H151F Post-swap write-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1636948558340.png

1636948596432.png

I bought this truck 11 years ago intending to make it a manual. I then moved to Western Washington where emissions testing and strict engine swap laws made that very difficult. Here we are at the end of 2021 and we no longer have emissions tests and I have a 5 speed LX450.

The good:
I did no rebuild the transmission and other than a little synchro wear on 2nd, everything works nicely.

The not so good:
I paid as much for the H151F swap kit as I did for the truck in 2010. I did order the upgrade of all new clutch components and hydraulics.
I ordered the kit in April and it arrived in September.
The bellhousing had an access hole hacked into it! LCH agreed to replace it, but the replacement still isn't here.
1636949418866.png

The kit was less complete than LCH's write-up had me believe. The whole point of buying a kit is to prevent the nickel and dime additions of buying every little bracket and screw. I still had to buy every bracket and screw...and bushing...and shift knob...and bellows...and dust boot...

I had to find new bolts for the flywheel to crankshaft and pressure plate to flywheel. I don't hold LCH responsible for these items, I just totally missed them in planning. I did purchase all new input/output shaft seals prior to the kit arriving, including the engine rear main seal.

Unexpected items that I needed to scrounge up that I expected in the kit:
Trans shift knob
Trans shift bellows/floor boot
Brake and clutch pedal pads are completely shot and falling apart
Every bushing in the shifters and pedal boxes were completely shot (yes, these are used parts...there's a difference in used and used-up)
Clutch hydraulic lines are 2-piece, but did not come with the coupler

Trouble areas where modification was necessary:
Upon first assembly the clutch throwout bearing did not actuate far enough forward to contact the pressure plate springs. I found this thread on release bearings and modified mine to the longer dimensions. 1FZ-FE to H151 clutch throwout/release bearing part number help needed. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1fz-fe-to-h151-clutch-throwout-release-bearing-part-number-help-needed.1059578/
Even with the longer bearing I had to adjust the master cylinder rod on the clutch pedal all of the way out and I used the lathe to turn a new slave cylinder pushrod that is about a centimeter longer than the one provided. The clutch now actuates fully and releases completely.
The rear drive shaft provided was not from an 80. I'm guessing it was from a 70 series pickup as it was 5.5 inches too long and had to be shortened to fit.

Other comments:
I found this thread regarding wiring (and other things) H151 Swap Information - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/h151-swap-information.790090/page-7
The wiring tips for neutral start bypass and reverse light wiring were spot on. Thanks!
I also saw a comment on the same thread that the ABS light stayed on after the swap. I had this until I reinstalled the airbag acceleration/deceleration sensor. The sensor was originally located where the T-case shifter now resides, so I moved it back where the CD changer and sub used to be next to my AC inverter.

maybe some of this will be useful to others...

1636950823679.png

Cheers!

The more posts I see about LC Heaven the more they reveal themselves as a joke!

How’s the power with the 5 speed?

I don't have many miles since I finished...about 30 in mixed city driving. I'm still getting used to it and have noticed that I'm spending a lot more time at low RPMs than I do in my 2nd gen pickup. I think that will change as I get more seat time. It definitely feels peppier off the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom