Pappy's Canada Adventure 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Well, I'm home. First off,:flipoff2:, just because you all are going to whine about the lack of pictures. Lots to take care of before I process cameras. So, you will just need to accept that I did get my Garmin 64 uploaded. Here is the map. BTW, the little waypoint in the bottom right is Shawn's place. Garmin says I went 8500 miles.

I will give a short "carnage" report. 1) bolt to the battery hold-down went MIA. Bought a new bolt and washer at a Canada Tire store in Whitehorse. 2) Weld to the tailpipe hanger let go. Will melt it back together it in a few days. 3) My speedometer is acting goofy. 4) Lost my phone. Worse carnage of all. No, I didn't drop it in a river, or a lake. I don't have a great story to go with it. Just a dumb-sh!t move.

Oops, forgot one piece of carnage. When I was on the ferry/barge crossing the Yukon River to the Top of the World Hwy, a worker had us packed in nose-to-tail rather tight. As he was trying to wiggle between me and the car behind me he bumped my license plate light and broke it.

Adventure Map.jpg

Last edited:
WHEW! That was a lot of pics. Too bad I lost the pictures on the phone. OK, buckle up. I will try and caption those I remember where I was.
-------------------------

Dragon Lake, off the Canol Rd.

IMGP6296.jpg

On the Canol Rd, at the MacMillian River #1 bridge.

IMGP6318.jpg

On the Canol Rd.

IMGP6443.jpg

On the Canol Rd.

IMGP6514.jpg

Last edited:
A small assortment of the pics I took of the Canol Road graveyard. The Canol was built to run an oil line from one side of the mountain to the other. In the process, they abandoned the equipment. It is now a heritage site. No picking.

IMGP6341.jpg

IMGP6347.jpg

IMGP6359.jpg

IMGP6375.jpg

Yep, flat head V8.

IMGP6386.jpg

Last edited:
On to the Dempster Highway. It was simply a muddy mess.

IMGP6573.jpg

Campground at Tombstone Mountain Terr Park.

IMGP6576.jpg

IMGP6578.jpg

IMGP6601.jpg

At the car wash in Eagle Plains. Ten Loonies to pressure wash the truck.

IMGP6608.jpg

Last edited:
More from the Dempster Highway.

IMGP6610.jpg

Riverside camp.

IMGP6655.jpg

IMGP6535.jpg

Miles of muddy potholes.

IMGP6546.jpg

A bunch of fall color.

Along the south Canol Rd.

IMGP6491.jpg

IMGP6513.jpg

IMGP6524.jpg

IMGP6251.jpg

Dragon Lake, north Canol Rd.

IMGP6316.jpg

More fall color.

Ponds on the north Canol Rd.

IMGP6339.jpg

IMGP6451.jpg

IMGP6468.jpg

Two Moose Lake, Dempster Hwy.

IMGP6594.jpg

Foggy valley, Dempster Hwy.

IMGP6669.jpg

A few tourist pics. Not really my thing, but ...

Sign post forest. Watson Lake, Yukon.

IMGP6697.jpg

IMGP6698.jpg

IMGP6702.jpg

Glacier on the way to Stewart, BC

IMGP6710.jpg

Carcross Desert.

IMGP6674.jpg

Last edited:
A few more.

The entrance to Hyder, AK.
The original plan was to visit Hyder, then drive up to the Salmon Glacier outside of town. Unfortunately, I would have needed a negative CV19 test to get back into Canada. So the entrance sign had to do. The border agent said I could walk safely up to the yellow gate, just out of frame.

IMGP6586.jpg

Oh, I guess one more corpse off the Canol Rd.

IMGP6488.jpg

One of the many bridges.

IMGP6278.jpg

What was under the bridge.

IMGP6273.jpg

Ferry at the town of Ross River that took me to the north Canol Rd.

IMGP6279.jpg

Last edited:
A few close-ups.

IMGP6232.jpg

IMGP6237.jpg

IMGP6565-10.jpg

Last edited:

Really glad to get back in the USA.

IMGP6712.jpg

Progress on the house Shawn and Jill are building in Troy, MT. Basement walls are up.

IMGP6714.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Beautiful . Glad you got to do this trip. Looking forward to hearing more about you adventure. Overall, it sounds like your truck held up well.
Did you stay warm, most nights?

Thanks for the pictures. Beautiful . Glad you got to do this trip. Looking forward to hearing more about you adventure. Overall, it sounds like your truck held up well.
Did you stay warm, most nights?
Most of the days were cloudy, so nights were not that cold. I only had three clear nights which put the morning temps between 23°-29°. The rest of the nights were mostly in the 40's. I bought a new sleeping bag just for this trip and it worked great. It was actually colder on my USA camps due to the clear skies. All of my US camps were in the 30's.

Absolutely beautiful scenery! Sounds like an incredible trip! Did you need to change oil, lube driveshafts, etc. along the way? That’s a lot of miles. Glad the temps weren’t bad. How about bugs - mosquitoes or others?

A bit of a different experience than your Baja trips!

Absolutely beautiful scenery! Sounds like an incredible trip! Did you need to change oil, lube driveshafts, etc. along the way? That’s a lot of miles. Glad the temps weren’t bad. How about bugs - mosquitoes or others?

A bit of a different experience than your Baja trips!
I went in Sept to avoid the mosquitoes, and hopefully get some fall color. I was successful on both. I did have some other mosquito-like flies that were occasionally annoying, but not biting. As far as oil change, this engine uses oil, and I added the equivalent of an oil change during the trip. So the oil change will happen in a few days. I greased the driveshafts before I left. The only lube point I really could have used were my spring shackles.

A little humidity goes a long way. Thanks for sharing, Pappy. Beautiful country. Reminds me to go see it before I can't.

Wow, awesome pics Jon, thanks for taking the time to tell the story. I can't even imagine that fuel bill!

Wow, awesome pics Jon, thanks for taking the time to tell the story. I can't even imagine that fuel bill!
I can. I just paid it. Most of the stations are "Cardlocks." Unstaffed pumps. Some look like regular gas stations without the convenience store. Others are giant above-ground tanks with a booth on the side with a machine. If you wanted gas you had to pay with a credit card. Then there were regular gas stations in the towns. Fortunately, the credit card I was using was a "travel card" and they didn't charge me any fees to use it in Canada. Plus, I got a good exchange rate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom