Thinking of selling my 2020 HE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Rover sells their top line Range Rover in small numbers. Mercedes sells their g-wagon in small Numbers. Hell, Ferrari sets production limits on all their cars. They somehow find a way to get it crash tested and smog tested for the u.s.

The lc is a halo truck that enhances the Toyota brand. They should and will bring it back in the future.

When that happens values of the 200’s should fall back to earth.
Agreed, and since the Lexus version is already being made to comply with US law, getting the LC too should not be too costly.

I think Toyota realizes they can get similar combined sales with only offering one model in the LX and they'll bring an all new Land Cruiser at a lower price point in the future, and in typical Toyota fashion, it will be late in the game after competitors have flooded the space.

As much as I love Cruisers, if the new Tacoma or 4Runner gets some LC features that are more probable with TNGA, I may have kept my 200 and added another smaller rig anyway. Hopefully the next iteration of the 4R and Taco get a better engine, better KDSS, etc.

Sure a gas pig is likely, but also it will likely be much more efficient that the 5.7, which probably sits at as the least efficient among large box gas hogs. If they can get the mpg to push from the 13/17 to 17/21 it would be a huge improvement, and would allow you to get an extra 100 miles per tank, which would be welcome. The lack of range is the biggest issue with the LC. A Gear Patrol article listed a "leaked source" listing 23.7 mpg, with the caveat that the EPA (or other governing bodies since it isn't coming here) may be more stringent.

The non-hybrid Tundra, once tested in the real world, will show us the potential of the TTV6.
This is a valid point that assumes that with the better mileage the current tank size would remain the same. I’d wager that with the better mileage the tank size would decrease to save on weight, thus keeping the range about the same.

This is a valid point that assumes that with the better mileage the current tank size would remain the same. I’d wager that with the better mileage the tank size would decrease to save on weight, thus keeping the range about the same.
I think it has already been established that the tank size on the 300s that have been released already decreased. Could be wrong though.

I think it has already been established that the tank size on the 300s that have been released already decreased. Could be wrong though.
Looks like it loses about 3 gallons, which is a bummer.
Even so, it could net longer range, but a smaller tank is a bummer, but they (hopefully) had a good reason to cut it. Overseas with aux they still have 29 gallons.

There was discussion of tank size in a TFL (YouTube) video where they interviewed the lead engineer for the new Tundra, which is using the new platform shared with the 300 series LC. The tank size was decreased while maintaining the target of being able to drive for about 4 hours between fill ups (the implication was 4 hours of highway driving). The reason to decrease tank size rather than keeping it the same to increase range was, obviously, to reduce weight as gas is relatively heavy.

There was discussion of tank size in a TFL (YouTube) video where they interviewed the lead engineer for the new Tundra, which is using the new platform shared with the 300 series LC. The tank size was decreased while maintaining the target of being able to drive for about 4 hours between fill ups (the implication was 4 hours of highway driving). The reason to decrease tank size rather than keeping it the same to increase range was, obviously, to reduce weight as gas is relatively heavy.
Removing 18.9 lbs (3 gallons) when the rig has full tank is a relatively small inboard weight amount. Swing and a miss Toyota.

The lc is a halo truck that enhances the Toyota brand. They should and will bring it back in the future.
The Land Cruiser is Toyotas best product. Tough to be a halo truck that enhances the brand when 99% of the US population doesn’t know what it is or if they have heard the name say “ they still make those”. That’s here in suv heavy Colorado. I do hope they bring the 300 cruiser back to the USA. It just makes zero fiscal sense for Toyota to do it.

Removing 18.9 lbs (3 gallons) when the rig has full tank is a relatively small inboard weight amount. Swing and a miss Toyota.
Most manufacturers would jump at the opportunity to save almost 20 pounds in one step. Plus I’m sure in this case it came with other packaging, clearance, and probably other benefits I’m not considering because I wasn’t on their engineering team.

If they thought 4 hours of fuel is enough.. they hit that benchmark. And in the markets that “need” more range the sub tank probably isn’t against regulations.

Edit: I agree they should have left tank size alone, I’m just saying I can see why they did what they did.

20 pounds here and there adds up real fast. You guys need to remember that the design goal quite simply isn't to build a vehicle that can go a thousand miles between fill ups. They have other considerations (fuel economy, etc.) that for better or worse have to take priority these days. That same video I referenced had some pretty interesting tidbits about little things that make a big difference, including solving the problem with dust getting stirred up in a pickup bed (they came up with a solution for that) and little plastic fins in a few spots on the sides that help solve the problem of getting thrown around on the highway by the airflow change when an 18 wheeler goes by, and so on.

20 pounds here and there adds up real fast. You guys need to remember that the design goal quite simply isn't to build a vehicle that can go a thousand miles between fill ups. They have other considerations (fuel economy, etc.) that for better or worse have to take priority these days. That same video I referenced had some pretty interesting tidbits about little things that make a big difference, including solving the problem with dust getting stirred up in a pickup bed (they came up with a solution for that) and little plastic fins in a few spots on the sides that help solve the problem of getting thrown around on the highway by the airflow change when an 18 wheeler goes by, and so on.
Hard to say there are good reasons when the overseas version gets 29 gallons with reserve, but perhaps clearance was part of the reason. The 2022 has slightly more clearance, but no idea what clearance changes for clearance at the tank between the two.

Hard to say there are good reasons when the overseas version gets 29 gallons with reserve, but perhaps clearance was part of the reason. The 2022 has slightly more clearance, but no idea what clearance changes for clearance at the tank between the two.
I had thought the conversation was largely focused on what we're getting (or might get) in the USA as different markets have different priorities as well as different government regulations they need to comply with and hence they get a different mix of features. I'm sure a lot of us here on mud would trade more fuel capacity for a slight drop in fuel economy, but we're a small part of an already small market for the LC here in the USA. How many mud members would actually purchase a brand new (not used in a "few" years) 300 series LC if Toyota brought it over here as a Toyota Land Cruiser? I do hope Lexus offers some sort of offroad trim level on the 300 series LX that is essentially the 300 series LC we aren't going to get here. But I'm also very interested to see what Toyota does with the rest of the Toyota SUV lineup in regards to the new platform that is shared with the 300 series LC.

But I'm also very interested to see what Toyota does with the rest of the Toyota SUV lineup in regards to the new platform that is shared with the 300 series LC.
Same. I admittedly haven’t been paying much attention but the 4Runner power train especially is in need of improvement and with what they did on the tundra if they share any of that philosophy there is a lot of promise. (Even if I’m not a fan of the added complexity, personally)

Kinda makes me wonder what they were thinking with the Tacoma v6…

Same. I admittedly haven’t been paying much attention but the 4Runner power train especially is in need of improvement and with what they did on the tundra if they share any of that philosophy there is a lot of promise. (Even if I’m not a fan of the added complexity, personally)

Kinda makes me wonder what they were thinking with the Tacoma v6…
I think the Tacoma is ok with a standard transmission. The auto is what causes issues with that truck in my opinion. I was going to buy one before buying my first 200, and just couldn't stand it (can't do a standard as my wife is too short :) ). Kind of odd, because the 2nd gen auto was awesome while the standard 6 speed was quirky.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about what the new platform will do to the 4R and Tacoma. I'd be happy to jump in a better Tacoma for my commuting and short adventures and keep miles off the 200. My FJ62 and 200 are taking teaming that role now, but wouldn't mind keeping some miles off of both.

The average Land Cruiser owner keeps it for 11.4 years, the most of any vehicle on the market, so maybe you don't really understand the majority of potential buyers.
That's exactly it. The average LC buyer keeps it for over a decade. Most folks, aka customers, no longer have that attitude. The majority of American consumers today have no intention of keeping any vehicle longer than 4 years max. Or they lease for 2-3 years. The manufacturers know this. They spend a lot of time and money researching customers and they give them what they want and attempt to maximize profits. So they don't need to spend the money building a reliable long term mechanically sound vehicle. But that vehicle better have all the modern bells and whistles and Apple Car Play. Range Rover is the perfect example.

Toyota has strong sales around the globe with many different levels of the LC. Just not here. There is no market here for them. Too much competition from American truck manufactures. And at some point they would almost be competing with themselves.

That's exactly it. The average LC buyer keeps it for over a decade. Most folks, aka customers, no longer have that attitude. The majority of American consumers today have no intention of keeping any vehicle longer than 4 years max. Or they lease for 2-3 years. The manufacturers know this. They spend a lot of time and money researching customers and they give them what they want and attempt to maximize profits. So they don't need to spend the money building a reliable long term mechanically sound vehicle. But that vehicle better have all the modern bells and whistles and Apple Car Play. Range Rover is the perfect example.
I get your point, but the Range Rover, unfortunately, isn't the perfect example as they tend to have issues much sooner than ~4 years. My 2014 Range Rover had issues right from delivery, had more issues a few months later, and was traded in for something else (Mercedes G550) after just 6 months because I wanted to own a vehicle that I would have in my possession more of the time than the dealer service center would. Mercedes is possibly a better example because they're somewhere between Land Rover's complete lack of quality control and Toyota's excellent quality control (I hesitate to say perfect, because that really isn't realistic). I was hesitant to own a G-wagon past the warranty period, but I won't really be concerned owning a Toyota product (Land Cruiser or otherwise) past the warranty period.

That’s exactly what happened.

@tacoduck

Unfortunately for everyone who likes the LC especially this forum it is probably never going to come back. Between the 4Runner and sequoia and tundra what purpose does it serve?

The sequoia will be on the TNGA platform anyway and probably be better then the 300 series that is on sale overseas in every way but what enthusiasts would want. That’s the sad reality. It will be cheaper, better tech, better interior room and storage capacity, better mileages, better range, lower weight, and have multiple trd packages like the tundra does now. It just won’t have as much tundra bits in the suspension as the LC would and less material overall but all of that will save a bunch of weight as 95% won’t ever leave pavement. I will put money on all of this, that’s the level of certainty I’m speaking with.
It’s all been obvious since the 300 release, confirmed with the tundra release, and will be triple confirmed with the new sequoia any day now.

The LC was killed off because it didn’t make sense to sell here as a Toyota and like I’ve said before is the only real logic Toyota has proven to actually be using. The rest of their choices with the 300 are laughable at best.

@tacoduck

Unfortunately for everyone who likes the LC especially this forum it is probably never going to come back. Between the 4Runner and sequoia and tundra what purpose does it serve?

The sequoia will be on the TNGA platform anyway and probably be better then the 300 series that is on sale overseas in every way but what enthusiasts would want. That’s the sad reality. It will be cheaper, better tech, better interior room and storage capacity, better mileages, better range, lower weight, and have multiple trd packages like the tundra does now. It just won’t have as much tundra bits in the suspension as the LC would and less material overall but all of that will save a bunch of weight as 95% won’t ever leave pavement. I will put money on all of this, that’s the level of certainty I’m speaking with.
It’s all been obvious since the 300 release, confirmed with the tundra release, and will be triple confirmed with the new sequoia any day now.

The LC was killed off because it didn’t make sense to sell here as a Toyota and like I’ve said before is the only real logic Toyota has proven to actually be using. The rest of their choices with the 300 are laughable at best.
The made in America Toyotas do not even remotely compare to the quality and craftsmanship of the made in Japan models. I've had three LC's, two Tundra's, and two Sequoia's. There is just no comparing them. The Sequoia and Tundra do not have the fit and finish the LC's. Nothing wrong with them, but they feel cheaply made.

Toyota has strong sales around the globe with many different levels of the LC. Just not here. There is no market here for them. Too much competition from American truck manufactures. And at some point they would almost be competing with themselves.
This is spot on. I don't know anyone (besides myself) who keeps a vehicle longer than 4 years. Most are 2-3 years, this seems to be the businesses model for German manufactures, engineer the car to last for a 3 year lease (and warranty period) and then it becomes the 2nd owner's problem. Ask anyone who got a "deal" on a 4 year old BMW...

Range Rover, geez they look fantastic and drive great but good lord their QC is beyond atrocious. It's Russian roulette with 5 in the revolver buying a Land Rover/Range Rover. Just watch the TFL saga on their new Defender (then imagine the hell you would have gone through because you don't have a super popular youtube channel with a gazillion subscribers)

I bought my used LX with the intention of keeping it 10 years or so and then giving it to my son. I got an extended warranty to handle anything that pops up in the first 4 years. I guess I timed it right because used 200s have increased significantly in price.

Last edited:
As the thread title indicates, I'm considering selling my '20 Blizzard White HE. I absolutely love the truck, but I am missing the open bed of a pick-up and I really don't have the room to keep two trucks. 14,000 easy miles. I've not been keeping up with the market. What is a late model 200 going for these days? Only mods are OEM front spacers, OEM running boards, fifth BBS wheel and five new Nitto Terra Grapplers (LT285/65R18). Thanks in advance.
Not exactly what you were looking for....but would you be willing to part with (sell) the OEM running boards? Bought my first LC, a 2021 HE, and my toddlers are having trouble getting in. Took my 4Runner to 250k and finally had to get more space for the kids and dog (and associated gear). Already saved my butt in a random Houston flash flood a few weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom