Swap question, I'm confused... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a roller of a 1994 FZJ80. As I am old I don't necessarily enjoy full leaf springs any more. Curious if anybody has ever heard of putting a Piggy on this frame / suspension to gain that bitchin' ride. I have some fab skills and access to master fabricators. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

1 2.jpg

Yup a few now, some done & sold others underway.

Browse through the builds...

Thanks!

Lots of info on Mud for that swap.

OK. I'd imagine its a worthwhile swap. I'm an old CJ guy so like leafs. But my back doesn't as much anymore.
I just realized that sounded like me personally...nothing like that, I meant here in the sty.

I'm reading thru swap articles. Quick question if anybody knows... would the FZJ axles need to be narrowed? I don't want to deal with that. $$$
I don't think anyone has narrowed the axles in the builds that I have seen. Are you considering doing this chassis swap and then selling the 55? Not sure you can make much money that way. But I've been wrong before.

The few that I have seen did not narrow the axles. But you need to run a more modern wheel offset and to me it doesn't look right.

^ I agree, it doesn’t look right. Although 80 suspension is way better than found on 55 I wouldn’t do it. Swapping in the FZ engine? You bet.

I'm reading thru swap articles. Quick question if anybody knows... would the FZJ axles need to be narrowed? I don't want to deal with that. $$$

The axles don't NEED to be narrowed, but the 80 axles are a bit wider and push the tires out, which is not a good look on a 55. All cosmetic though, function is not negatively affected.

OK, I don't like the too-wide look either. What about swapping the 55 axles to the coil sprung frame? I need to ponder this.

OK, I don't like the too-wide look either. What about swapping the 55 axles to the coil sprung frame? I need to ponder this.
That can be done too. I only did the front but the rear would be easier.

20201127_165318.jpg
20201030_111738.jpg
20201030_122101.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom