Driver seat re-cushioned.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scratch entire last post!!!

Would you shave 1/2" off bttm or leave as is? Im 6'0" ...not overly tall but if taking 1/2" off be better...ill do that

I am 6"1" and I did not shave off the bottom of the cushion. You can see in the side by side shot there is a difference in height and then imagine the old one compresses and the new one stays firm so it is noticeable, but I have gotten used to it now and am still glad I changed them out. Over time it will settle some but you really keep the support, which I needed big time. My truck needed a new suspension when I got it so really leaned when I turned....my old seat would have dumped me out of the truck if I would not of had a door.

I am 6"1" and I did not shave off the bottom of the cushion. You can see in the side by side shot there is a difference in height and then imagine the old one compresses and the new one stays firm so it is noticeable, but I have gotten used to it now and am still glad I changed them out. Over time it will settle some but you really keep the support, which I needed big time. My truck needed a new suspension when I got it so really leaned when I turned....my old seat would have dumped me out of the truck if I would not of had a door.
Ya...mines that that bad id fall out (i dont think) but the support is turrrrible. Im a big guy ...and all 290lbs of me just compresses down ...killin my hip+back. And i really dont drive all that far with it. Ill be stoked to get it sorted!! Thanks

FYI height of driver is not a good indication of headroom in a vehicle. Some have long legs and short torso etc. for instance I am 6’3 with a 34” inseam but a tall torso so basically no known seat on the planet fits me stock. I spent a year before I found a racing seat in the uk that fit my torso and shoulder height properly. So just a heads up that two 6’+ people may sit in the same seat completely differently.

Thoughts on having auto upholestry shop just re do seat vs SOR seat?? $250/280 (shop foam) VS $375/430 (SOR foam) both incld install.

I’m about to do this. I’m going myself with the SOR foam and new leather covers. While I’m in, gonna add heated seat elements. Nothing feels better on my old worn out back than heated seats. Plus my wife has the seat heaters on in 100 degree weather!!

Feels like im getting ripped off when I see one foam cost 200 dollars and a pair is 330. For FOAM!??
Anyways, I don't need a pair but maybe if someone wants to go half on a set and live close to each other, maybe that would be a better option.

Feels like im getting ripped off when I see one foam cost 200 dollars and a pair is 330. For FOAM!??
Anyways, I don't need a pair but maybe if someone wants to go half on a set and live close to each other, maybe that would be a better option.
´]°Г§<§Ω°[ i wldve dont this....

I am 6'1" and use the SOR seat foam. No issue on height and you sit comfortably. I drove to Colorado and back with mine and the new seat bottoms. Never once did I feel like I uncomfortable, aside from being older I was fine.
Long range tank I filled up about every 400 miles to give you an idea.

Also I would get the angled hog ring pliers. I found it did make a difference.

I am 6'1" and use the SOR seat foam. No issue on height and you sit comfortably. I drove to Colorado and back with mine and the new seat bottoms. Never once did I feel like I uncomfortable, aside from being older I was fine.
Long range tank I filled up about every 400 miles to give you an idea.

Also I would get the angled hog ring pliers. I found it did make a difference.
Next time in Co swing by...Coffee + Cigars always on tap!!!

Wow so in a little over a year the prices have jacked. Is there any other source for the cushions?
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 3.43.48 PM.png

Whoa! Inflation is real. I paid $330 for the pair not even 6 months ago.

I recommend the SOR foam and vinyl covers they sell. It’s a perfect kit, fits exactly right, and I did each seat with zero upholstery experience in about 2 hours per seat.
Pull the seats.
Disassemble and reinstall new foams.
SOR foam is firm.
Super firm.
And about 2” taller than old mushy seats.
I like it. But it takes getting used to.
All told, I reformed front seats and recovered front and rear seats, with SOR vinyl front and rear, plus all new carpets from DNP.
My rig is like new inside. The difference is downright amazing. Totally worth the effort.

I should also add, the seam in the front of the passenger seat came apart during install - it had been sewn incorrectly. SOR replaced quickly and free of charge - their service really is top notch.

D267BD48-64A3-47F7-9B5B-298AE132B956.jpeg
2E44AF7D-3106-4265-AB66-0F821FD1EBA4.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom