Replacing 2021 cupholder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. Just joined and apologies if this isn't the right place to post. I just bought a 2021 LC and would like swap out the cupholder for this BH3D printed one, though I can't figure out how to take out the existing cupholder. I tried pulling on the cover and it budges slightly but I don't want to break any clips by pulling too hard. I also tried slipping in a plastic sheet around the cupholder seam to try to disengage any clips to no avail. Has anyone done this on their 2021 and if so, can you please shed some light? Thanks!

Hello. Just joined and apologies if this isn't the right place to post. I just bought a 2021 LC and would like swap out the cupholder for this BH3D printed one, though I can't figure out how to take out the existing cupholder. I tried pulling on the cover and it budges slightly but I don't want to break any clips by pulling too hard. I also tried slipping in a plastic sheet around the cupholder seam to try to disengage any clips to no avail. Has anyone done this on their 2021 and if so, can you please shed some light? Thanks!
Just curious...what are people finding wrong with the cupholders?? I have a 21 and the cupholders are great...adjustable, deep. What does this 3d printed one solve for?

Pull straight up. No clips to break or anything else. Put it in a zip lock and onto a shelf in the garage never to be seen again. The BH3D is an excellent upgrade and worth the price.

Just curious...what are people finding wrong with the cupholders?? I have a 21 and the cupholders are great...adjustable, deep. What does this 3d printed one solve for?
i've thought this too

but I think the 3d printed one makes better use of the space as it eliminates the space taken up by the door which likely is open 99.9999% of the time
and he based the sizing on popular cups like the yeti/hydroflask/nalgene
and the fit is tighter so less rattle.

but I don't own one and the factory one works for me for now....

Subscribed. I have the BH3D cupholder and haven't installed it yet because I'm unsure how to tear apart the stock cupholder area without breaking stuff.

Pull straight up on the stock ones and they come unclipped. BH3D is the only good solution, love mine.

Pull straight up. No clips to break or anything else. Put it in a zip lock and onto a shelf in the garage never to be seen again. The BH3D is an excellent upgrade and worth the price.

Thanks Dunbar! Tried to pull straight up holding the lid and it won't budge. Instead, the entire console flexes with it. Any other tips? Like Heckraiser, my BH3D cupholder is just coffee table decoration right now.

My main complaints with the stock cupholders are 1) the incessant rattle. Frankly kind of baffled that a car of this price range uses so much hard plastic. 2) the fit - either my yeti is swimming around and rattling, or my nalgene barely fits.

Hoping someone out there can share the secret! Maybe a short video?

I'd bet we have some skills on these boards to create a 3D model from which we can customize holders. I'm half tempted myself, even though I already have a BH3D printed insert. Just more possibilities to maximize that bit of space.

Thanks Dunbar! Tried to pull straight up holding the lid and it won't budge. Instead, the entire console flexes with it. Any other tips? Like Heckraiser, my BH3D cupholder is just coffee table decoration right now.

My main complaints with the stock cupholders are 1) the incessant rattle. Frankly kind of baffled that a car of this price range uses so much hard plastic. 2) the fit - either my yeti is swimming around and rattling, or my nalgene barely fits.

Hoping someone out there can share the secret! Maybe a short video?
It must be stuck with soda pop residue or something. Use thin butter knives, puddy knives or something similar plastic to rock it back and forth while pulling up. Or just grab it with vise gross and vank like hell. If you destroy it it's no loss anyway. The new unit will fit right in.
In other words, pull harder!

Americans and cup holders. I don’t get it. You bought a truck designed for a world market. Good luck with your mods. Btw my cup holders don’t rattle.

Okay, call me bored. Whipped this up as a first pass prototype to establish working dimensions

1636687349458.png

When you spend hours in a vehicle on a regular basis a quality cup holder that keeps your large yeti or nalgene from spilling or flying about the cabin because the horribly designed cup holders suck then it makes complete sense. The fact that aftermarket options exist tells you that it is a widely known and accepted shortcoming of the vehicle and the demand for a product is large enough to support entire businesses specifically for that product. If we all lived in a small to medium sized European country or on the island of Japan where travel like that wasn't the norm then most would likely make do with the factory stuff.

When you spend hours in a vehicle on a regular basis a quality cup holder that keeps your large yeti or nalgene from spilling or flying about the cabin because the horribly designed cup holders suck then it makes complete sense. The fact that aftermarket options exist tells you that it is a widely known and accepted shortcoming of the vehicle and the demand for a product is large enough to support entire businesses specifically for that product. If we all lived in a small to medium sized European country or on the island of Japan where travel like that wasn't the norm then most would likely make do with the factory stuff.
Or the Middle East, Australia, Russia and the rest of the planet.

Or the Middle East, Australia, Russia and the rest of the planet.

And your point is? You're the only one complaining about others making the cup holder better, so prove your point beyond your own personal opinion on the subject? It's long been known that Toyota designs and places their cup holders badly almost universally amongst all of their models.

Americans and cup holders. I don’t get it. You bought a truck designed for a world market. Good luck with your mods. Btw my cup holders don’t rattle.
Wait til you hear what we pay for these yeti tumblers. (Myself included)

It's a medical fact: Americans have larger bladders, and therefore need better cupholders to accommodate our big gulps and super-sized drinks.

But in all seriousness, the stock cupholder can't hold anything upright. If I have to put my hand on my beverage as I go around a corner, it's time for BH3D.

Ive always wondered if these would fit in the facelift LX. Does anyone know if they are the same and just relocated?

Not only are they small, but anything tall makes contact with the gloss black control panel.

Okay, call me bored. Whipped this up as a first pass prototype to establish working dimensions

View attachment 2836769

Nice. Is that a phone slot? I would include two.
While my wife is much better in Revit than i am, i may have to bug her. I have a plastics guy across the street from me.

It must be stuck with soda pop residue or something. Use thin butter knives, puddy knives or something similar plastic to rock it back and forth while pulling up. Or just grab it with vise gross and vank like hell. If you destroy it it's no loss anyway. The new unit will fit right in.
In other words, pull harder!
Pulled straight up and indeed it popped right out! FWIW, it helped to apply pressure on the sides facing the seats. New cupholder is infinitely better. Thanks y'all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom