200 Odometer Rollback? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone come across an odometer rollback on a 200?

I inquired on a 2008 LC at a small dealership in Oklahoma today. The seller sent me a Carfax report. The last couple of entries did not have mileage inputs, so I was a bit confused why.

I went to the Toyota Owner website and entered the VIN. The last service showed up on the report - 7/2021 with 174k miles. This was interesting to me considering the odometer on the vehicle currently reads 163k. I spoke with the dealership that serviced the vehicle, and they verified their records. They said they could adjust it if I brought them the vehicle to physically inspect. Problem is - they are in Colorado. The seller/dealer said he would do a live video, and they were reviewing if that would suffice. So problem solved, right?

Wrong - I called the next service item listed. This one was 5 days later and in Pennsylvania! He too verified that the mileage was reported at 174k miles. Surely both service shops didn't improperly input the records? Plus, this truck went from CO to PA. According to my seller, he bought it from a dealer in Houston, TX. I called him, and he said he bought it at auction in late July. So a lot of movement in a small window of time.

All of this just screams that something is off. Any comments or past history with similar issues would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Boo

Did the CO and PA dealers both report they serviced the truck at 174k?

The unexplained discrepancy between the odometer on the truck and 2 different dealer service records is fatal to a purchase. That will come back to haunt any future owner.

Not all records in Carfax have miles reported and they are not always correct. I got a Carfax report from a dealer on a Highlander I was interested in and the miles on the Carfax records were way off from the odometer on the vehicle. Turns out the dealer’s clerk had sent Carfax the stock number instead of the miles. The dealer then took the vehicle out of immediate sales availability while I was there and the salesperson said it would be an ordeal to get Carfax to even put a note in the record, let alone correct it.

So, what you found with the VIN records is far more valuable.

Unless you can track down what happened and get everything lined up for miles, keep looking.

Did the CO and PA dealers both report they serviced the truck at 174k?

The unexplained discrepancy between the odometer on the truck and 2 different dealer service records is fatal to a purchase. That will come back to haunt any future owner.

Not all records in Carfax have miles reported and they are not always correct. I got a Carfax report from a dealer on a Highlander I was interested in and the miles on the Carfax records were way off from the odometer on the vehicle. Turns out the dealer’s clerk had sent Carfax the stock number instead of the miles. The dealer then took the vehicle out of immediate sales availability while I was there and the salesperson said it would be an ordeal to get Carfax to even put a note in the record, let alone correct it.

So, what you found with the VIN records is far more valuable.

Unless you can track down what happened and get everything lined up for miles, keep looking.
Yes to your question about dealer reporting.
Couldn't agree more regarding moving on to the next.

Run from that one.

Honestly I smell a scam. Go pay for the carfax yourself and see if it matches what the "seller" sent you.

When I was looking for an LC there were a number of small used car dealers on cars.com or autotrader that would pop up with an LX or occasionally an LC with a good price. They'd send you a carfax which was actually lifted from a prior sale a few months ago, along with the old photos. Occasionally searching the VIN would find the original ad, but not always. The scammer would use a legit used car lot name, or they're use a name that was close to it, so if you looked up the dealer on google maps it would seem legit. Often the seller would be a used car lot in some odd location like a town in Montana or Oklahoma or something where you wouldn't likely be able to find someone to run out to the place that day to look at the vehicle. I presume if you start down the road to negotiate the scammers are actually just happy if they can get you to wire a deposit to them to hold the "vehicle", let alone wire the whole amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom