better visibility picking a line in front. It has been more reliable than the 60 over all and I don't mind filling the bed up with heavy pinion pine or greasy engine parts. The LC can do a U-turn where the truck need a 3-point turn. The LC is better for longer trips and hauling family and dogs and is by far, more comfortable on and off road. The solid axle truck will climb rough stuff that the later A-arm trucks loose traction on. I am glad I have both and probably wouldn't have bought the 60 if it wasn't for indestructible and good nature of the pickup. But would have not got the pickup if it wasn't for my dad's '66 FJ40.
Not going to lie, having a solid axle pickup is pretty cool. Mines IFS so not nearly as capable as your truck. Overall I think my LC would be better given it has better weight displacement, solid axles, higher ground clearance, and shorter wheel base. But my pickup is very practical and surprisingly capable. Just was wondering how they would compare because my LC is in a shop and I just bought it.

Not going to lie, having a solid axle pickup is pretty cool. Mines IFS so not nearly as capable as your truck. Overall I think my LC would be better given it has better weight displacement, solid axles, higher ground clearance, and shorter wheel base. But my pickup is very practical and surprisingly capable. Just was wondering how they would compare because my LC is in a shop and I just bought it.
As an advocate for the devil and his memberships in MUD, maintain your pickup with love and enjoy it. However, the 60 series Land Cruiser will treat you best if you use her hard but gentle. She needs your most devoted love in exchange for the same. No other vehicle ever made can do all of those things like she does without insulting your earned sense of technique for the sparkle of technology.
Archaic as they are, they are the pinnacle of manual Land Cruisers. Your pickup is just a needed side bitch. 😁

As an advocate for the devil and his memberships in MUD, maintain your pickup with love and enjoy it. However, the 60 series Land Cruiser will treat you best if you use her hard but gentle. She needs your most devoted love in exchange for the same. No other vehicle ever made can do all of those things like she does without insulting your earned sense of technique for the sparkle of technology.
Archaic as they are, they are the pinnacle of manual Land Cruisers. Your pickup is just a needed side bitch. 😁
Only sad thing is I’m almost done high school and will need to sell one of them for post secondary money.😭

Tacos are everywhere. Not necessarily a dime a dozen, but they’re everywhere and getting an other one wouldn’t be difficult. 60s and 62s are much harder to come by in decent condition.

:deadhorse:…. They both do different jobs better than the other. There’s a reason Tacomas and Land Cruisers are still produced and hold their value.

I've owned both. The truck was definitely more nimble than my 60 series. It was a 93 reg cab 4Cyl so was not very powerful (kinda like my 60) but got me through whatever I needed it to. I am not sure one was 'better' off-road than the other. For the kind of trails I do, the truck I think would be overall a better choice because of its smaller stance. But gimme solid axles anytime for strength and durability. Would have to agree they are pretty different beasts. I tend to wheel on higher elevation trails so the FI of the truck made it a better choice over my '84 60 series in terms of wheeling. Not your situation however so that wouldn't matter for you. Really comes down to the type of wheeling you do generally. Both are fine choices and have their place so you really couldn't go wrong with either. I am just not sure there is one factor that would make me choose one over the other. Loved that little pickup:

View attachment 2844399View attachment 2844398
Looks pretty good, should have kept it!

9851A412-CABD-4C61-92D3-188DF1721CE5.jpeg

D8B1BC87-57D5-4949-AB72-2D188CFFC1EC.jpeg

You might possibly be able to drive the truck for four years of college without any maintenance issues other than a few oil changes. I don't think I could say the same about the 60/62's but you will likely "get lucky" more with the LC. 😄

You might possibly be able to drive the truck for four years of college without any maintenance issues other than a few oil changes. I don't think I could say the same about the 60/62's but you will likely "get lucky" more with the LC. 😄
I think he’s lucky enough to have a taco and cruiser to pick from…😏

Oh boy what did I get into with this….. what makes you say the LC will be more expensive than a pickup truck?

I sold my '93 R22RE truck a couple of years ago. As others have said, truck was very nimble & would get me through most everything, it is now enjoying it's life in Guatemala. I regret very much selling the truck but I do love driving my 5.3L Vortec powered 60 a lot more.

92 toy truck.jpg

92 truck.jpg

fj 60.jpg

fj60.jpg

My pickup since it was new has needed tires, batteries, carb rebuilds, shocks, and a water pump. I don't know any vehicle that has been that reliable. It is due for some new springs and a timing chain. Pretty cool for a 42 yr old truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom