RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The customization options, great customer service and price are very appealing. But the amount of DIY and troubleshooting in this thread makes me hesitant. Has everything been worked out now?

The customization options, great customer service and price are very appealing. But the amount of DIY and troubleshooting in this thread makes me hesitant. Has everything been worked out now?
Maybe it's just been a few years and the time has healed the wounds, but it's not that bad. I did install on my truck as well as a buddy's truck also. All the info is in this thread, so very easy to get helpful advice from this crew. I'm not saying install wasn't a pain, but honestly I really can't see any other rear 200 bumper installs being not a pain. From what I've seen the majority (or all) of the Slee and Dissent 200 rears were installed by Slee and Dissent, not the end user. So apart from them having the experience of doing the same install many times over, you wouldn't hear about the fit and tweaks they have to do. So, the only thing that makes this DIY is 100% of the RLC installs were done by the peeps on this thread. Some of the issues came down to each truck having slightly different thickness to the frame welds, so some struggled more than others to get the rear brackets on because of that. Frustration aside, after you get past the day or two of install, it's a great bumper that's had zero issues over the years. Good looking, budget friendly, high, and tight. Just my 2 cents. I'm also not saying that Slee and Dissent are not nicer more premium products, but they are also nearing the 2k or more price difference. Design and strength are top notch, they just don't have luxuries like fold out tables, fancy latches and gas struts like the premium options do.

My install of what I believe to be one of the earlier bumpers was pretty simple solo on my ‘13 LC. There was a bit of thinking to get figment and whatnot dialed but I don’t feel like it was any more thought than my front bumper required. As DPA200 mentioned, I imagine other bumper options will require similar problem solving. I have been quite happy with my bumper as I imagine most of us are.

Last edited:
Are the Roadvisions from AUS only combo tail/turn/brake/reverse light available that will work for the dual swingouts orders? October 23 is the soonest it will arrive if i order today. My bumper will arrive late September and will have it installed. Will i be able to install the lights even though the bumper is already installed?

Are the Roadvisions from AUS only combo tail/turn/brake/reverse light available that will work for the dual swingouts orders? October 23 is the soonest it will arrive if i order today. My bumper will arrive late September and will have it installed. Will i be able to install the lights even though the bumper is already installed?
You can fab anything into it. Just send the dimensions to him. I ordered my roadvision on eBay and they came in about a week.

In my research the Roadvision was the only 3-way option. Not like you have to use a 3-way, but I wanted the orange. The lights I received quick just a couple days from Jason ( @TRAIL TAILOR )because he had in stock at the time. The nice part about this route is James at RLC already has the cut template and brackets he made for us. Anything other he could do, but he'd most likley want you to ship the lights to him to fab the brackets. Here is the info i passed onto another member:

For the lights i ordered from Jason @TRAIL TAILOR and he shipped them straight to James at RLC. Roadvision 3-way lights BR200LRARW. Same as Kaymar and Dissent and Trail Tailor use. Jason also sent James the CAD file he uses for the cutouts and the brackets to hold the lights, but James ended up just making his own design once he had the lights in hand. You should be able to have him just do the same as mine, as far as i know, i was the only 2 swing 200 order with him.

As far as wiring goes you'll need one of these:

With the Curt relay, you should be able to get the correct turn signal (orange) separate from the red brake.
Any 2-3 relay will work, the Curt is just the one I found. Unfortunately, most stores sell 3-2 relays (I tried about 10 local shops), the opposite of what you need. Let me know if you have any questions, @A10Driver was my resource on the wiring

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 4.46.14 PM.png

Dude!!!! me and you have the exact same setup. Silver LX, Kuat rack, and I am getting my RLC bumper next week.

I have thinking about the flip up for the whole time bumper has been getting made.

What extension did you use?
1631810716738.png

I bought this thru Walmart. I drilled another hole for the pin in the receiver so that it would push out further helping clear the spare tire. I only use this for my bike rack, no towing.

View attachment 2787744
I bought this thru Walmart. I drilled another hole for the pin in the receiver so that it would push out further helping clear the spare tire. I only use this for my bike rack, no towing.
There are some options for an 8.5 inch version. Maybe will with that. Thanks!

Rlc bumper as a bike carrier
I plan to put the spare and the carrier on at the same time. Working thru the final fitment of a hitch receiver support now.

605FECF7-04F8-4D15-8C77-3148C26C2075.jpeg

16ED86B9-2FA2-439F-A47F-F3F86266CA0A.jpeg

8FDC2302-3054-4E97-8992-304C0D236144.jpeg

01E9EEAC-8CA9-4D47-B484-4A843C280999.jpeg

@Mineral , didn't we have similar issues installing your bumper?

My installer sent this pic of the gas can carrier hitting the rear hatch. Did he install it incorrectly?View attachment 2821941View attachment 2821942
Hi Hopefully this helps. I had the 1st triple jerry basket bumper from James and mine for sure hit the tailgate and could not latch. His original design was the regular arm on the bottom, and then the middle portion (legs?) and the jerry basket were 1 welded piece of metal, no bolts. It was just before I was leaving on a big trip, so his work around at the time was to fed-ex me some 1/8" metal plates to give me extra bolt holes to shift the entire bakset/leg portion about 1-2" further away from the tailgate. That worked fine for the trip, but not a long term solution. So then he had me send the entire basket/leg back to him to re-work the design. At that point he cut the basket off the legs, and made the legs and the basket 2 separate pieces to attach by bolts. He made the leg angle different so that the basket was then spaced 1" further away from the tailgate. That worked perfect years since then no issues and a small but comfortable amount of clearance.

That all being said, I'm pretty sure @NoClue or somebody else on this thread had the same issue and had to reach out to James to get the V2 modified design. Not 100% who that was, it's somewhere in this 40+ page thread. So question for you, does your jerry side consist of the modified 3 piece design (arm, legs, and basket).....or did he send you the original bad design that only has 2 pieces (arm and a legs/basket combo)?

I searched through this thread for my old posts on the subject and found these which might help you figure this out. When in doubt just reach out to James, we know this issue happened at least 2 times so he might remember it.

3 piece final good design

2 piece original bad design

Here is the finished product. Installer had to push back and cut the rear trim of the gas can carrier since we can not lower the hatch. He trimmed the latch handle on the other side too.
He did not install the parking sensors since the wiring was not long enough and would have to leave the truck an extra day to also wire the tail lights. I told him not to bother and will try to do that myself. I ended paying higher install fee for the extra work.
Im still a happy camper with this bumper and will still recommend James. Now i need help from the experts here re wiring the Curt and installing the sensors. The middle sensors are too big for the precut holes
20211028_074544.jpg
20211028_074458.jpg

20211028_170850.jpg

Here is the finished product. Installer had to push back and cut the rear trim of the gas can carrier since we can not lower the hatch. He trimmed the latch handle on the other side too.
He did not install the parking sensors since the wiring was not long enough and would have to leave the truck an extra day to also wire the tail lights. I told him not to bother and will try to do that myself. I ended paying higher install fee for the extra work.
Im still a happy camper with this bumper and will still recommend James. Now i need help from the experts here re wiring the Curt and installing the sensors. The middle sensors are too big for the precut holes
View attachment 2824060View attachment 2824061

View attachment 2824059
Looks good. Yeah the fit issue musta just been something off with him modifying the jerry basket to go on the Passenger side. From what I've seen you are the 1st who did this config. Parking sensors I just gave up on. I tried extending myself and never got it to work. I'm pretty bad with electrical though should be simple.I'm used to living without now. The lights/Curt thing @TexAZ did the wiring for me, they work great years later

I had to use some epoxy (gorrilla glue, really) on my front parking sensor grommets.

I think the grommet sizes have changed over the years (even within the same model year), or at least it's different depending on the position, so those holes might fit a different year grommet or a different position grommet (front maybe?) if you look around and want to try a few. I anecdotally know this because I replaced one of my front grommets at one point when I broke it (caught the edge of a chain link construction fence in a *really* tight maneuver I need to do to get my travel trailer parked off an alley) and the replacement fit in perfectly and was totally flat unlike my original which was angled like the two middle rear sensor grommets and required some adhesive, despite supposedly being the same year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom