Goose Gear Plate System - Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got my goose gear installed on Monday night, love it

74CDE828-0398-4B22-99B8-54E2AB0B38F7.jpeg

98F17082-27BE-4BD7-92D6-3B48F23B2FFD.jpeg

49217B58-E4F8-4D7C-A0CA-921ECD43BF69.jpeg

727639EE-854C-4AC1-805E-3ADED9A37E1A.jpeg

Yes, bed liner is my next step. Held up great on a prior project.
Are you going to DYI or take it somewhere to have it done?

Doing my own thing. Still needs paint and holes for mounting overland stuff.
Nice job on the custom fit. Are you planning on using more than just the 2 bolts to hold it down? Are you using the bolt locations for the factory tie downs or some other locations? IMHO, it should be held down by a minimum of 4 bolts. Did you leave the factory carpet in place? Bed liner should be an excellent coating as it should hold up well over time and will help prevent things from sliding around too much. Finally, please consider starting a build thread for your project as this is something people may be interested in following and copying (if you don't mind sharing more details).

For those with the Goose Gear product - what sort of finish do they use on the base plate and top of the drawer units (is it something non-slip?)? Is there any provision for mounting tie down points on the drawer unit tops? I really do like the attention to detail on their products, though the cost feels a bit on the steep side. I have a hunch if I saw the product in person, the high cost wouldn't seem so bad. I really like the option they have for deleting the 2nd row seats.

Doing my own thing. Still needs paint and holes for mounting overland stuff.

View attachment 2844079
View attachment 2844077
I love this idea and want to copy it.

Looks great, have you considered additional anchor points?

I'm afraid that my loaded drawers would likely rip those two mounting points off in a big bump (like over a head sized rock or larger on trail).

Nice job on the custom fit. Are you planning on using more than just the 2 bolts to hold it down? Are you using the bolt locations for the factory tie downs or some other locations? IMHO, it should be held down by a minimum of 4 bolts. Did you leave the factory carpet in place? Bed liner should be an excellent coating as it should hold up well over time and will help prevent things from sliding around too much. Finally, please consider starting a build thread for your project as this is something people may be interested in following and copying (if you don't mind sharing more details).

For those with the Goose Gear product - what sort of finish do they use on the base plate and top of the drawer units (is it something non-slip?)? Is there any provision for mounting tie down points on the drawer unit tops? I really do like the attention to detail on their products, though the cost feels a bit on the steep side. I have a hunch if I saw the product in person, the high cost wouldn't seem so bad. I really like the option they have for deleting the 2nd row seats.
I believe it is Bullet Liner. It hood up well and is somewhat slip resistant. It does seem to attract dirt and dog fur. I’d like to ascertain what others use to clean it.

What are your thoughts for your opinion on the four bolts?
As @CharlieS said in his post, I'd be really concerned about it being ripped up with much of a load attached to it with just the 2 bolts when going over bumps or perhaps in an emergency braking situation. I'd be even more concerned off road as there are more bumps and weird angles involved.

I love this idea and want to copy it.

Looks great, have you considered additional anchor points?

I'm afraid that my loaded drawers would likely rip those two mounting points off in a big bump (like over a head sized rock or larger on trail).
Yes, I have considered more anchor points but I'm not totally certain they are needed.

It feels better to have four, but does it really help, and for what type of event? A bump? A hard jostle? A rollover?

It also all depends on how the bolts are recessed, how much wood you are pulling against/through, are you using washers, what's your wood thickness, is there any other bracing, etc.

Rocks and the forces involved on several hundred pounds of cargo box and what's in them are my concern.

F3C45A0F-1D9F-45A5-9E7E-1ADC5CEFC275.jpeg

Yes, I have considered more anchor points but I'm not totally certain they are needed.

It feels better to have four, but does it really help, and for what type of event? A bump? A hard jostle? A rollover?

It also all depends on how the bolts are recessed, how much wood you are pulling against/through, are you using washers, what's your wood thickness, is there any other bracing, etc.

I can share details in a future video of my design choices, but I'm feeling pretty confident that it'll hold up for everything but a rollover.

We made a small mistake and had to redo a step and got to test the mounting. It surprised me with how strong it was.

But more is always better, right?

Rocks and the forces involved on several hundred pounds of cargo box and what's in them are my concern.

View attachment 2844472
Looks fun but that's not exactly my use case.

I can say that at least the GooseGear half-section I have on hand uses 1/2" plywood and almost all mounting locations are recessed 1/4" without any backing or additional support. It'd be easy for any fastener or set of fasteners to tear through that. The coating they use probably adds some strength, but the 1/4" remaining thickness really isn't much.

Last edited:
I'm thinking total overkill with 3/4" birch ply, and backing with aluminum bar stock, recessed flush with a router

I'm thinking total overkill with 3/4" birch ply, and backing with aluminum bar stock, recessed flush with a router
That'd do it for ledges like you pictured.

If you're using the M10x1.25 mounts from the third row seats, the stack up of washer and bold head is almost 1/2" already.

There's a hundred ways to skin this cat.

I'm will add that I had something similar on my 100 series, but I didn't have the luxury of having third row seat mounting points. I had to use the little M6 d-ring holes and for everything that I threw at it, including some pretty rough stuff, it never showed any issue.
Two M10 with big fat fender washers is significantly more tear out strength than four M6 with washers.

I'll also add that I'm not selling these and I don't need to design for all idiots - just the type of idiot I am. I'll leave that to GooseGear and Trexxbox and the like.

Not implying you should design them for an idiot like me. Just thinking about how I'd like to customize my version to meet my own needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom