Oil Pressure Sender Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

I am trying to understand how the oil pressure sender wiring works on my 87 FJ60.

I pulled off the rubber boot (which has a hole on the side).

Into the boot ran a yellow/black wire which is encased in a plastic ribbed conduit.

The pressure sender itself has the spade connected to the spade on the side of the pressure sender and nothing connected the center "nipple".

How many wires are supposed to run inside the rubber boot?
How does this all get wired up?

Thanks,
Zhenya

D4176D16-45FF-47A0-98F6-804940BC54A6.jpeg
08932745-4FB5-4F77-BF05-72294B078531.jpeg
BA2ABE07-7CDE-4906-89D8-439824B67338.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. I read the whole thread and reconnected the yellow/black wire with a new spade to the center of the sending unit.

There is no response by the gauge as were yesterday it just read low and then stopped working.

I tested oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and it reads correct at 60+ psi.

What’s interesting is that there was always a spare in the side tab but no wire going to it. However I could see broken wire stands crimped into it.

If the yellow wire was connected to the spade terminal, your oil pressure gauge is now burnt out. You may be able to mechanically bend it back into shape depending on how long it was left like that. You likely need a new oil pressure sending unit, and a replacement gauge.

Here are the stages of what has happened:

1. Gauge used work well.
2. Had a well known cruiser shop do the oil pan gasket
3. Some time later gauge starts reading much lower
4. Changed oil back to my preference.
5. Drive with gauge still reading low but better than after shop
6. Gauge goes to zero
7. Removed rubber boot and found wire disconnected and spade on tab but not connected
8. Manually tested oil pressure - good
9. Crimped new spade to yellow/black wire and connected to center post on pressure sender
10. Started engine. Still no reading on gauge

What’s interesting is that there was always a spare in the side tab but no wire going to it. However I could see broken wire stands crimped into it.
It is possible but rare ,for there to be a poor connection to ground on the sender.
Re the spare tab from the previous link .

"
One more thing. The extra lug on the sender is for making a proper earth to the sender body. It's not usually needed unless you use too much thread tape when screwing the sender in. The thread tape can insulate the sender body from earth , but this rarely happens, so probably no need to bother with extra earth.
**if the sender thread is made of plastic, the extra earth is essential.
cheers, and good luck."

You can check functionality of the circuit by connecting the yellow/black wire directly to ground. Turn the key to "ON" and watch the gauge needle. If the needle starts to move, the circuit is likely okay. Turn the key off before the needle gets passed the 1/4 - 1/2 mark. DO NOT let the needle bury itself at the "H" mark or you will damage the mechanism.

Thanks all for continuing to solve with me.

I tried the grounding trick and the gauge did not move.

I also checked with the ignition off:
-resistance of yellow/black to ground: 53 Omhs. Did not fluctuate much with wire moving.
- resistance of spade to batt ground .8 ohms.

Looks like possibly the gauge is dead?

Last edited:
The wire was my next through as well - that's why I did the continuity test.

Is there by any chance a fuse that controls that specific gauge?

Otherwise, I think I will try to find a replacement gauge (this seems so unlikely...)

That’s the thing, I never saw it go about 1/2 and trust me I kept my eye on it; as I thought I had no oil pressure 🤣

Look at page BE-36 in the factory service manual, your ohm test is near spec of 55 ohms, most likely the gauge in the dash is bent beyond proper reading. I just did this repair last month. Thanks to @Lead Head detailing this.

Here is the page BE-36:
BE-36.jpg

Additionally, I ordered a new sender from RockAuto ~35$ or so, made in Japan, WVE / NGK brand.
SKU was 25875 44222 also another number on the box was 1S6706
My gauge pegged when I installed this, and I was certain to place the connector on the center pin...
long story short, I went back to the original sender after testing and then fixed the dash gauge.
You should be able to draw blood getting the speedo cable off / on.
HTH

Last edited:
@Zhenya...Cruiser Parts has used gauges for $75 plus shipping. Pretty close to $100 total. I have one arriving Friday because my shop had to replace the sender, and didn't know how to wire it...and fried the OEM gauge. As @pithicus said, that male spade is typically not needed. Wouldn't it be nice if Toyota included some info with the new part! A you can see here, I put an insulated female spade over it so that it can't be used again by mistake. Builds - Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sentimental-restoration-of-family-1990-fj62.1095049/page-10#post-14126142

Thanks to @micruz60 for the tip on the FSM page on the gauge.

Just to clarify- there is not a fuse specific to the gauge, but one for all gauges in the cluster.
Here is a photo of the sender unit which I 'customized' with red paint on the no no spade and gorilla taped the flange for the rubber cover to fit snugly

OILPRESSURESENDER.jpg

This Link may help you out , it includes :

- NEW Engine wire #4 complete KIT ,

- a OEM YAZAKI TOYOTA Updated Positive Grip DETENT Ball Equipped solid BRASS , oil sender Connector

- the 2nd Late Late MODLE Ground Tab u have in your hand sender , is a aftermarket later part...

- the 2nd ground tab was NOT introduced until the 1FZ-FE was installed into the 80 series 1993 era - LATER

- while NOT at all a bad thing , i update any job or my own land cruisers to the ground tab 100% , its a necessary feature i feel for a solid gauge signal , zero GREY area here

- if u require a 2nd NEW updated ENGINE ROOM wire #4 KIT PM me ...

- i can accommodate this no problem , NO extra cost either ,

- i personally hand make each and every one of these KITs in-house , with pride , the Traditional TOYOTA WAY , using 100% JAPAN parts ...PERIOD

- the Rubber BOOT for sender , i get made here in the USA , only exception , but it's chemical resistent super high quality EPDM Premium Rubber ....fyi

- LINKS Below :

thanks ....

matt ... :)

- Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor Rubber Boot & Sub Harness Engine Room Wire #4 Part # 82124-90A01 Restoration & Repair Kit BJ70 HJ60 BJ60 FJ60 BJ42 Fj40 FJ55 FJ43 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/copy-of-water-coolant-temperature-sensor-sending-unit-union-harness-repair-kit-rubber-boot

- Late Modle Toyota Double Wire w/ 2nd Ground Tab style Oil Pressure Sender switch Wire Harness Connector Repair Kit w/ Ground Tab FJ40 FJ60 FJ62 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/late-modle-toyota-double-wire-oil-pressure-sender-switch-wire-harness-connector-repair-kit-w-ground-tab-fj40-fj60-fj62

- TOYOTA Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor Switch Connector Wire Harness Repair Kit Single Wire Type - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor-switch-connector-wire-harness-repair-kit-single-wire-type

- EARLY TOYOTA Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor Switch Connector Wire SUB Harness Repair Kit DOUBLE Wire Type 82221-60010 1FZ-FE 8/92-1/96 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/copy-of-toyota-oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor-switch-connector-wire-harness-repair-kit-single-wire-type

- LATER TOYOTA Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor Switch Connector Wire SUB Harness Repair Kit DOUBLE Wire Type 82221-60020 1FZ-FE 1 / 1996 - 1 / 1998 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/copy-of-toyota-oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor-switch-connector-wire-sub-harness-repair-kit-double-wire-type-82221-60010-1fz-fe

1597258499390_2048x.png

B7C0298A-D601-4192-9273-2C863A4721AD_2048x.jpg

oilsenderwire4_2048x.jpg

603706CD-6440-409E-A0EB-501FA03B3B67_2048x.jpg

DSCN8248_2048x.JPG

DSCN8253_2048x.JPG

DSCN9957_57c66fa0-f1db-4105-a071-52c5f62015d5_2048x.JPG

1636426404917.png

This Link may help you out , it includes :

- NEW Engine wire #4 complete KIT ,

- a OEM YAZAKI TOYOTA Updated Positive Grip DETENT Ball Equipped solid BRASS , oil sender Connector

- the 2nd Late Late MODLE Ground Tab u have in your hand sender , is a aftermarket later part...

- the 2nd ground tab was NOT introduced until the 1FZ-FE was installed into the 80 series 1993 era - LATER

- while NOT at all a bad thing , i update any job or my own land cruisers to the ground tab 100% , its a necessary feature i feel for a solid gauge signal , zero GREY area here

- if u require a 2nd NEW updated ENGINE ROOM wire #4 KIT PM me ...

- i can accommodate this no problem , NO extra cost either ,

- i personally hand make each and every one of these KITs in-house , with pride , the Traditional TOYOTA WAY , using 100% JAPAN parts ...PERIOD

- the Rubber BOOT for sender , i get made here in the USA , only exception , but it's chemical resistent super high quality EPDM Premium Rubber ....fyi

- LINKS Below :

thanks ....

matt ... :)

- Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor Rubber Boot & Sub Harness Engine Room Wire #4 Part # 82124-90A01 Restoration & Repair Kit BJ70 HJ60 BJ60 FJ60 BJ42 Fj40 FJ55 FJ43 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/copy-of-water-coolant-temperature-sensor-sending-unit-union-harness-repair-kit-rubber-boot

- Late Modle Toyota Double Wire w/ 2nd Ground Tab style Oil Pressure Sender switch Wire Harness Connector Repair Kit w/ Ground Tab FJ40 FJ60 FJ62 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/late-modle-toyota-double-wire-oil-pressure-sender-switch-wire-harness-connector-repair-kit-w-ground-tab-fj40-fj60-fj62

- TOYOTA Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor Switch Connector Wire Harness Repair Kit Single Wire Type - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor-switch-connector-wire-harness-repair-kit-single-wire-type

- EARLY TOYOTA Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor Switch Connector Wire SUB Harness Repair Kit DOUBLE Wire Type 82221-60010 1FZ-FE 8/92-1/96 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/copy-of-toyota-oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor-switch-connector-wire-harness-repair-kit-single-wire-type

- LATER TOYOTA Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor Switch Connector Wire SUB Harness Repair Kit DOUBLE Wire Type 82221-60020 1FZ-FE 1 / 1996 - 1 / 1998 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/body-1/products/copy-of-toyota-oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor-switch-connector-wire-sub-harness-repair-kit-double-wire-type-82221-60010-1fz-fe

1597258499390_2048x.png

B7C0298A-D601-4192-9273-2C863A4721AD_2048x.jpg

oilsenderwire4_2048x.jpg

603706CD-6440-409E-A0EB-501FA03B3B67_2048x.jpg

DSCN8248_2048x.JPG

DSCN8253_2048x.JPG

DSCN9957_57c66fa0-f1db-4105-a071-52c5f62015d5_2048x.JPG

View attachment 2834065
Awesome post and info. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom