Purpose of the Turbo Pressure Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
holahonduras.net
I've been looking for a replacement sensor for my 2001 Diesel down here in Honduras. And I posted a question about where I might buy it (with no replies to-date :( )
The dash light glows amber starting at around 1500 RPM. But otherwise, I don't notice a huge problem and have been driving with it like that for over a month now.
So it prompted me to ask the question: what does this sensor actually do?

Only really work on gasoline vehicles so take this with a grain of salt.

Most cars use the Turbo pressure sensor, which is sometimes just a MAP (manifold absolute pressure ) sensor. To determine vacuum or positive pressures to adjust the fuel/ air mixture. They can also be used to tell the waste gate to open, to avoid over boost situations. Although most wastegates have a spring pressure value where they open up regardless of what the ECM/ Waste gate actuator tell it to do if it exceeds a certain pressure (mechanical safety in a sense).

So if the sensor isn't working right the ECM can't determine the engine pressure levels to modify the fuel/air trim. On a gasoline car at least, that can spell problems where you run lean enough to pop the motor or overboost severly to blow out seals etc.

So no online vendors have responded? I would say the usual McGeorges Toyota.

Thanks for the reply. I just had the engine rebuilt and a new Turbo installed after the previos one blew a fin and destroyed a cylinder, so I'm cautious about it! It is a diesel, but I assume it would work the same as a gasoline engine? Here's photos I took of it. It's attached to the air filter housing. I'm not even 100% sure that's what it is, although a mechanic down here in Honduras says that's the part that's bad. I've been told it costs over $200 - for such a simple part!

Turbo Sensor1.JPG

Turbo Sensor2.JPG

To me it looks aftermarket, you could try check the ground and the brown wire looks pretty dodgy so you could try to resolder that if the connection is bad. Having the diesel the only sensor I have around the airbox is the air sensor which just tells you if there's a restriction eg clogged air element which will light up on your dash

To me it looks aftermarket, you could try check the ground and the brown wire looks pretty dodgy so you could try to resolder that if the connection is bad. Having the diesel the only sensor I have around the airbox is the air sensor which just tells you if there's a restriction eg clogged air element which will light up on your dash
I did a look through all the sensors for a 2001 Land Cruiser on PartsGeek and found this picture for a "Knock Sensor" It looks the closest in appearance. Could this be it i.e. and not a Turbo related sensor at all? I'm relying on my mechanic here in Honduras to tell me what is causing the amber Turbo light to show up on the dash, so ........

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 7.13.14 AM.png

The picture shown doesn't look like a pressure sensor of sorts. They usually are 2-4 wires.

It is most definitely not a knock sensor, they are mounted low in the "V" of most engines to detect the "tells" of knock.

Sorry this is the best photo of what the boost sensor should look like. Unfortunately, its on another forum.

Thanks buddy! I found something that looks like the pic on the other website. So I wonder if like you said, what is currently installed is an aftermarket? The part I found is a good price anyway :)

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 9.21.23 AM.png

Thanks buddy! I found something that looks like the pic on the other website. So I wonder if like you said, what is currently installed is an aftermarket? The part I found is a good price anyway :)

View attachment 2819084

I don't know, I looked and looked. Since the diesel was never offered here (Maryland, U.S.) in the 100 I am limited to what I could find. Found one place that had a diagram of the vacuum system, but no description on the part.

I am going to suggest that you might want to pickup a service manual for your truck. Hopefully, some one with a diesel (mostly likely Africa, Europe or Australia) can definitively say what that is. I am inclined to agree with RedesKat, that it could be the diesel filter sensor. But I really have no idea. Also looks like the MAP/Boost sensor are one in the same on this vehichle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom