Fzj80 4bt and 6bt Diesel adapters FAQ Duiser allmaras machine repair/replacement parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another flex plate down. Turbo Phil’s rig. Putting a new torque converter in and cracking has set in. Scrambling to get parts made.

Only 3 have visible cracks same orientation as mine. Starting at bolt edge moving out ward and around. To edge. One mount close to being all the way through. Probably would have gone quick after that one let loose.

15227BAE-6755-4614-BE0B-76800C2E7740.jpeg

BB9943C8-7EC8-42F9-9F49-F21149EBC702.jpeg

11E35878-612C-48AA-BB49-A0CB08B892D9.jpeg

E019246B-5244-43AA-9D4A-5359F87C5203.jpeg

hmm, good info,
I shouldn't say this but (knock on wood) I have not had many issues with my setup in 4 plus years, I have the new bell housing and moded torque converter setup in mine. I assume, just because I dont remember that long ago:hillbilly:, that I have the cummins flex plate and adapter plate?

I am using the 93 cummins starter in mine, but replace it about once a year, I will have to look into the drain on it. or if the Ford 6.4 starter will direct bolt in I might have to try that.

I have gone through a couple alternators too.

It looks like in my pictures I see a Gates 22440 on the lower hose from the radiator. Gates 21794 for the upper hose

if someone has a better setup for the lower radiator hose I really dont like the two piece that got sent to me. I ended up having to find a piece of aluminum pipe laying around at work to splice the two together because nothing was included. I also want to look into lower opening temp thermostats because I dont like the temp gauge shock when it finally heats up then opens and that cold rush from the radiator flows in.

hmm, good info,
I shouldn't say this but (knock on wood) I have not had many issues with my setup in 4 plus years, I have the new bell housing and moded torque converter setup in mine. I assume, just because I dont remember that long ago:hillbilly:, that I have the cummins flex plate and adapter plate?

I am using the 93 cummins starter in mine, but replace it about once a year, I will have to look into the drain on it. or if the Ford 6.4 starter will direct bolt in I might have to try that.

I have gone through a couple alternators too.

It looks like in my pictures I see a Gates 22440 on the lower hose from the radiator. Gates 21794 for the upper hose

if someone has a better setup for the lower radiator hose I really dont like the two piece that got sent to me. I ended up having to find a piece of aluminum pipe laying around at work to splice the two together because nothing was included. I also want to look into lower opening temp thermostats because I dont like the temp gauge shock when it finally heats up then opens and that cold rush from the radiator flows in.
Do you have any good info on the 6.4 starter? I have only heard rumors of it fitting. I'm on my second starter and it's getting slower and slower by the day.

Both of the reported/known flex plate issues were his first version custom adapter and flexplate. Probably why he ended up redesigning to a custom bellhousing using more factory parts.

Do you have any good info on the 6.4 starter? I have only heard rumors of it fitting. I'm on my second starter and it's getting slower and slower by the day.
My buddie uses ford starter on his 4bt, I’ll try get p/n or info for ya.
Says it’s powerchoke 6.0 starter, he also does not use any of dusty parts on his conversion

This is where my GM adapter came from...they don't have an Aisin option, but it may help somebody.

Adapter Plates

The 6.0 and 6.4 powerstroke starters are interchangeable. From what i've read, the 6.0 guys swap to a 6.4 starter becuz it turns at a higher RPM. BUT, the ferd starter does not interchange w/a dodge starter. I just put a 6.4 starter up to a dodge starter and different mounting holes. Dodge starter is from 1995 auto. Not sure if 1st gens or manual trans apps are same.
I think where the confusion comes in is at least with Destroked conversion plates and some of the other conversion companies, whether cummins to ford or chevy transmission, their plates are machined to use the Ford starter. And the conversion flywheel/flexplate is built to match the Ford starter.
So if you're using the adapter plate for a cummins engine to dodge transmission you use a dodge starter. If some other adapter plate to whatever trans, probably a Ford starter. Except 4BTs with chevy trans as found in bread trucks, i dont have a clue. Sounds like duiser patterned their so called adapter plate to accept a dodge starter.

Cim, for shipping i'd send you this dodge starter. Came w/engine but never tried it or bench tested either. PM me

The 6.0 and 6.4 powerstroke starters are interchangeable. From what i've read, the 6.0 guys swap to a 6.4 starter becuz it turns at a higher RPM. BUT, the ferd starter does not interchange w/a dodge starter. I just put a 6.4 starter up to a dodge starter and different mounting holes. Dodge starter is from 1995 auto. Not sure if 1st gens or manual trans apps are same.
I think where the confusion comes in is at least with Destroked conversion plates and some of the other conversion companies, whether cummins to ford or chevy transmission, their plates are machined to use the Ford starter. And the conversion flywheel/flexplate is built to match the Ford starter.
So if you're using the adapter plate for a cummins engine to dodge transmission you use a dodge starter. If some other adapter plate to whatever trans, probably a Ford starter. Except 4BTs with chevy trans as found in bread trucks, i dont have a clue. Sounds like duiser patterned their so called adapter plate to accept a dodge starter.

Cim, for shipping i'd send you this dodge starter. Came w/engine but never tried it or bench tested either. PM me
I’m using all Dodge parts. I’ll probably rebuild the one I have when it gives up or try to find a Dodge gear reduction starter.

interesting we had a 6.0 that didn't work with dustin's adapter. I think the bendix gear is covered and housing is larger on the 6.0. something along those lines. on the ford application they might be interchangeable...

Hey all, I wound up making my own thread before I found this one. Basically UPS lost the flex plate & flywheel in shipping and now I'm trying to find a way to either procure or produce another set. Anyone have any ideas?

Here is my parts list I keep in my paperwork for my 80. I have the later version of his kit with the transmission bell-housing adapter. I also have the mechanical fan relocation bracket, so this is the belt/tensioner for that application. I was able to figure out what the vehicle applications were for some of the parts to make it easier if I had to find parts at a parts store in the middle of nowhere. YMMV

Belt: gatorback 4080690
(2009 Kenworth W900 Base Straight Truck - Long Conventional 8.9L 8849CC 540Cu. In. l6 DIESEL Turbocharged.)

Belt Tensioner: 2003+ Dodge diesel

Flexplate: 89-2005 Dodge diesel

Air filter: 98-02 Dodge diesel

Hose lower: Gates 22440
(2002 BMW Z3 3.0i Convertible 2-Door 3.0L 2979CC l6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated)

Hose upper: Gates 21794
(2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible 2-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated)

Thermostat: 2003+ Dodge diesel

Starter: 89-93 Dodge diesel

Last edited:
Hey all, I wound up making my own thread before I found this one. Basically UPS lost the flex plate & flywheel in shipping and now I'm trying to find a way to either procure or produce another set. Anyone have any ideas?
What transmission are you running? You would not have both a flexplate and flywheel. Flexplate is used with an auto, and flywheel is for a manual gearbox with clutch.

What transmission are you running? You would not have both a flexplate and flywheel. Flexplate is used with an auto, and flywheel is for a manual gearbox with clutch.
I just saw your other thread, and sounds like you have original plate adapter, not the bellhousing adapter, so it may adapt from the flywheel to the flexpate, but I am not familiar with that setup. My Cummins engine was originally a manual so I have a flywheel and would sell it to you for cheap if you need it, though shipping would probably be pretty expensive.

Yeah I have the earlier setup with the adapter plate. I'm going to be using an A442F. I really hope that at least one of these parts can be bought, if both have to be fabricated/machined I'm probably s*** outta luck.

Yeah I have the earlier setup with the adapter plate. I'm going to be using an A442F. I really hope that at least one of these parts can be bought, if both have to be fabricated/machined I'm probably s*** outta luck.
Triaxial, if a stock Dodge flexplate would help i think i still have one laying around. For cost of shipping it's yours.

I have sent you a PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom