Builds Montana 65 FJ45LV "Tin Zen" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The worst of the rust that I found was under that factory floor mat.
20211008_135022.jpg
20211008_135028.jpg

Really looks pretty good I would say. Rust usually lurks in the inside of the rear quarters and the doors. Those are factory floor mats - pretty cool. Not sure about the seat upholstery that pattern doesn’t look familiar. Looks like you’ve got all your seat and door hardware and everything though. I think you got a pretty good one, what’s the plan for it?
I was also wondering about the upholstery, I was trying to find an image of some factory fabric, but not getting very far.
My long-term plans are to rotisserie this beauty and hand-work that body back towards symmetry.
Short-term, just collect all the period correct pieces and put that baby together and drive it. This thing will be together and apart a few times before its all done, so I'm not worried about getting everything built then tearing it apart again. I want to feel this rig out so I'll have a clearer path on the restoration.

Someone else on the forum had a set and was looking into reproducing them at some point. I can’t seem to find the thread anymore. Would be quite an undertaking I think to reproduce them - probably have to be an upholsterer that did it. The material is pretty different but I think @Mtntopper is right it probably contributed to the rust in a lot of these trucks as it doesn’t look like it would breathe well at all so any moisture would get trapped underneath.

EDIT: found the thread here. Time to resurrect it

Like @whitey45 said, lots of LV owners would love to have those floors! The great news is it doesn’t appear (at least for now) that you have a lot of parts to find or major body work to do. That’s where piecing one of these wagons together gets expensive. Hopefully the original drivetrain is in good shape too. Did you get that home as well?
Thanks for the info the floor vinyl, good stuff. The factory floor liner had a thick rubber backing too, I wonder how close the new stuff is to that.
I brought home the original drivetrain but not in good shape. I have the original F135 plus another F135 that didn't work for them and was pulled too. They're both siezed, been sitting with the manifolds off. I don't think they've been sitting outside because the paint is somewhat present on both of them. I also have what I was told is the original gearbox, transfer and PTO. Also got another three speed with transfer, and a 4 speed. Conition of all the gearboxes is unknown, they do spin.
20211008_142058.jpg

Did these things come with the side-shifter gearboxes originally? Or maybe the original has been replaced with an older unit?
20211008_142001.jpg

Great to see this. Thanks for sharing it with us. Looks Iike it has stories worth many lifetimes. Are you going to allow it share them or do you want a new leaf (bolt off restoration)?
I want to put it together, drive it, and let it speak to me for awhile. As I go along, I will just add things to a list for an in-depth restoration. I'm open ended on the timing of all of that.

Did these things come with the side-shifter gearboxes originally? Or maybe the original has been replaced with an older unit?View attachment 2807296

Great LV Mtntopper! You’ve been on a roll recently with great early Cruisers out of MT 😎

That’s definitely a later 3spd and t-case.

The seat upholstery is not original. In the US market the original interior seats had a dark outer grey band with a lighter grey insert. Pictured below.

3BFB1D82-9381-42FB-944C-38A897F16348.jpeg

The white pyramid vinyl floor mat as others have noted is original. Only the LV in the US market got these while abroad they were also available in the 40, 43,45s . They where white until mid late ‘65 at which time they switched to a black pyramid vinyl until the end of the LV run in ‘67. Also the same white vinyl was used on 40/45 running board from ‘61-‘67

58605450-C985-417F-9AFE-03E082C017AA.jpeg
8370C5DC-E916-4D0B-BC73-4FE536803554.jpeg
0B0AA3BB-D82F-4CDE-BA67-2851BC0D179E.jpeg
0F3982C9-888D-4F80-ACBA-2344DB4661E7.jpeg

Late ‘65 LV with black pyramid vinyl.. hard to see.

C9068B8A-EC2D-4D51-9AE3-D9E706272DD8.jpeg

B187C0C3-E18C-4535-BE1D-C898077A19F9.jpeg

I have a front white floor mat that is 90% complete, missing where the normal wear and tear would be from the drive feet would be. Also they fire wall insulator which yours has remnants of.
6A533586-9B89-4E79-A4B5-3268AEC60510.jpeg
D7F15C3D-B766-4FDC-99D3-E621F3DFF464.jpeg
BD5332F2-577E-4663-98D5-24F47C79C753.jpeg

Been wondering where Mr LV has been! Glad you are back JP! We need some serious updates on the latest project!

Thanks Whitey. You knew I couldn’t resist a good LV find 😎.

I don’t recognize that strap from any drawings. There were straps below the back seat I think for tying it down when folded up? And I’ve seen straps on the b pillars for grab handles too but I’m not sure if those were OEM. My cruiser has a strap in the rear holding an axe in the same spot on passenger side but I’ve always assumed that wasn’t a factory strap.

Where is the tool bag kept in the LVs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom