FJ60 Headlights Upgrade - Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you buy the 80/100 watts h4s, you should get the relay harness too. The heavier wire that delivers a strong 12v from the battey will give your new bulbs the power they need.

maybe true with 50/60 watt but why bother with 80/100 if your not going to go with relays, heavier gauge wire and 12 direct from the battery? To the OP, go ahead and get the lights and lens, but if like Seth mentions in step 1, you have dim lights that get brighter when you rev up...then you can always add the harness later.
For sure the add on harnesses are great to help with aging stock harnesses and voltage loss....but the stock wiring is 100% plug and play with an H4 bulb and housing.

I am currently framing a new garage/workshop with hope of having a useable space sometime this winter. I'm thinking to pull the harness out of my 1988 FJ62 and lay it out on a board with all the components so I can have a virtual truck to play with. I'd like create a harness kit that replaces the stock kit without being an oddball add on that just clips into the stock headlight connectors.

Just get the @Racer65 ones and be done with it. Install takes like 10 min and they are bright enough to not need a light bar or anything on the trail. Make sure you properly aim them. Theyre basically trucklites and come with a switched ground relay. everything you need. Plus hes a solid vendor to work with, very professional. Youll never get LED performance out of halos

If you only do one thing — install a headlight harness. The original one in the truck was lame the day the truck rolled off the factory floor.

If you only do one thing — install a headlight harness. The original one in the truck was lame the day the truck rolled off the factory floor.

I wonder how much better the leds from cityracer would do with a new harness? I just have mine connected to stock and they are a huge upgrade

I'd say go yo H4 housings first....easier and literally a night an day difference in headlight visibility. A harness upgrade with the stock sealed beam bulbs will just mean your horribly inefficient sealed beams might be a little bit brighter and still awful :rofl:

Just get the @Racer65 ones and be done with it. Install takes like 10 min and they are bright enough to not need a light bar or anything on the trail. Make sure you properly aim them. Theyre basically trucklites and come with a switched ground relay. everything you need. Plus hes a solid vendor to work with, very professional. Youll never get LED performance out of halos

I wonder how much better the leds from cityracer would do with a new harness? I just have mine connected to stock and they are a huge upgrade
I'd say go yo H4 housings first....easier and literally a night an day difference in headlight visibility. A harness upgrade with the stock sealed beam bulbs will just mean your horribly inefficient sealed beams might be a little bit brighter and still awful :rofl:

These ARE 100% LED .............

NOT halogen ....fyi

(1).png

It mostly depends on the current draw of the LED housing but its unlikely to be a significant difference. Simply due to the the LED current draw being significantly lower than a halogen for the equivalent light. But also wouldn't hurt ;)

It mostly depends on the current draw of the LED housing but its unlikely to be a significant difference. Simply due to the the LED current draw being significantly lower than a halogen for the equivalent light. But also wouldn't hurt ;)

Ah yeah thats what i was thinking haha

Oh wow! I had no idea, and those look freaking great!

@Seth S hipped me to the fact that you can run the Koito lights from the Toyota OEM kit without the need for the supplied harness. I ran into the issue where when using the supplied harness the lighting was much, much better than stock with the Koito lights from Toyota, but that the High Beam Indicator on the dash wouldn't work any longer. I actually failed inspection in my State as a result. Not sure if this is a problem in Florida but just thought I would throw out my experience with the OEM Koito kit. I am in the midst of trying to figure out this issue currently, but I was able to run the Koito lights supplied in the kit off the factory wiring which makes the HBI work again. This got my truck to pass inspection. Have not yet been able to compare the brightness between using the harness and not, but plan to do so soon. Not sure OP if the high beams issues you are referring to are due to the HBI not working using the OEM kit. The high beams work fine with the harness....just the HBI doesn't. Some folks have success with changing the HBI to an LED bulb to make it work with the Koito harness as well as changing the Koito harness to the ARB harness here:

The ARB seems to make the HBI work. I have not yet installed this harness but am told it makes the HBI work somehow.

The point here is that the Koito OEM kit from Toyota is a great cheap upgrade, its not 100% plug and play because of the HIB issue. As you can see the solutions range greatly in price. HTH.

Last edited:
@Stumpalama

i personally installed his set at out TLCA Event Swap meet and TOYOTA Vehicles Show .......

he shot TECH Viseo maybe he can post it here ?

thanks

Below :

High and LOW Beams

100% Water Proof and Shock Proof GLass O-ring lens's around the 8000K diodes

super killer KOOL !

Thanks, Noted.
Just to be clear, is the price for both? or is that each light. (either way I think is a good price).

Thanks,

That is the price for the whole setup which makes it an incredible value. Two headlights with H4 bulbs plus the wiring relay. The whole thing. This is the part number 8110-60P70. Some online Toyota shops have this as low as $40, plus shipping of course.

That is the price for the whole setup which makes it an incredible value. Two headlights with H4 bulbs plus the wiring relay. The whole thing. This is the part number 8110-60P70. Some online Toyota shops have this as low as $40, plus shipping of course.

@Seth S hipped me to the fact that you can run the Koito lights from the Toyota OEM kit without the need for the supplied harness. I ran into the issue where when using the supplied harness the lighting was much, much better than stock with the Koito lights from Toyota, but that the High Beam Indicator on the dash wouldn't work any longer. I actually failed inspection in my State as a result. Not sure if this is a problem in Florida but just thought I would throw out my experience with the OEM Koito kit. I am in the midst of trying to figure out this issue currently, but I was able to run the Koito lights supplied in the kit off the factory wiring which makes the HBI work again. This got my truck to pass inspection. Have not yet been able to compare the brightness between using the harness and not, but plan to do so soon. Not sure OP if the high beams issues you are referring to are due to the HBI not working using the OEM kit. The high beams work fine with the harness....just the HBI doesn't. Some folks have success with changing the HBI to an LED bulb to make it work with the Koito harness as well as changing the Koito harness to the ARB harness here:

The ARB seems to make the HBI work. I have not yet installed this harness but am told it makes the HBI work somehow.

The point here is that the Koito OEM kit from Toyota is a great cheap upgrade, its not 100% plug and play because of the HIB issue. As you can see the solutions range greatly in price. HTH.

This is the kit I am alluding to with regards to the HIB issue, just FYI. Its a great value, until you want it to fully work. Maybe @Godwin has a solution he uses for the HIB not working. Maybe it works for him. Not sure. HTH.

Yeah, I was referring to that HBI. I just don't want to get into all that wiring and replacing hundreds of dollars at the moment, having other things that are more of a priority. I was looking for a simple, cheap upgrade.
So, back to drawing table.

FYI I got the LED bulb for this that allegedly makes the HBI work, but have not tried it yet. It was like $6 so if it worked with the Koito kit then you are good as gold and still cheap IMHO.

This is the kit I am alluding to with regards to the HIB issue, just FYI. Its a great value, until you want it to fully work. Maybe @Godwin has a solution he uses for the HIB not working. Maybe it works for him. Not sure. HTH.

I have no problems and the HIB works in both of our 60s.

I have no problems and the HIB works in both of our 60s.

The HIB issue is hit or miss. Some folks have it and some don't, but maybe you will get lucky OP with yours. The Koito kit is a nice upgrade and there are solutions for the HIB issue if you encounter it. For $50 its prolly your safe bet if not wanting to part with a ton of cash. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom