What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is the first twin compressor mount I've seen installed on the passenger side. Are you pleased with the mount and the installation?

Mounted mine in the same area on Slee mount.
compressor.jpg

That's correct. The Slee compressor mount is for the driver side. The Slee accessory mount is for the passenger side and that is what I used. Worked great. I used the driver side Slee compressor mount for electrical components(Switch-Pro, fuse block, etc).

I bought a 2nd Land Cruiser, 2013. 70k miles. Put Nitto Terra Grapplers on it and fixed the leaking radiator.

Prior owner/dealer sold it with a leaky radiator, a shredded spare tire and a potpourri of other tires, so it's been a race to get the small fixes in just to get it to safe use. I've put 110k on my 100 series and it's performed so flawlessly, I didn't think twice about another land cruiser. Crazy to see all of the small improvements in the vehicle. Feel free to dig through my previous posts and you can see the upgrades I did to the interior. Other than that, I've copied other owners to the letter and the knowledge here on the site has saved me thousands of dollars in bad/inaccurate advice.

I'll keep it stock until I've paid it off, but at a minimum, I will probably do the following mods.
-Front Runner Roof Rack
-OME springs, shocks
-IBS dual battery(btw, thanks for the great write up about that on the sticky)

I did these mods in my 100 series and they've repaid in me reliability and use.

If anyone has ever imported a Land Cruiser, please hit me up. I'm open to importing a 70 series or LC300 if it can be done.

2013 Land Cruiser (2).jpeg

2013 Land Cruiser.jpeg

I bought a 2nd Land Cruiser, 2013. 70k miles. Put Nitto Terra Grapplers on it and fixed the leaking radiator.

Prior owner/dealer sold it with a leaky radiator, a shredded spare tire and a potpourri of other tires, so it's been a race to get the small fixes in just to get it to safe use. I've put 110k on my 100 series and it's performed so flawlessly, I didn't think twice about another land cruiser. Crazy to see all of the small improvements in the vehicle. Feel free to dig through my previous posts and you can see the upgrades I did to the interior. Other than that, I've copied other owners to the letter and the knowledge here on the site has saved me thousands of dollars in bad/inaccurate advice.

I'll keep it stock until I've paid it off, but at a minimum, I will probably do the following mods.
-Front Runner Roof Rack
-OME springs, shocks

I did these mods in my 100 series and they've repaid in me reliability and use.

If anyone has ever imported a Land Cruiser, please hit me up. I'm open to importing a 70 series or LC300 if it can be done.

View attachment 2836554

View attachment 2836555

Assuming US federal laws don't change, you won't be able to import a 300 Series LC300 until 2047 or 2048 at the earliest and it won't be cheap. 25 years old is the magic number as far as I know.

Just a word of caution. Classic IBS systems worked great in the era prior to smart alternators. They don't really work as well for the 200-series, where the alternator doesn't produce excess voltage to charge dual batts. You'll really need a DC-DC charger for these types of setups. And unless you really know what your doing, have a good chance at reducing the reliability of the battery/electrical system.

Assuming US federal laws don't change, you won't be able to import a 300 Series LC300 until 2047 or 2048 at the earliest and it won't be cheap. 25 years old is the magic number as far as I know.
I’m quantifying the probability on this but I don’t believe two things will hold for very long.

1) Toyota’s happiness with its US SUV lineup
2) Toyota’s dealers happiness with its Us SUV lineup.

Translation: The LC didn’t sell for list of reasons in the US, but the Lexus IS the highest margin product that Toyota sells. The similarities between the two products were too much to overcome but Toyota is going to learn that it needs more products in the SUV space than it currently has. Give it a few years but I can see them either bringing back the 300 or introducing the 70 series into the US market.

They’re hoping that keeping the LC out of the US won’t have an effect on total unit sales and maybe it won’t but they are watching the sales of Lexus, Highlander and the RAV4. If those go down, it might force their hand.

Just an opinion. ;). Though a loaded one.

Last edited:
I’m quantifying the probability on this but I don’t believe two things will hold for very long.

1) Toyota’s happiness with its US SUV lineup
2) Toyota’s dealers happiness with its Us SUV lineup.

Translation: The LC didn’t sell for list of reasons in the US, but the Lexus IS the highest margin product that Toyota sells. The similarities between the two products were too much to overcome but Toyota is going to learn that it needs more products in the SUV space than it currently has. Give it a few years but I can see them either bringing back the 300 or introducing the 70 series into the US market.

They’re hoping that keeping the LC out of the US won’t have an effect on total unit sales and maybe it won’t but they are watching the sales of Lexus, Highlander and the RAV4. If those go down, it might force their hand.
LC200 sales in the US was a round off of their other SUV offerings. In 2020 Toyota sold 3,146 LC and ended 2021 with an additional 1,042; the RAV4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia sold 815,000 in 2020 and at close to $100k the LC purchase and service experience just didn't fit the Toyota model, more suited to Lexus

LC200 sales in the US was a round off of their other SUV offerings. In 2020 Toyota sold 3,146 LC and ended 2021 with an additional 1,042; the RAV4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia sold 815,000 in 2020 and at close to $100k the LC purchase and service experience just didn't fit the Toyota model, more suited to Lexus

If they just brought the GR Sport Trim to the US as a "by order only" vehicle, they could probably make it worth their time/money while actually enhancing the Land Cruiser brand. It's never going to be a big money maker, but signature vehicles rarely are. They generate headlines and they create brand identity and credibility that helps sell the higher volume vehicles. The Rav4, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser and even the Sequoia benefit from the Land Cruiser's credibility even if most people don't recognize/realize it.

Edit: Now I'm off-topic so I'll bring it back... Just ordered all the parts for my 4.88 regear and elockers setup. Shooting for week of December 6th for install. Also I've mounted the Bush Company awning a bit lower on the large mounting brackets and cut down/painted the bracket tops. Much better look, more tucked and still works fine with the hatch clearance. Will update with photos tomorrow.

Before:

IMG_2740.jpeg

After:

IMG_3468.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm curious where you get your numbers. In 2017, US Land Cruiser Sales were 6500 units. I won't divulge my source, but I trust it:) Granted, that's not high, but it didn't cut in half, it stayed about the same is my understanding. If you have a dealer sourced number, it doesn't include fleet sales, Gulf States or gov.

It's really an issue of brand confusion in the US. Total unit sales globally aren't reported in the US, but sales of the Land Cruiser aren't hurting internationally. The US consumer is unique and the SUV market in the US is probably the most competitive anywhere. Agree that the US consumer heads into a showroom and after about 65k, they've decided they want a Lexus, based on the notion that the quality and luxury are dramatically different between the two brands. We both know that's not really true, it's more of a finish and styling issue when it comes to purchase. And the two plant processes (Lexus vs LC) aren't dramatically different, thus the opportunity cost of the plant decision to manufacture a LC vs a Lexus is not as cost prohibitive as say comparing the 4runner to a Prius. So the decision was based on sales cost(and loss) to move and support vehicles from the Aichi plant .

It's been a few y ears, but the decision makers in Japan are trying to clean house of the dog brands like Yaris. The decision to not sell Land Cruiser in the US isn't necessarily set in stone. If, for whatever reason, US consumers decide they want more utility in the SUV lineup, it can return.

Does this picture jog any memories?

Toyota Ford (2).jpg

If they just brought the GR Sport Trim to the US as a "by order only" vehicle, they could probably make it worth their time/money while actually enhancing the Land Cruiser brand. It's never going to be a big money maker, but signature vehicles rarely are. They generate headlines and they create brand identity and credibility that helps sell the higher volume vehicles. The Rav4, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser and even the Sequoia benefit from the Land Cruiser's credibility even if most people don't recognize/realize it.

Edit: Now I'm off-topic so I'll bring it back... Just ordered all the parts for my 4.88 regear and elockers setup. Shooting for week of December 6th for install. Also I've mounted the Bush Company awning a bit lower on the large mounting brackets and cut down/painted the bracket tops. Much better look, more tucked and still works fine with the hatch clearance. Will update with photos tomorrow.
exactly.

I'm like anyone else, I was curious about the perceived strength of the US 'brand' of Land Cruiser, but that's not as relevant as we might like to think. The strength is really the production schedule from the Aichi production plant and part sales. And that's it. So long as that plant is running, someone is buying and Toyota is shipping it. It's misleading to suggest that Toyota is saving much by not selling Land Cruiser in the US, sales weren't high and they werent sourced in the US. A plant shutdown is a far more painful cost. It's tough for Toyota to differentiate the US consumer in larger vehicle sales, as it is with any brand. Agree that the Sequoia eats up tons of market share. But Toyota doesn't have it easy selling large vehicles in the US with SUV's like the Tahoe and Ford F-Series trucks.

If Toyota ever wants to bring back the Land Cruiser, the cost to product would be a unit and marginal cost of production issue, meaning it would be minimal.. Sales and marketing is another story. That would be a bigger hit, but it can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom