Am I leaking something? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed drops of something coming from under my 2021 HE with 6k miles this morning. Not sure if it’s a leak or not. It was cold this morning for the first time and I used the heater for the first time - wondering if it’s just condensation. The attached picture shows where the “puddles” are - I’ll try to take better pictures when I get home.

B77FE597-B5CE-4292-89F1-2C66B3C35442.jpeg

Any chance you saw the color, smelled the odor, or felt the consistency of the puddle?

I see water from the AC all the time, but if is slippery, red, pink or has a strong odor I have some other ideas.

Noticed drops of something coming from under my 2021 HE with 6k miles this morning. Not sure if it’s a leak or not. It was cold this morning for the first time and I used the heater for the first time - wondering if it’s just condensation. The attached picture shows where the “puddles” are - I’ll try to take better pictures when I get home.

View attachment 2829674
What’s temp where you live? AC drains above transmission which is what’s pictured above your wet spot.

I live in Southern California. It was very cloudy/misty this morning, and was in the 50s so it was the first time I used my heater. I noticed condensation that appears to be leading to the front puddle but all I could see from the back puddle was a drip. The liquid appeared to be water - wasn't "thick" or colored and had no smell/taste.

I've uploaded 4 more pictures that show the two puddles and the two locations they appear to be coming from.

First picture is where the "front" puddle is coming from. Second picture is the two puddles. Third picture is where the "back" puddle is coming from (you can see the drops to the right of the square/rectangular piece, and the fourth picture is a better picture of where the front puddle is coming from.

IMG-3022.jpg

IMG-3023.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

If it is clear, not viscous, doesn't have an odor and is not slippery, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah - it just looks/feels/tastes like water. I'll mention it next time I bring it in for service but unless it gets worse I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Cloudy and misty. Were you using your window defroster in addition to the heat?

Because that will run the AC, which produces water and the water will evaporate less quickly due to the ambient humidity.

Cloudy and misty. Were you using your window defroster in addition to the heat?

Because that will run the AC, which produces water and the water will evaporate less quickly due to the ambient humidity.
The front window was fogging up when I first turned the car on so I did use the front defroster/heater to get that to go away. That said, the second time I drove today I didn't use it (and the pictures I uploaded were from the second time I used it). Maybe just some residual from the morning drive (the first drive of the day).

The front window was fogging up when I first turned the car on so I did use the front defroster/heater to get that to go away. That said, the second time I drove today I didn't use it (and the pictures I uploaded were from the second time I used it). Maybe just some residual from the morning drive (the first drive of the day).
I'd be super picky if I had a new '21 as well.
With that being said, it looks like water/condensation runoff.

The A/C and heat have minds of their own and run in a wide variety of conditions to satisfy the AUTO setting for temp. Just because it was chilly out does not mean the A/C compressor was off all the time, whether or not the defroster setting was used. Those drips are where the water coming off the evaporator drains out on my '17 and it often drips in multiple places as it hits things on the way down. If it look like water, feels like water and tastes like water..............

And, FYI, you'll get a puddle in the left rear when the rear HVAC is on.

You parked next to a BMW, the cruiser is just trying to fit in with its surroundings ;).

(Sorry, can't be more help.)

This might sound silly, but make sure you don't have any leaking water bottles in the center console fridge. I recall a thread a while back where someone thought they had a leak and it was an old mountain dew dripping out the console drain.

Am I crazy, that looks pink, like coolant.

It's definitely not pink. I just turned the vehicle on and left it in the driveway and there was no dripping. Went for a 10 minute drive with the auto AC + front defroster going, placed a couple of bowls under where the dripping was occurring, waited 5 minutes, and then gave them a looksie. Definitely water - I even drank it in hopes of getting some of that legendary LC durability.

It's definitely not pink. I just turned the vehicle on and left it in the driveway and there was no dripping. Went for a 10 minute drive with the auto AC + front defroster going, placed a couple of bowls under where the dripping was occurring, waited 5 minutes, and then gave them a looksie. Definitely water - I even drank it in hopes of getting some of that legendary LC durability.
Bottle it and sell it. There is a market for everything!

That's definitely "AC water" and nothing to worry about. I had the same concern with my '15 LX and rubbed my fingers in the puddle to come to the same conclusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom