What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just like @ClassyJalopy I also got Weather Tech Floor Liners in Gray. I also did some other things...

IMG-4103.jpg

IMG-4104.jpg

Picked up some Ts from Cruiser Yard on eBay and a "TEQ" front emblem from bh3dprinting.com.

IMG-4166.jpg

As you can see, one of my old Ts was on its last legs. I had to pull a hose to be able to extract a small piece that had broken off and remained inside.

IMG-4147.jpg

IMG-4165.jpg

Last edited:
(Continued)

And then I addressed those hazy fog lights by removing them, gently wet sanding them under a faucet with 1500 grit sandpaper and then going over them with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and an orbital buffer. I then finished it up by applying a light coat of paste wax to protect them. Not bad for a "what've I got to lose?" approach to improve them.

IMG-4158.jpg
IMG-4159.jpg

I also removed my rear wind deflector (and my roof rack just prior!). I love the look, but am bummed the holes remain behind as does paint wear and even some bending of the sheet metal from the repeated opening and closing of the lift gate with the weight of the wind deflector attached. My plan is to take it to an auto body shop to see if they can make the imperfections less noticeable.

IMG-4157.jpg

Lastly, I had removed my factory trailer hitch. I unplugged the wiring connector, but this left a plug exposed to the elements. I yanked the wires out of the corresponding connector that wasn't going to be used and filled those holes with Permatex Silicone RTV to seal them off and essentially provide a cap to the otherwise open-ended connector.

MacGyver would be proud.

IMG-4162.jpg

IMG-4163.jpg

Last edited:
Discount tire said these "hub caps" were fatigued and wouldn't properly go back on when I got new BFG's a couple months ago. eBay wants 10 greenbacks a piece for new ones - clearly that's not Scottish.
View attachment 2743046
so a couple of passes (exactly 4) with fancy electrical tape and they fit like, well... um... like they're gonna stay on till they don't? Let's call it snug.
View attachment 2743047
#science, #ifitsnotscottishitscrap
Add a little bit of silicone to the worn down edges. Mine Started to fit loosely and rattle on the trails so this fixed them up and now they are nice and tight.

Earlier this summer my partner and I decided we needed to do more camping before the fire season on the West Coast got really bad. Laid out a plan to basically do a week long trip and then almost every weekend after until it wasn’t safe due to fire danger/air quality.

Before heading out I had a few projects I wanted to finish on the truck to get it ready. First up was installing a diff drop and some torsion bar reinforcement brackets from @Ironman 4x4 USA. Both went on like a piece of cake.
View attachment 2742901
At the same time I decided to re-index the torsion bars and adjusted the height to better match the new springs. Next was taking it to the dealer to get one of the rear wheel bearings replaced and an alignment done. Happy to report it seems to have been fixed on the first try. Back in my hands it was time for some more interior work with switching out the old shift indicator plate, making some more progress on my custom drawers, and giving the interior a nice detail (which promptly got nice and dirty).

About two weeks ago we went on the week long trip up in the Sierras. Amazing time off-roading, swimming, and general camp shenanigans.

On the night of the 13th we saw some massive amounts of dry lightening which was spooky. The next day we learned this had sparked the Dixie Fire.

The rest of that trip finished fine and the next weekend was back up in Tahoe for more camping while I was working a motocross endurance race. The sheriff even brought out their off-road rig. Picture of my little sidekick to keep the pictures somewhat LC related.

This past weekend was back up in the Sierras for another weekend camping adventure. We were not as lucky this time and the trip ended up getting cut short after just one night when the wind changed and the air quality went from great to not real quick. Ended up driving back with everyone else.
I installed my brackets almost a year ago but keep putting off drilling the wholes to put the bolts into LOL... Has been fine so far.

(Continued)

And then I addressed those hazy fog lights by removing them, gently wet sanding them under a faucet with 1500 grit sandpaper and then going over them with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and an orbital buffer. I then finished it up by applying a light coat of paste wax to protect them. Not bad for a "what've I got to lose?" approach to improve them.

View attachment 2743431View attachment 2743432

I also removed my rear wind deflector (and my roof rack just prior!). I love the look, but am bummed the holes remain behind as does paint wear and even some bending of the sheet metal from the repeated opening and closing of the lift gate with the weight of the wind deflector attached. My plan is to take it to an auto body shop to see if they can make the imperfections less noticeable.

View attachment 2743445

Lastly, I had removed my factory trailer hitch. I unplugged the wiring connector, but this left a plug exposed to the elements. I yanked the wires out of the corresponding connector that wasn't going to be used and filled those holes with Permatex Silicone RTV to seal them off and essentially provide a cap to the otherwise open-ended connector.

MacGyver would be proud.

View attachment 2743440
View attachment 2743441
I did the same with my fogs till I got to the driver's side and the nut seized on the stud so couldn't get the housing off to wet sand and polish.

I thought I'd share my latest mini-project on my LX470, a custom tailgate cover. This is made with hydro-turf boat deck foam glued to a 1/4 inch plywood template. It's attached with bolts into rubber expansion nuts in the original trim clip locations. Nothing fancy, but way better than the carpet that was there before.

IMG_5746.jpeg
IMG_5745.jpeg

Monday I drove it the farthest I've taken it since pulling it apart in February. The new suspension is awesome and everything feels drum tight. Naturally, I drove it to the gas station and back.

Yesterday, I started on cleaning up the hitch. I pulled the tab for the trailer plug off and ground it smooth, as I plan to relocate that someplace higher up. Then I started sandblasting it, but as it turns out, the factory hitch coating is pretty damn tough, so I didn't get as far as I would have liked.

Hopefully I can get a little further on the body work this week.

Doing an oil change on the 100 and tundra and found the tundra radiator leaking.

quick googling and an oem radiator is $208 from the local dealer, wonder why can’t the 100 radiator be that cheap lol.

also slapped on a shower / toilet room

6B78C034-F87E-44B9-8916-1FB35F68AA63.jpeg
351FA8C7-C809-4469-BFB8-40E928B59B25.jpeg

Had a horrible noise coming from the front end. Had no idea as its lx470 and I was driving with the windows up. But with the windows down it was insane. Decided to replace the upper and lower ball joints on both sides with 555. What an epic pain in the ass that turned out to be. The ball join kit wouldnt fit, so I had to cut and weld to make my own. Either way, they are in and done. Took two days.. bahhh...The bottom passenger side was toast.

image_72192707.JPG

Doing an oil change on the 100 and tundra and found the tundra radiator leaking.

quick googling and an oem radiator is $208 from the local dealer, wonder why can’t the 100 radiator be that cheap lol.

also slapped on a shower / toilet room

View attachment 2743905View attachment 2743906

What room did you end up going with? It's Overland...something. I've been looking here and there and trying to sort out which option might work best.

TIA!

What room did you end up going with? It's Overland...something. I've been looking here and there and trying to sort out which option might work best.

TIA!
I went with the overland vehicle systems room, seems to be pretty good quality and heavy duty fabric. With my research most of the were nearly the same with different hinges and fabric.

I thought I'd share my latest mini-project on my LX470, a custom tailgate cover. This is made with hydro-turf boat deck foam glued to a 1/4 inch plywood template. It's attached with bolts into rubber expansion nuts in the original trim clip locations. Nothing fancy, but way better than the carpet that was there before.

View attachment 2743755View attachment 2743756
what color did you use? i'd love to do the same thing to mine

Had a horrible noise coming from the front end. Had no idea as its lx470 and I was driving with the windows up. But with the windows down it was insane. Decided to replace the upper and lower ball joints on both sides with 555. What an epic pain in the ass that turned out to be. The ball join kit wouldnt fit, so I had to cut and weld to make my own. Either way, they are in and done. Took two days.. bahhh...The bottom passenger side was toast.

View attachment 2743911
Did you push new bushings in the control arms? I’ve been wrestling with my wallet. I’m thinking of replacing the whole dang thing. My ball joints still “sound” good and visually show no damage. 21 years and 232000 miles, it’s lurking around a corner….

View attachment 2743911
Yeah that job was way harder than I thought it was gonna be. Congrats on getting it done!

View attachment 2743755View attachment 2743756
Nice, I like all the custom things you’ve done with your rig

Did you push new bushings in the control arms? I’ve been wrestling with my wallet. I’m thinking of replacing the whole dang thing. My ball joints still “sound” good and visually show no damage. 21 years and 232000 miles, it’s lurking around a corner….
I'm thinking of pulling out control arms and take to a shop to replace bushings, that's my plan. Let me know if that's not a good idea. Got fed up with that job after replacing upper control arm ball joints :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom