Injector Cleaning w/o Removal - Fuel Pump Disable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I watched a clever video by AliMech on Youtube where he pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and created a hose to connect an aerosol injector cleaner to the fuel rail. He then started the car and ran it on the entire can of cleaner. He followed this up by demonstrating the spray pattern being improved by the cleaner used on an injector that had been removed.

I tried to do this on my FZJ80 by pulling the EFI fuse (I didn't expect this to work, but it was easy) and also by disconnecting the fuel pump relay. In neither instance did the engine start in order to run on the injector cleaner.

I recently replaced my fuel pump and know I can disable it by pulling out my seats and disconnecting it directly, but if there is an easier way, I'd certainly prefer that. I looked at the wiring diagrams for the truck and can't see any other approaches for the ignition and EFI system to work while the fuel pump is disabled. Does anyone know of an easier way?

I really liked this approach because it is quick and easy and I have been chasing down a 2100rpm stumble and have already done many things and want to minimize time spent, if possible. I also experienced the stumble lessened when I ran additive injector cleaner to the fuel during a long trip.

Things tried for stumble, for background:
- cleaned fuel pump relay
- replaced fuel pump
- cleaned MAF
- additive injector cleaner
- replaced old vacuum hoses

Thanks!

Well, once again I have been outsmarted by a complex system. Directly disconnecting the fuel pump did not allow the truck to fire, either. I then thought I was being clever realizing the circuit may need to be completed and so I jumped the red/green wire in the fuel pump electrical connector (based on looking at the wiring diagram) to ground. That didn't work either.

Can it be that I am not creating enough pressure with the aerosol spray can to get through the regulator on the fuel rail?

I realize that I should probably just let this go. I could just add some cleaner to the tank and set aside the necessary time in the future to pull the injectors and clean them while off the truck. But this is just going to eat at my brain not understanding why it didn't work. Could someone save me from myself and tell me why this is not working?

Engine won't run without the EFI fuse in place as you pulled +12 from the ECU. No spark; no fuel injectors firing; no sensors working.

A simple non-invasive approach would be to pull the fuel pump relay.

Last edited:
Thanks, @jonheld, I tried that also. I think it may be the case that I shouldn't have expected the truck to run on carb cleaner. I sprayed some in the throttle body after I put everything back together and it took a little cranking to get it going.

I think it may be the case that I shouldn't have expected the truck to run on carb cleaner.
You would need to develop sufficient pressure (38-44 psi) in the fuel rail for the injectors to be able to inject.

Last edited:
You would need to develop sufficient pressure (38-44 psi) in the fuel rail for the injectors to be able to inject.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks so much for pointing that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom