Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great!!! You doing AC? That’s a busy corridor on Keaton’s build as well.

Looks great!!! You doing AC? That’s a busy corridor on Keaton’s build as well.

I would like to have AC but that may have to wait a little while. I have not figured out which unit would work best yet either. What AC unit is Keaton planning to use? I expect the front of the radiator is going to get full. I am not sure where the condenser would fit.

He did some research. I am pinging him here.
@Cowboy45

I threw the front end on to confirm the space between the bib and radiator was accurate with the fenders holding the bib pretty close to where it will be.
BB77B825-9911-47B9-BE36-6A59746EBBCC.jpeg

Looks like I have gained a little room. The transmission cooler should fit.
B3D9886B-4742-4FDF-92FD-6474C0B42EBB.jpeg

Some have mounted the transmission cooler with an electric fan on the fender. Not ideal, but an option. Stance looks great BTW.

You've got enough room for an AC condenser in front of the radiator, you may have an issue once you get the transmission cooler in there. If you only had the PS cooler it would fit fine.
That is what I am afraid of. I may have to look into a custom radiator that has the cooler ports for the transmission at the bottom but I would need both ports on the passenger corner to stay out of the way of the fan. I am not sure if that is a possibility or not.

I was looking at the old air IP-2100 but have not found measurements for the condenser yet. I need to figure that out before I make any big changes.

If I had kept the manual transmission I would have avoided the transmission cooler. 🙁

Some have mounted the transmission cooler with an electric fan on the fender. Not ideal, but an option. Stance looks great BTW.

The engine bay is going to get tight. I hope to find a way to keep all the cooling up front.

I am glad you like the stance I am really happy with it. It was what I was looking for.

I have the old air Hurricane system for Vera in a box. The condensor, you could pick several sizes but the width likely is the same. Here is what the website shows for options from them.

1627307927811.png

1627307940635.png

Most new radiators these days have the automatic cooler built in. There is usually no need to special order the tranny cooler. But if you are going with a Terrain Tamer OEM replacement radiator, you may need to special order a tranny cooler,Georg will know.

Most new radiators these days have the automatic cooler built in. There is usually no need to special order the tranny cooler. But if you are going with a Terrain Tamer OEM replacement radiator, you may need to special order a tranny cooler,Georg will know.
Yeah I have had one like that before but because of how low and close my fan sits to the radiator I will need both ports for the lines located in the lower passenger corner to avoid any potential contact. I have not researched yet but figured I would have to make a custom radiator to get the cooler ports in the corner and fit my application.

This is an epic thread. Not only are you doing a great build, you also appear to be having fun while you're doing it.

This is an epic thread. Not only are you doing a great build, you also appear to be having fun while you're doing it.
Thanks for the kind words. It is a fun build kinda like putting a puzzle together with pieces from a bunch different puzzles that most need a little modification to fit. There are nights I get so wrapped up in solving a problem that I will be up until 2 - 3 am before I realize how late it is. It is fun on it’s own but the help and comradery I get from the members of this form take it another level. I can’t wait to drive this thing!

Last edited:
I called Ron Davis and found that they can build the radiator with the transmission cooler in it and the ports coming out of the bottom. I am going to look tonight to make sure this would work. If does, this would solve my problem and leave plenty of room for the ac condenser.

We are doing Ron Davis as well on Keaton’s 45. Mainly to get hose connections to work. Not cheap. Robust.

We are doing Ron Davis as well on Keaton’s 45. Mainly to get hose connections to work. Not cheap. Robust.
This will be my third Ron Davis radiator. I really like their quality. Not cheap though.

I have Ron Davis unit in my 45 and have been pleased with it as well.

I would like to have AC but that may have to wait a little while. I have not figured out which unit would work best yet either. What AC unit is Keaton planning to use? I expect the front of the radiator is going to get full. I am not sure where the condenser would fit.

I think I found two that I was planning to use. One might be for a right hand drive rig and the other I think is center mounted. I will find the links and edit this post when I got em. Looks like you sorta got it figured out but you can still take a look if ya like.

EDIT

Vintage Air Gen II Compac: Search Results - Vintage Air - https://www.vintageair.com/search-results/?sqry=Gen%20II%20compac

^^ Talked to @samc2447 about this unit. (Vintage air rep.) There is a mock up unit you can buy just to do test fitment as well. The condenser dimensions I came up with for my rig are below too.

Condenser Dimensions: 17 x 19 Thickness: 3/4 inch

Second unit turned out to be right hand drive so that won’t work for you. Hope this helps!

- Keaton D.

Last edited:
@Cowboy45 Thanks Keaton for the follow up and links. I am baulking on the idea of drilling hole in my dash to install vents. I am considering the vintage air surefit model but I don’t love the five bug eyed of the vents under the dash. I am contemplating some other options including no AC at all. I will keep overthinking it until find something I am happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom