Talk me out of a 4Runner TRD Pro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Or maybe don't talk me out of it. I really just want to educate myself a bit more about the vehicle. Currently I own a '21 Land Cruiser HE. What a fantastic truck. Recently though I can't stop looking at the 4Runner TRD Pro in Lunar Rock. I'm considering adding one to the stable.

It would be completely unnecessary to buy the TRD Pro, as my family already has two vehicles and we don't need another one. It seems they're very hard to find and most dealers are marking them up.

Anyway, here are my questions. If I'm able to locate one for MSRP, would it be crazy to buy one in addition to the Land Cruiser? I mean, is the LC much better in every way that I'd wind up being disappointed with the 4Runner? Or is there simply too much overlap between the two vehicles? I know the build quality and durability of components of the LC is much better than those of the 4Runner.

Would love to hear any advice or feedback. I'm reading up on the 4Runner online, but I know there's a wealth of information from the users here. Thanks in advance.

Or maybe don't talk me out of it. I really just want to educate myself a bit more about the vehicle. Currently I own a '21 Land Cruiser HE. What a fantastic truck. Recently though I can't stop looking at the 4Runner TRD Pro in Lunar Rock. I'm considering adding one to the stable.

It would be completely unnecessary to buy the TRD Pro, as my family already has two vehicles and we don't need another one. It seems they're very hard to find and most dealers are marking them up.

Anyway, here are my questions. If I'm able to locate one for MSRP, would it be crazy to buy one in addition to the Land Cruiser? I mean, is the LC much better in every way that I'd wind up being disappointed with the 4Runner? Or is there simply too much overlap between the two vehicles? I know the build quality and durability of components of the LC is much better than those of the 4Runner.

Would love to hear any advice or feedback. I'm reading up on the 4Runner online, but I know there's a wealth of information from the users here. Thanks in advance.
Have your driven a TRD Pro 4Runner? I’d start there.

I have not driven one. Hardly any dealers anywhere near me even have one in stock. I found a couple of dealers about 75 miles away that have one (asking a $5K markup), but they won't allow a test drive.

Agreed that you should drive one. Personally, I don't think there's any overlap in that one completely eclipses and outclasses the other one. By far. This is one of those things where the marketing, look, and styling won't measure up to reality once you try it. Because you've been spoiled by the cruiser.

Don't get me wrong. The 4R is a great and respectable ride. I had a 4th gen, but in V8 flavor and still have fond memories of it. But I know I'd be disappointed the moment I'd drive a new one. Especially as they are all tepid V6s.

In 2017 the wife and I started the process of looking at replacing our 2006 Honda Pilot (it had 180K on it and was starting to squeak) . I wanted a LC200 but only if I could find a 2 year old with low miles. We looked at all the offerings in Mid to Full size SUV that could tow 5000lb or better. My wife did not like 4 runner Ingress and Egress for here it was difficult or just odd I think she said. The interior was not to he liking and ride she described as to much like my T100. My thought on vehicle was that is was true body on frame more like truck than SUV. Fit and finish were fine and it drove well. I did not have problem in ingress and egress but I still enjoy driving my T100. I think in Mid size SUV it probably best bang for your dollar based on capabilities. We ended up with 2016 LC200 that had 14,400 miles in 2018. My wife likes LC far and above the 4runner but she liked the Pilot more than she likes the LC, women. If it make you happy buy the 4 runner if you can find one. You only live once.

You are looking at a car with less towing, less capability, a worse ride, and much less comfort.

go for it if you can’t live without it - but I thought I would never sell my T4R, but here I am
stepping into a five year older LX.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll admit I love the styling and look of the TRD Pro. Superficial, I know.

Maybe I should drive a base model 4R to get a feel for it? But the suspension would be totally different, so it may not be a fair assessment.

rscoleman - great point about your wife not liking the 4R. There's a decent chance my wife won't like it either. She wanted an Audi Q8 or Mercedes GLE rather than the LC. Took a heck of lot of convincing for me to go with the LC. And I'm still not sure she's in love with it.

I have a buddy that has a 4R, he loves it. It's his third 4R in a row, says he will never drive anything else. His only gripe is that when he goes to the mountains it struggles, according to him. Reliable/dependable all that Toyota goodness.

I like the looks of it, but I sure would not trade my LC in for a 4R. I know you said it would be an addition not a substitution, by the way, just saying.

Anyway, around here in Dallas and the surrounding country, it is perfectly fine for doing anything except maybe pulling a trailer, albeit not as comfortable or capable.

We have a 2018 TRD Pro 4-Runner in the stable. IMO, stock for stock, it is more capable in many situations... lighter weight, smaller size, great suspension, rear locker. It will outright smoke a LC (w/ stock susp) on a decently bumpy road. The lighter weight makes it easy to throw around both on road and off... The 4.0l is adequate, it will get up and boogie, but it requires a lot of throttle... I frequently think Magnuson Supercharger... or 5.7 swap.

With that said, my wife prefers the BIG 200.

Get the off-road trim and KDSS bars, add better suspension than the TRD PRO comes with, be better off.

I had a 2017 Off road with KDSS. Great truck off road, terrible on road. Underpowered V6, ancient 5sp that spends all it's time hunting for gears. My 2013 LX is light years ahead in terms of drivability and there is barely any fuel mileage penalty. The 4Runner gets terrible mileage.

In Colorado it was beyond frustrating to drives in Hilles/Mountains.

I did like the HVAC controls, cup holders and roll down rear hatch window but none of that could make up for the engine/trans combo.

I just traded in a 2018 trd pro 4R for a 2021 LX. I would have done the LC but the wifey forced my hand. I really enjoyed the 4R but man it just doesn’t compare to the LX. My only regret was not making the change earlier. I was in an FJC for a while before the 4R. The biggest disappointment of the 4R was the power. Add a bumper, sliders, etc and it really suffers.

As a side note, not sure the status of the ‘21 Trd pro 4R, but mine came with the bilstein suspension. I ended up ripping it out for something with more lift because at the time there were wasn’t much you could do to upgrade the bilstein lift or load capacity.

bloc - you're right, I could probably buy an ORP and upgrade it for less than the cost of a TRD Pro. But I like the idea of the vehicle set up from the factory the way I'd want it, with full warranty coverage. I probably wouldn't mod the TRD Pro at all, or very little if anything. Resale value would also be higher on the TRD.

NCNB - when you say the 4R is less capable, would a stock LC be more capable off-road than a stock 4R TRD Pro?
As far as my use case, I wouldn't do any towing with the 4R. I have a F350 diesel if I wanted to tow (but I don't currently do any towing). The 4R would really just be for around the town, fun, casual drives and occasionally going off-road on moderate trails. If my wife winds up liking the 4R, she could use it as a family hauler for her and our 2 year old son

I'm rationalizing it in my head that if I were to get a TRD Pro at sticker price, I probably wouldn't lose a lot of money if I decided to sell down the road. But who knows, that may or may not be the case.

Last edited:
bloc - you're right, I could probably buy an ORP and upgrade it for less than the cost of a TRD Pro. But I like the idea of the vehicle set up from the factory the way I'd want it, with full warranty coverage. Resale value would also be higher on the TRD.

NCNB - when you say the 4R is less capable, would a stock LC be more capable than a stock 4R TRD Pro?

As far as my use case, I wouldn't do any towing with the 4R. I have a F350 diesel if I wanted to tow (but I don't currently do any towing). The 4R would really just be for around the town, fun, casual drives and occasionally going off-road on moderate trails.

I'm rationalizing it in my head that if I were to get a TRD Pro at sticker price, I probably wouldn't lose a lot of money if I decided to sell down the road. But who knows, that may or may not be the case.
I did trade my 3 year old pro in for more than what I bought it for.... and It had been run pretty hard.

Rest truck, everyone has one… LC great truck very few have one….

I like my 2020 4Runner. I think the 4R is actually more reliable for a daily (more 4R out there with very few common issues the LC had with limited sales in the U.S.-think, radiator, cam tower, valley plate...), but it is not as strong for offroading. If you add armor thr 4R becomes more underwhelming. With good soundproofing you can get a 4R really quiet. Ultimately, my wife liked the smaller size of the 4R for parking in tight garages.

Dollar for dollar, a 4R is a great bang for the buck.

That said, I never take our 4R on road trips, the Land Cruiser just drives so much better. We really like the 4R, and have owned a 2012 and now 2020.

I'm just hoping the next gen 4R gets the TTV6, and is continued to be built in Japan. I worry a key downside to TNGA will be the end of imports from Japan.

The V8 4R from 03-09 hit the sweet spot for 4Runners. Putting a more powerful drivetrain in the 4R would make a world of difference.

I have both.
I like both.
Are there shortcomings that they both have, yes.

The 4Runner would be sublime with more power and a smoother engine. A 4Runner with the 5.7 would be awesome. Where it also lacks is the interior appointments. The cushioning on the armrests could be improved and it should either be offered with the seats from the Limited trim as an option of cloth seats as an option regardless of trim. Softex seats are convenient but they do get hot after a while IMO.
Headlights on the 4Runner have been improved with the 2020 models and beyond so that is no longer an issue.
4Runner has lots of trickle down tech from the LC 200 like crawl control and MTS, in TRD PRO trim it does look good.
Think of the current 5th GEN 4Runner as the modern day 80 series and it'll make more sense.

The LC 200 is without a doubt an improvement in every regard above and beyond the 4Runner. Better interior appointments, more power, very good headlights and it has all the tech the 4Runner doesn't have.
The armrests have thin cushioning and the center armrest should be real leather with ample cushioning. Door cards should be leather as well and the entire seat, not just the seating surface. Toyota definitely found ways to save money but the build quality, capability and durability are lightyears ahead of the competition.

Where the LC could have been improved IMO is Toyota should have offered a similar trim level to the TRD PRO in LC trim instead of the Heritage trim.
Change the facia, add the TOYOTA bar, add a nice aftermarket suspension with a mild lift and offer those BBS forged wheels in a more concave design with an offset similar to the RW wheels and bump the power up to 400hp.
Give us a truly modern 80 series look similar to what they are now doing with the 300 series facia.

Rest truck, everyone has one… LC great truck very few have one….
The benefit of a common vehicle is ample replacement parts in junkyards and aftermarket.

On a road trip a parts store is much more likely to have a 4R part compared to a LC part in stock.

It’s gutless and the interior is cheap. No thanks! Hope that helps. Lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom