Finally finished the Diff Drop today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a little extra time today so I put the Cruiser up on ramps and started unbolting things. I made my own Diff Drop with the specs from Shotts site and scrounging up some nice 1 7/8 Stainless round stock from the local closed down Naval base.
After removing the cross member and looking at drilling the relocated holes and having to cut out the bracing, I opted to just cut the whole bracket off the crossmember and relocate it 3/4" lower and welded it into place. Total time was about two hours of playing after making the spacers a couple of weeks ago. I tried to have the spacers made at my local machine shop, but after trying to cut this stainless stuff on a lathe he just asked me to take my surplus alloy and get out. So after burning up 7 Sawzall blades, I have really nice spacers that will NEVER rust.
After all is done I wound up with about $30 into it. Thanks John for the specs.

Campfire said:
Had a little extra time today so I put the Cruiser up on ramps and started unbolting things. I made my own Diff Drop with the specs from Shotts site and scrounging up some nice 1 7/8 Stainless round stock from the local closed down Naval base.
After removing the cross member and looking at drilling the relocated holes and having to cut out the bracing, I opted to just cut the whole bracket off the crossmember and relocate it 3/4" lower and welded it into place. Total time was about two hours of playing after making the spacers a couple of weeks ago. I tried to have the spacers made at my local machine shop, but after trying to cut this stainless stuff on a lathe he just asked me to take my surplus alloy and get out. So after burning up 7 Sawzall blades, I have really nice spacers that will NEVER rust.
After all is done I wound up with about $30 into it. Thanks John for the specs.

Congrats! But you know what everyone says: "THIS IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS"...so put 'em up Jeff :rolleyes:

Differential drop DIY spacers

O.K. Dan, here you go.
This is my differential drop that I fabricated out of some surplus stainless steel. Pic one is the 1" spacer on the front cover mount. I installed a longer 1/2" bolt and then had to fish the nut into the crossmember for the top of it. Notice the new four pinion diff there!
sidefrtlr2im.jpg

Picture 2 is the welded mount relocated 3/4" down after cutting it off the crossmember.
xmemberlr4fx.jpg

and picture #3 is the rear mount spacer at .57" with the longer bolt.
rearlr5ov.jpg

Next is a trip to the alignment shop, then a custom skid plate to fit the lowered diff.

Campfire said:
Next is a trip to the alignment shop, then a custom skid plate to fit the lowered diff.

FYI, you can add spacers between the skid plate and the crossmember to fit the factory skid plate back on. Unless, you just want to build a custom one. In which case you should build about 10 of them and sell them here on Mud.

Campfire said:
O.K. Dan, here you go.
This is my differential drop that I fabricated out of some surplus stainless steel. Pic one is the 1" spacer on the front cover mount. I installed a longer 1/2" bolt and then had to fish the nut into the crossmember for the top of it. Notice the new four pinion diff there!
sidefrtlr2im.jpg

Picture 2 is the welded mount relocated 3/4" down after cutting it off the crossmember.
xmemberlr4fx.jpg

and picture #3 is the rear mount spacer at .57" with the longer bolt.
rearlr5ov.jpg

Good job Jeff! Hopefully we can go wheel'n together this summer!

Greg B said:
FYI, you can add spacers between the skid plate and the crossmember to fit the factory skid plate back on. Unless, you just want to build a custom one. In which case you should build about 10 of them and sell them here on Mud.

Just add spacers? What type of challenge is that? Besides, I've found some aluminum plate at the old naval yard.... I think it's aluminum.

Greg B said:

YES! Will someone make a skid please... or 2nd best is if someone would design a skid and post the design here... I made one for my old XJ Heep but it was a much simpler design than an IFS LC100.

like this!!!
Toyota_LandCruiser%201.jpg

:cheers:

Scrounging up a super old thread here—great write up on this DIY diff drop. Has anyone updated/modified this process since 2006? Thoughts on making the spacers out of delrin?

Scrounging up a super old thread here—great write up on this DIY diff drop. Has anyone updated/modified this process since 2006? Thoughts on making the spacers out of delrin?
I guess I don't stick my head in here like I used to. Almost two years????
Did you wind up making some? And out of what?

I would think the Delrin would be too soft, but some 6061 aluminum would probably work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom