Master list of all rear drawer options for the 200-series Land Cruiser (US market only) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background info...

I had a set of ARB drawers and side fit kit in the bed of my Tacoma; I'd like to follow suit with my 200, as I think drawers were one of the best modifications I made to that vehicle. As the aftermarket for the 200-series continues to grow in the US, a consolidated list may be of benefit to not only myself, but this forum. This has been an evening project that I've been working on for the past week and I would like to share.

This thread will be my attempt to consolidate all of the rear drawer options commercially available in the US for the 200-series Land Cruiser. I know some additional foreign products exist, but import/shipping fees and product support make these offerings less practical; due to this, they will not be included in this list. I hope my effort is beneficial to the market research of other 200-series owners - as it can be time consuming to monitor new product releases and forum chatter. If I overlook any products, or get a detail incorrect, please add a mention in the replies (or PM me) and I'll edit this original post for accuracy.

For the purpose of this thread, a 200-series specific drawer system:
  1. Has drawer module(s) that fit in the rear of the vehicle without any type of modification (beyond removing the third row seats and/or carpet)
  2. Has either an integrated or detachable 200-series specific trim/wing kit that creates a flat, or somewhat flat, platform in the rear of the vehicle

Drawers are listed by manufacturer, in alphabetical order, with a link to the manufacturer's product webpage; unit dimensions and general material composition will be mentioned as well. I'm going to leave stock photos off the list as Mud limits the number of photos per post (I would quickly max the limit after the first five products). Prices will not be directly referenced as continually updating this thread to track ever-changing MSRPs would be impractical.

If, for whatever reason, any of these units become discontinued, I will edit the thread to create a legacy drawer list for secondhand market reference. If any drawers would already fall into such a list, let me know in the replies with any relevant info you may have.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience in the maintenance of this thread, this will be an on-going project. Please verify with the respective manufacturer any information listed here, as there could always be a typo in my work and product specs are subject to change.

Cheers :beer:,

-Steve

---

The List
(by manufacturer in alphabetical order)

I am currently tracking there are 9 manufacturers that produce, or companies that import, a dedicated 200-series specific drawer system in the US:

1. Air Down Gear Up
  2. ARB 4x4 Accessories
  3. Big Country 4x4
  4. Dobinson's
  5. Frontrunner Vehicle Outfitters
  6. Goose Gear
  7. Ironman 4x4 America
  8. Landshark Outfitters
  9. TrekBoxx

*more info on each in the below list.

---

1) Air Down Gear Up - SS1 Platform / Drawer SS1 V2

---

2) ARB 4x4 Accessories - Outback Solutions Roller Drawer System

• Materials: Galvanized steel frame and body, fully-sealed roller bearings, water resistant bonded marine-grade plywood top panels (with grey marine-grade carpet), and grey plastic trim / lockable handles
  • External Dimensions: *varies depending on module selected (see below)
  • Internal Dimensions: *varies depending on module selected (see below)
  • Weight: *varies depending on module selected (could not locate on manufacturer's webpage)
  • Drawer Capacity: 330 pounds (each) / 600 pounds (combined)
  • Manufacturer webpage: Modular Roller Drawer Systems | ARB 4x4 Accessories - https://arbusa.com/storage-solutions/outback-solutions-drawers/
  • Additional webpage of interest: ARB Drawers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/arb-drawers.1213850/
  • Notes: Individual modules can be stacked or mounted side-by-side in a myriad of configurations; Fit Kit is required (at an additional price - model number below) for a finished, uniform appearance (adds additional side storage compartments); a welded Cargo Barrier and Rear Rack and Divider are also available as optional accessories

*Known applicable drawer model numbers:
  • RD1045 Fixed Top Drawer / External: 41"(L), 21'(W), 11'(H) / Internal: 37.5"(L), 18.3"(W), 8.7"(H)
  • RDRF1045 Roller Top Drawer / External: 41"(L), 21"(W), 11"(H) / Internal: *not listed at this time
  • RFH1045 Half Height Floor Drawer / External: 41"(L), 21"(W), 7.5"(H) / Internal: *not listed at this time
  • RF1045 Roller Floor Drawer / External: 41"(L), 21"(W), 5.5"(H) / Internal: 38.8"(L), 17.7"(W), 3"(H)
  • 200FK +'08-'21 Side Panel Fit Kit
---

3) Big Country 4x4 - Savute Drawer

*Applicable drawer models:

---

4) Dobinsons - Rear Dual Roller Drawer System

*Applicable part numbers:
Dual Drawer Kit: RD80-1000
Drawer Wing Kit: DW59-025K LC200 Side Wing Kit

---

5) Front Runner - Land Cruiser 200 Series Drawer Kit
*Applicable part numbers (in each kit):
  • SSTL004 (overall kit part number)
  • 1 x Drawer base unit (SSDR005)
  • 1 x Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Drawer Deck Completion Set (SSDS103)
  • 1 x Wing Set (SSWS003)
---

6) Goose Gear - Side X Side Drawer Module
*Applicable part numbers (in each kit):
  • SXSLC200-410940-50 (BLK, GRY, or WHT)
  • PLC200-v2 (required Rear Plate System)

---

7) Ironman 4x4 America - Locksafe Twin Drawers
  • Materials: Galvanized steel frame and body, 12mm marine-grade plywood (with black marine-grade carpet), and metal lockable T-handles
  • External Dimensions: 39.37"(L), 40.16"(W), 10.82"(H)
  • Internal Dimensions: 37"(L), 17.72"(W - single), 8.11"(H)
  • Weight: 220 pounds
  • Drawer Capacity: 220 pounds (each)
  • Manufacturer webpage: Locksafe Twin Drawers - 1000MM - https://ironman4x4america.com/locksafe-twin-drawers-1000mm/
  • Notes: Twin drawer unit / not separable; a single drawer unit appears to be available; Drawer Wing Kit (200 Series Land Cruiser) is required (at an additional price - model number below) for a finished, uniform appearance (adds additional side storage compartments)
*Applicable part numbers:
200-series compatible Locksafe Twin Drawer: ITD1000
Drawer Wing Kit: ITDW020

---

8) Landshark Outfitters - Reef Drawer 40

---

9) TrekBoxx - System Bravo (and Alpha)
  • Materials: Baltic Birch coated in Line-X or Line-X Extra (color options available), Accuride drawer slides, soft-close hinges, welded steel cargo barrier
  • External Dimensions: Could not locate on manufacturer's webpage, but the system occupies the entire rear cargo area of the vehicle (similar to other full-width drawer systems)
  • Internal Dimensions (each drawer / they appear to be symmetrical): 37.5"(L), 14.5"(W), 9"(H) (specs per Ed Martin Toyota on YouTube)
  • Weight: Could not locate on manufacturer's webpage
  • Drawer Capacity: Could not locate on manufacturer's webpage
  • Manufacturer webpage: TLC200SB — TrekboxX Expedition Systems - https://www.trekboxx.com/tlc200sb
  • Additional webpage of interest: Trekboxx Drawer System for 200 series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trekboxx-drawer-system-for-200-series.1022967/
  • Notes: This is the crème de la crème of drawer systems with a corresponding price point and professional webpage; I'm sure the manufacturer could provide all data specs that I missed upon request (I suppose this info was left off their site to prevent a clutter of info, or maybe I simply did not click the correct link(s)); note also that the System Alpha has even more features than the Bravo (integrated fridge and food prep / kitchen components); additional drawers, platforms, and dividers are available as optional accessories

///END OF LIST\\\

---

EDITS:

11 SEP 21: Thread created.

12 SEP 21: Added a definition in the Background section to clarify, for the purpose of this list, what constiitutes a 200-series specific drawer system.

12 SEP 21: Added Big Country 4x4 to the list (thanks @catastrofe !) - stats to follow when I have the time to research and update.

19 SEP 21: Updated thread to capture full details of the Big Country 4x4 200-series drawer system.

15 JAN 22: Updated the link to Goose Gear’s 200-series rear drawer system; the old link was dead.

Last edited:
well done, here's a kit also. I have one in my 80.

drifta 200 kit from AUS
Can you confirm which US distributor you purchased the Drifta drawer system from?

I just ordered the Ironman system. With current coupon promotion it's $871 shipped to my house. Sweet.

After checking out many drawer systems, I feel that the airdown gear up system is the lightest on the market, whilst the trekbox system being the heaviest

I just ordered the Ironman system. With current coupon promotion it's $871 shipped to my house. Sweet.

Killer deal! Once installed, please post a few photos here and I’ll link post in the Ironman section of the list.

After checking out many drawer systems, I feel that the airdown gear up system is the lightest on the market, whilst the trekbox system being the heaviest

Can you confirm the ADGU and TrekBoxx weights?

Landshark says 100# in a drawer. (Might've been in the ih8mud thread and not mentioned on the website). Having done my own UHMW drawer I can say that they'll probably hold 200# or more but sliding a really heavy drawer on UHMW sucks.

Would be interesting to add approx price for comparison. Also realistic use as single vs dual drawer. (Landshark can easily be done as a single drawer. Dobinson's I think could be but the exposed side is bare metal so it's not really designed for that, for instance). FWIW when I do these sorts of comparisons myself I tend to put it into a spreadsheet table for easy comparison. Feel free to use or ignore all of this paragraph ;)

BTW if you want a reference, my DIY single drawer, which was designed similar to the Landshark, was about $400-500 in parts. So the Reef is pretty much the lowest cost option out there.

After a couple of years of ownership I cannot recommend the landshark product.

*edit for clarity

I really wanted to love these drawers. Upon delivery the lumber was a bit out of spec. The result was a set of drawers that never "slid" in/out properly. They were somewhat acceptable when empty, but when filled even with light items such as camping pantry items, the drawers required a tremendous about of force to open and/or close. I could handle it with two hands, but my wife never really could. My kids, no chance.

The business owner was responsive to the issue and gave advise on how to adjust, and re-square the box. Several emails with detailed measurements (which my drawers met) were shared. This went on for over a year, resulting in me taking the drawers in and out of my truck 6-10 times to try to fix and square. For long periods, I would just take them out because my wife could never really use them and she often daily drives the cruiser. I had their original design with the slides on the side of box, these flex a lot in use, and coupled with out of spec lumber, just was never going to work. I tried my best, I line-xd them to match my interior, I loved the concept, space maximization, weight, appearance, and materials.

They are out of my truck now, and I have plans are to

A. maybe narrow the drawers, so I can add roller slides. At this time I will also add burlier 80/20 hardware because the frame is a bit flexy for my taste
B. somehow add teflon sliders underneath, to make them more like the drifta offering and the native design would seem to allow for this
C. replace them with something else

Last edited:
After a couple of years of ownership I cannot recommend the landshark product.
Curious what issues you've had?

I built my own based on their design (when they were unavailable for purchase) so hopefully I don't experience those issues...

I see someone already mentioned Rugge Bound

I have these installed, excellent product.

Can you confirm which US distributor you purchased the Drifta drawer system from?
i ordered mine from Luke- way back a long time ago....he said I was the first shipment he had delivered. I figured you'd have to pay on his website and wait for it... he was talking to some folks a few years ago here in the states, but i dont think he ever finished that project.

but the drawers are great quality, the ABS slides are absolutely silent.

Last I heard, Kakadu Camping is only NA distributor for Drifta. They're located in British Columbia and I know you want to keep list US based.

The more I look into the Big Country drawer system, the more I like it. The company seems to be well sorted. Are the drawers actually made in South Africa? If that is mentioned in one of the videos; I admittedly haven’t watched them all yet. The craftsmanship and materials appear to be top notch.

Also noticed from the photos, in the group buy thread you linked, that there seems to be a healthy tolerance between the outside of the actual drawer housing and the wheel well plastic trim. From what I’ve seen on here, dual ARB drawers rub and blemish this plastic trim over time - as the metal housing/frame (or whatever it’s called) slightly touches the plastic and vibrates against it during normal use; not good. The Big Country drawers appear to be a much better model-specific product.

The more I look into the Big Country drawer system, the more I like it. The company seems to be well sorted. Are the drawers actually made in South Africa? If that is mentioned in one of the videos; I admittedly haven’t watched them all yet. The craftsmanship and materials appear to be top notch.

Also noticed from the photos, in the group buy thread you linked, that there seems to be a healthy tolerance between the outside of the actual drawer housing and the wheel well plastic trim. From what I’ve seen on here, dual ARB drawers rub and blemish this plastic trim over time - as the metal housing/frame (or whatever it’s called) slightly touches the plastic and vibrates against it during normal use; not good. The Big Country drawers appear to be a much better model-specific product.
Yes, there is no rubbing. They are made in South Africa and they are solid. Best part is the install, super easy as the drawers are one piece. Just need a friend to help you lift and slide it in. Bolt it in, bolt up the front side pieces and that is it.

Yes, there is no rubbing. They are made in South Africa and they are solid. Best part is the install, super easy as the drawers are one piece. Just need a friend to help you lift and slide it in. Bolt it in, bolt up the front side pieces and that is it.

I also have the Rugged Bound system, but in my 80. Very well built, no rattles, easy to work with. Don’t even know they’re there. Very happy.

Trying to justify a set for the 200 to the wife!

I know this is on my 80, but I wanted to show the fit.

EDC6B0EC-96F1-4567-AD43-6621A0C229D2.jpeg

B85BECF4-9E9D-4545-B97E-26E7C58833A7.jpeg

02FC3A0C-4851-4EC6-9988-361FC6CCDF30.jpeg

5497E753-18DD-445D-B10F-40DDA8EC4A5C.jpeg

B1D92C9B-6543-41F7-A312-594E57B8337E.jpeg

Alternate perspective on the Landshark Reef:

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Landshark, and would recommend the Reef drawers to anyone who doesn't have the tooling or skill to build quality cases, as well as people who aren't ready to spend on the ready-to-install options.

Mine have the hdpe slides under the drawers, so may be a bit newer design than the version @Itsky has?

Everything fit right, nothing was out of spec. Assembly was pretty straightforward and the instructions were well documented. I've used them on both a '13 and a '16 land crusier.

Keep in mind they are a "customize it yourself" option, so need some finish work. I added automotive carpet to the top and automotive vinyl to the vertical surfaces.

I'd really want the Trekboxx drawers, but can't justify the all-in cost. I'm not that impressed with the ARB, Dobinsons, and similar mainstream offerings made of metal. If you're in a similar situation, I highly recommend giving the Landshark Reef a shot.

My only minor frustration, if you can even call it that, is that Dave is pretty much a one man shop, and has had several periods (including now), where he just closes up shop. Related to this, he has struggled with having ready to ship inventory, which was frustrating as a buyer ready to make a purchase. It took a long time for the drawers to be in stock, and I had to buy accessories as they became available, rather than up front. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

That being said, Dave has always been helpful and communcative, and I prefer to do business with the independent shops that cater to our small cruiser market.

The other option that I'd consider if I were buying today are the Air Down Gear Up (ADGU). They weren't on the market when I was buying, but I like what they've done. Not sure where the cost lands though, as I recall, they are a more premium option than the Reef if you go with like for like configurations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom