What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@leonard_nemoy is that an actual "range," or just a good spot you know about?

It's not an official range, and I'm not sure I would even call it a "good spot".

I would call it an adequate spot to shoot that is very close to home. I just have to get there early in the morning and I can safely set up and shoot my rifles out to about 600 yards. But usually by 10 AM all the mall ninjas start showing up. The type that love mag dumps with their snazzy AR pistols and steel core ammo using their trash for targets at 25 yards, all while idiots on side by sides and dirt bikes are riding where they shouldn't be.

The location in my photos is completely legal for shooting but requires a high degree of awareness to stay safe.

Cool. I keep hearing about a couple of spots like that near me, I just haven't done any real networking to get out there yet. Having a place be public certainly has its drawbacks.

Started replacing some of the heater hoses and heater valve and noticed a portion of the rear heater hardline at the firewall that was very rusted and flaky and looked like it had been leaking. After replacing the hoses ran it and sure enough there was a leak. Pulled the new hoses and bypassed the rear heater with some 5/8 heater hose. Found one with a 90 degree bend at the auto parts store that worked well. Very glad I found the leak in the garage before it became a much bigger leak out on the trail.

Was also experiencing a lot of venting when removing the gas cap. Replaced the charcoal canister with a VC120. Problem solved.

IMG_5016.jpeg

IMG_5020.jpeg

IMG_5019.jpeg

Took the big dogs for a walk. Rear locker only, still aired up at 34 PSI.

This is a tough wedge obstacle - it’s hard to see in the vid, but for some perspective this is my sons 3rd Gen Runner on 35’s rear locker almost going over.

View attachment 2742782

This out at hart men’s in gunnison?

Well, got a little more done this weekend. Installed the FoMoCo racing 90 deg oil filter (I likes!) attendent oil change, straightened out some buggered wiring done by a shop who worked on my starter when I did not have time, ordered the bolt the same shop left out that secures the top of the starter, made a new #2 conductor for the starter so I can re-route it to allow better access to equipment, removed and painted the chain tensioner (I did not realize it wasn't painted when I rebuilt the motor and could not stand the rust any longer) and started plumbing in the hydro boost. Also received word that my recovered steering wheel is on the way! Plumbing the hydro boost is taking longer than I had hoped as routing lines to allow access to parts for servicing, making sure it looks okay and layout are more labor intensive than I thought...

Some pics:

View attachment 2743253
View attachment 2743257
View attachment 2743258
View attachment 2743267
I like that oil filter adapter!

I like that oil filter adapter!
It is sweet. I also installed a new bung (you can see it partially threaded in one of the pics) from Improved Racing so I can use standard Toyota filters if I wish. I look forward to not spilling oil down the side of the block, on the floor, on my arms and in my hair from now on!

I watched a special on this not too long ago. Archeologists have now determined that this site was primarily cerimonial and was built to align with the seasonal variations of sun, moon and stars. Even more fascinating is that these people were able to coordinate the construction with outlying pueblos to also align with the seasonal movements of the heavens. I have yet to visit this awesome place but it is on my not too distant bucket list. Thanks for sharing!

Amazon product ASIN B08VF91V4L

It is sweet. I also installed a new bung (you can see it partially threaded in one of the pics) from Improved Racing so I can use standard Toyota filters if I wish. I look forward to not spilling oil down the side of the block, on the floor, on my arms and in my hair from now on!
Any chance you've got a part number for the adapter and or the bung?

I watched a special on this not too long ago. Archeologists have now determined that this site was primarily cerimonial and was built to align with the seasonal variations of sun, moon and stars. Even more fascinating is that these people were able to coordinate the construction with outlying pueblos to also align with the seasonal movements of the heavens. I have yet to visit this awesome place but it is on my not too distant bucket list. Thanks for sharing!

Amazon product ASIN B08VF91V4L
Yeah, it is indeed a very magical place.

It's not an official range, and I'm not sure I would even call it a "good spot".

I would call it an adequate spot to shoot that is very close to home. I just have to get there early in the morning and I can safely set up and shoot my rifles out to about 600 yards. But usually by 10 AM all the mall ninjas start showing up. The type that love mag dumps with their snazzy AR pistols and steel core ammo using their trash for targets at 25 yards, all while idiots on side by sides and dirt bikes are riding where they shouldn't be.

The location in my photos is completely legal for shooting but requires a high degree of awareness to stay safe.
Hey, I like mag dumps but it's with a race gun, so that's allowed right?

Totally get the challenges with range idiots though. There's been plenty of times I've set up somewhere in the mountains only to have some idiots set up near by and me leave shortly after. As soon as people anywhere nearby stop exercising good trigger and muzzle control, or start wandering up to me and asking about what I brought to the range, I'm out.
Cool. I keep hearing about a couple of spots like that near me, I just haven't done any real networking to get out there yet. Having a place be public certainly has its drawbacks.
It's hard near Seattle - I drive a couple of hours north to an area I found above the Sauk river between Darrington and Concrete. There's some public pits up there, but they're sketchy, packed and filthy. I head further up to some old clear cuts and set up to about 450 yards. I'm also lucky enough to have a friend with a membership who takes me to the King County range in Ravensdale which is really well kept and goes out to 600, but you're going to be shooting right next to others - safe, but the noise and brass showers suck. I prefer the mountains with a suppressor so I can shoot without sweaty muffs and I can BBQ and chill as long as I want without feeling like I'm hogging a lane.

Other than waiting on a couple of dash switches for lights and wireless winch on/off, finished up with my bumper and winch install this week. Real happy with outcome.
Bumper Front.jpg
Bumper Side.jpg
Winch Mount.jpg
Winch on table.jpg
Winch mounted.jpg

Monday was part of my weekend. I spent the day hiking and scouting a new area to hunt this fall.

While exploring I spotted some feral horses.

20210726_150426.jpg

Than on the drive home I got caught in a gnarly rainstorm so I figured I better make a detour into some canyon country to watch for flash floods and enjoy the summer rain.

20210726_161557.jpg

20210726_161320.jpg

20210726_160547.jpg

20210726_161907.jpg

20210726_162017.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom